Buy Meat In Bulk

When buying ground hamburger for my family, I have found that buying in bulk and freezing is a great way to save us money. But, how do you store all the meat? I have learned that if you buy a package of hamburger that is about 6 pounds, you can separate the meat into quart size ziplock bags (a pound a piece). To save room in the freezer, after you zip the bag, push the meat flat in the ziplock bag. The bags can then be stacked in the freezer to save room, and when you take them out to thaw they thaw in half the time because you have a small layer of meat to thaw. It has saved us much time and money!

Source: A friend, Barbara

By melissamodica from Goldsboro, North Carolina

If you have children, you might even want to freeze some of the hamburger in patties in sandwich bags, then put them in the larger freezer bag. They thaw in microwave using "defrost" in about 2 minutes and then can go into the frying pan.

I also divide very large roasts into roast, stew beef, and steak. Much cheaper that way.

This is my "Duh" moment. I never thought about storing meat flat like this. I've put them into patties, but never something as simple as this! Great tip, can't wait to try it. :)

August 12, 2010 Flag

Buy large quantities of meat (hamburger or chicken). It is usually cheaper this way. Then separate it out into 1 lb amounts or however much your family eats and label and freeze it.

By Nicole from Eden Prairie, MN

February 2, 2010 Flag

I cook up 10 pounds of ground beef at a time and then I divide it up into one pound packages (our family's size) and just freeze it. Then when I get home from work, all the hard stuff is done and I can make tacos, casseroles or whatever fast.

Buy More Meat

I also add onion and green pepper when I cook the meat. (05/19/2009)

By Anonymous

A stack of raw beef tenderloin.
Saving Money on Meat
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingAugust 12, 2010
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
A jar of homemade salsa.
Freezing Salsa
Green apple sitting on the lid of a canning jar.
Canning Apples
Adult Diapers
Buying Adult Diapers in Bulk