Uses for Old Records

Category Recycling
Uses for Old Records
Some old records have value, but some are either too scratched or too common to be collectible. There are ways to reuse old records to make them into something new and wonderful. This is a guide about uses for old records.

Here are some ideas for old vinyl records.

A Record Clock

My husband made a clock out of one of our old records. It's pretty cool!

By Diane

Make a Record Bowl

I have an idea for old records scratched a little or whatever; I remember years ago when we put the records in the oven at a very, very low heat, not enough to melt, but just barely enough to make the record bend; if you have another easier way to warm the record. Bend the sides upwards to form a basket shape; then you could put a decal or design in the middle & paint as desired.

By Beulah

Art From Record Shards

You can break some into pieces and decorate some frames for the person in your life that loves to dance or that loves music. You can even splatter the pieces with some paint before you glue them to your frame.

By Deb in Canada

Bake Sale Plates

I cover mine with foil and use them to put bakery items on for our school/church bake sales.

By Jan

Table Decorations

The high school graduating class of 2004 used old records on the tables, one for each graduate. They had been spray painted silver. Each grad was given a black marking pen and boy did they have fun going around the room getting other grads to sign their record. Their name was written on what looked like the thing they snap down in front of the camera when making a movie to tell which scene is next. The theme of the grad was Hollywood. A few antique cars were also brought into the room to be used in the background when taking pictures.

By valleyrimgirl

Read 1 Comment

Simple use for vinyl records!

Approximate Time: 5 minutes

Instructions:

Simply place records over a fancy drink glass or vase and place flowers in the middle. Pretty for a party.

You can also do this with houseplants (keeps them moist longer) or even in your garden to hold down weeds around your growing corn stalks/veggies.

By AHA! from Sterling, PA

I desperately want the instructions for the vinyl album purses, can anyone help?

Evonne from Smithville, TX

First of all, if both companies claim to have a patent, then one is infringing on the other. Why then, are they letting each other continue? Isn't the original holder of the patent responsible for policing those in violation? Doesn't the original holder also have to file any legal complaints in the state & county where the violation is taking place? And then the original holder is only eligible for a percentage of the profits from the other. In that case, wouldn't it be almost too expensive to pursue? I would think most companies won't show large profits either. How do the companies that manufacture designer bags and other items get away with it? I would think that Gucci, and the others would have the resources to take on these little guys, and they don't seem to stop it, so how would a small purse company?

There are more than 1 patent on the"recordpurse" Each one is different enough from the others that patents were issued. Three that I know of. The patent states that if the item has a,b,c and d parts and you make one that's a,c and d (skipping the d part)or abc and e parts (again skipping a part plus adding one of your own)you are not infringing on the patents. The key is to drop at least one aspect of the patent. If something requires a washer and you can make a better product by not including it, you do not infringe.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with old record albums? These are classic albums some warped and some in pretty good condition. I was thinking about maybe framing some for interior decor or selling them online, but I have never even been on eBay or anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

By Joanne A.

Google "how to make record album bowls. You can make chip/snack bowls out of old record albums by getting them hot an folding them up into a bowl shape. I've seen them and they look very cool.

I've also seen alot of record albums lately in antigue shops organized according to genre. We get a kick out of going thru them and finding cool albums.. make sure they play well first before ttying to sell them. We get them for a few bucks a piece in antique shops.

Anyone have cool ideas for repurposing old vinyl records?

By Donna

My son-in-law makes really cool bowls with old LPs. He microwaves them for about 1 minute (until softened but not melted), then carefully drapes them over an upside-down glass bowl and shapes the edges into a wavy pattern. I have several, and they are very durable and a real conversation-starter!

I see above a link for a bowl. I made one! It's really cool with colored candies like those bright licorice ones w/the pink, blue & yellow with black in it or for nuts & stuff for a party. You could also follow that (bowl) for the heating instructions & fold almost in half to make a wall rack for mail or other paper things to get out of the way & organized. Just drill 2 holes through it at each side - inside on the top & screw it in the wall. Good luck. : D

I have some old albums. I have seen them made into bowls by melting them in a regular oven, over oven proof bowls and bent into shape.

I would like someone to tell me how to do this, as I would love to make some bowls from these old albums to put homemade cookies in for gifts. I love to give unusual gifts.

I know these bowls can only be used for cookies and snacks because of the hole in the middle, but I would rather recycle the albums instead of throwing them out. I like to recycle as much of things as I can. Can anyone help me with this project? You can contact me through this site. Thanks in advance.

By Peggy in PA

We used to make them by laying them on top of an oven proof bowl covered with aluminum foil. Heat your oven to 300 degrees and watch them soften. Using gloves take them out and shape them as you want but leave them on the bowl to cool. They can be painted or decorated as you wish. There are numerous sites to show you how to do this.

Anonymous

There is also this link from the ThriftyFun archives with lots of how to information:

http://www.thri  f895928.tip.html

Please be sure to line the vinyl bowl with a cloth if placing food in it because the type of plastic the vinyl contains can leach it's chemicals into the food otherwise.

Does anyone have an idea for recycling old vinyl records, other than send to Op Shop?

By Bevyanne

It is a very good idea to recycle vinyl records and reuse plastic and get home organized. In the recycling process old albums are shredded and melted down to create new pressings. These process can be used both in traditional or non-traditional ways.

How do you make record album purses?

Rena from Harrisonville, MO

Answers:

Record Album Purses

Hey I made a record purse too()! I made mine with less clear vinyl (because I wanted to save for another purse) so I used pleather (vinyl). This way I was also able to make inside pockets for pens, glasses, snacks and phone, etc. So it would take 3 vinyl pieces for one record side:clear vinyl,insert front record cover, colored vinyl facing record, and pocketed vinyl facing away from record. I would then sew it together to keep it from shifting. I used the clear vinyl used to protect furniture, tables: the thinner kind. Good luck. I don't have pics on this computer, sorry. If you are interested please search record purse in craft tips, or if you want to see the pockets just write me and I will find the photo.

Editor's Note: Here is Starchild's record sleeve purse craft project:

(04/30/2007)

By Starchild in VT

Record Album Purses

(05/01/2007)

By melody_yesterday

Record Album Purses

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_accessories_purses/article/0,1789,HGTV_3227_2829066,00.html

This is the one done on the Carol Duvall show. (05/03/2007)

By micksgirl

I am looking for instructions on how to make a purse out of record albums. I have seen purses made from the front and back of the album cover and have seen purses using the record, itself, for one of the sides. If possible I would like instructions on how to make both kinds. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Joni from Colstrip, MT

Answers:

Record Album Purses

Here's one we have on ThriftyFun:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf81185662.tip.html (04/29/2007)

By ThriftyFun