Browsing: Uses for Old Records

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Old Records

Some old records have value, but some are either too scratched or too common to be collectible. There are ways to reuse old records to make them into something new and wonderful. This is a guide about uses for old records.

Uses for Old Records
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 20, 2015 Flag

Here is a way to reuse vinyl records as a tier for any treats you want. Make a party conversation piece with your favorite records.

server with cupcakes

September 29, 2010 Flag

Do you have an old LP/record, but no player? Make this unique and stunning cuff bracelet for next to nothing!

Vinyl Record Cuff Bracelet

December 4, 2015 Flag

Here is a way to recycle a vinyl record by melting and turning it into a holding display case for your iPad or tablet. You can also use it for magazines or mail.

completed case

April 6, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a signed vinyl record party keepsake. This creative party keepsake records the names of your guests and may be mounted or framed as a reminder of a fun get-together.

Making a Signed Vinyl Record Party Keepsake

April 6, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a vinyl record table centerpiece. For a music or nostalgic themed party this might be the perfect centerpiece.

Making a Vinyl Record Table Centerpiece

August 2, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with old record albums? These are classic albums some warped and some in pretty good condition. I was thinking about maybe framing some for interior decor or selling them online, but I have never even been on eBay or anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

By Joanne A.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Google "how to make record album bowls. You can make chip/snack bowls out of old record albums by getting them hot an folding them up into a bowl shape. I've seen them and they look very cool.

I've also seen alot of record albums lately in antigue shops organized according to genre. We get a kick out of going thru them and finding cool albums.. make sure they play well first before ttying to sell them. We get them for a few bucks a piece in antique shops.

Read More Answers...

February 8, 2012 Flag

This is a guide about making vinyl record bowls. Vinyl record bowls are easy to make and a are cool way to recycle your old records.

A bowl made with an old vinyl record.

July 8, 2012 Flag

Anyone have cool ideas for repurposing old vinyl records?

By Donna

My son-in-law makes really cool bowls with old LPs. He microwaves them for about 1 minute (until softened but not melted), then carefully drapes them over an upside-down glass bowl and shapes the edges into a wavy pattern. I have several, and they are very durable and a real conversation-starter!

I see above a link for a bowl. I made one! It's really cool with colored candies like those bright licorice ones w/the pink, blue & yellow with black in it or for nuts & stuff for a party. You could also follow that (bowl) for the heating instructions & fold almost in half to make a wall rack for mail or other paper things to get out of the way & organized. Just drill 2 holes through it at each side - inside on the top & screw it in the wall. Good luck. : D

Read More Answers...

June 30, 2008 Flag

I desperately want the instructions for the vinyl album purses, can anyone help?

Evonne from Smithville, TX

First of all, if both companies claim to have a patent, then one is infringing on the other. Why then, are they letting each other continue? Isn't the original holder of the patent responsible for policing those in violation? Doesn't the original holder also have to file any legal complaints in the state & county where the violation is taking place? And then the original holder is only eligible for a percentage of the profits from the other. In that case, wouldn't it be almost too expensive to pursue? I would think most companies won't show large profits either. How do the companies that manufacture designer bags and other items get away with it? I would think that Gucci, and the others would have the resources to take on these little guys, and they don't seem to stop it, so how would a small purse company?

There are more than 1 patent on the"recordpurse" Each one is different enough from the others that patents were issued. Three that I know of. The patent states that if the item has a,b,c and d parts and you make one that's a,c and d (skipping the d part)or abc and e parts (again skipping a part plus adding one of your own)you are not infringing on the patents. The key is to drop at least one aspect of the patent. If something requires a washer and you can make a better product by not including it, you do not infringe.

Read More Answers...

May 23, 2011 Flag

I have some old albums. I have seen them made into bowls by melting them in a regular oven, over oven proof bowls and bent into shape.

I would like someone to tell me how to do this, as I would love to make some bowls from these old albums to put homemade cookies in for gifts. I love to give unusual gifts.

I know these bowls can only be used for cookies and snacks because of the hole in the middle, but I would rather recycle the albums instead of throwing them out. I like to recycle as much of things as I can. Can anyone help me with this project? You can contact me through this site. Thanks in advance.

By Peggy in PA

We used to make them by laying them on top of an oven proof bowl covered with aluminum foil. Heat your oven to 300 degrees and watch them soften. Using gloves take them out and shape them as you want but leave them on the bowl to cool. They can be painted or decorated as you wish. There are numerous sites to show you how to do this.

There is also this link from the ThriftyFun archives with lots of how to information:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf895928.tip.html

Please be sure to line the vinyl bowl with a cloth if placing food in it because the type of plastic the vinyl contains can leach it's chemicals into the food otherwise.

Read More Answers...

January 5, 2014 Flag

Does anyone have an idea for recycling old vinyl records, other than send to Op Shop?

By Bevyanne

It is a very good idea to recycle vinyl records and reuse plastic and get home organized. In the recycling process old albums are shredded and melted down to create new pressings. These process can be used both in traditional or non-traditional ways.

Load More
Better Living Green Living RecyclingFebruary 8, 2012
Selling Vinyl Records
Selling Vinyl Records
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 11:38:57 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.