Beaded Thong Bookmarks

Beaded bookmarks--often marketed as "Book Thongs" and sold for seven to ten dollars at bookstores, but easy to make and an excellent project to use up odd bead leftovers from other projects. These also make lovely gifts--especially if you are also giving a book!

Approximate Time 10 Minutes

• 12 inches of waxed linen thread, embroidery floss, or thin ribbon
  • assorted beads and spacers--usually around ten pieces

Instructions:

1. Tie a double overhand knot or square not in one end of the thread, string, or ribbon. Be sure that the knot is bigger than the hole of the bead you wish to use (see picture)
  2. String beads on the knot end of the thread, string, or ribbon. I usually add about an inch and a half's worth (see picture). Tie a knot at the end of the beads when the arrangement is to your liking. Again, be sure that the knot is bigger than the holes in the beads.
  3. If you're nervous about making sure the bookmark is long enough to span a book, do a trial run with a book. Mark with your finger the appropriate length of thread, string, or ribbon (see picture).
  4. Repeat step 2 on the other end of the thread, string, or ribbon.

5. Tie off the end so that no beads escape and you have a beaded bookmark suitable for reading or for gift giving! See the main picture for the finished product in use!

By Stephanie from Anchorage, AK

By Linda in Alabama (Guest Post)

I love it! I'll make some of these for myself, and for gifts. These would also be good for VBS or Sunday School crafts, using the "Bible" beads that they sell.

By Barb. (Guest Post)

What an awesome easy craft. Simple for anyone looking for quick gifts. It's also from a fellow alaskan.....Anch. here too.......YOU GO GIRL!!!

Making these for a fundraiser item...working on them as I type...lol Love that I can do them almost anywhere....and any color scheme....

By Mo (Guest Post)

i have made these for several years. i usually THEME them . like using pink beads and a pink ribbon charm on 1 end and pink beads and a pink on on the other end for a breast cancer theme.[i am a breast cancer survivor ] i carry a bunch of them in my purse and give them as thank you tokens to people who go out of their way to be nice and helpful.

Crafts BeadworkJuly 23, 2007
📓
🐛
🌻