Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Spray Starch

Does anyone have a good spray starch recipe?

Gail

By

By MARIE06/10/2009

Could you use lemon juice as a preservative, as you use it in canning to kill bacteria.

By Chuck (Guest Post)05/09/2008

To Sirima: I have given the idea of preserving your spray starch some thought. I have a few ideas that will probably work, but I have not tested any of them. If any of you do, please post your results on here for our benefit. Spray starch is great food for yeasts and bacteria, so I'm not surprised it spoils quickly. We need to identify preservatives that are fabric safe, inexpensive, relatively easy to purchase, and effective.

1. Grapefruit seed extract (GSE). Notice I said grapeFRUIT. Don't mistake this for grape seed extract. This is available at health food stores, about $10 a bottle that will last you a long time. You would want to use about 5-8 drops per quart of solution. You could use up to 12, I believe. It is acidic, and you don't want your starch to be too acid, or it will reduce the stiffness of the starch, and acid could hurt your clothes over time. But 7 drops of GSE will work safely. It has no odor or color. GSE is a strong natural antibacterial, and it's used in many natural body-care and home cleaning products. I think it's the best of my ideas here.
2. Essential oil of lavender. Lavender is antiseptic, but I don't know how much to use. The fragrance will transfer to your clothes. Some may like this, and some may not. I think I'd start with 6 drops. This is a rather pricey solution, as lavender is about $1 per ml.
3. Tea Tree Oil (TT). It is antiseptic, but some may find the fragrance of TT unacceptable for use in clothing. I'd use about 1/2 tsp per bottle of starch.
4. Silver. My suggestion here would be to drop in a clean genuine silver coin or piece of jewelry into your starch bottle. Silver is antibacterial. In the old days, people stored food in silver because it retarded spoilage.

You will have to test these ideas and see how long they preserve the starch solutions. Best wishes.

By sirima (Guest Post)03/14/2008

I used the recipe by Pat Sym it work very well, highly appreciated if any one can tell me how to keep the liquid ironing starch last long. Thank you

By LEONA LABINE [40]02/21/2008

# 1 tablespoon cornstarch
# 1/2 cup water
Directions

1 Mix the cornstarch and the water in a saucepan over medium heat (not boiling) until mixture is smooth and transparent.
2.Let it cool enough so you can safely pour it into a spray bottle.
3.Voila!
4.You're ready to go!

By liz~ (Guest Post)02/21/2008

Spray your running shoes (or any sneakers) with spray starch. It protects them.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Spray Starch

I once saw a tip to make spray starch to use when ironing. I can't find it. Does anyone know how? Julia

RE: Spray Starch

Here is one: Homemade SUGAR STARCH -- When regular spray starch won't hold up frail fabrics, try the old-fashioned method great-grandma used for her lacy doilies. Mix 1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar in a small pan. Stir the mixture over low heat (don't boil) until clear, not sugary. Shut off and let cool. Wet the collar and cuffs of a blouse or lace doily; roll in a towel to remove excess moisture and dip it into the mixtures. Squeeze out excess starch, then shape the collar and cuffs. Allow to dry and iron on a warm setting. Doilies don't need ironing when you use this starch, just smooth out and shape while wet on a clean flat surface. (01/26/2001)

RE: Spray Starch

I have not used this, but here is the recipe: 2 to 3 teaspoons of cornstarch and 1 cup of water. Mix well and put in a spray bottle. Hope this helps! (01/26/2001)

By lreiners

RE: Spray Starch

Homemade spray starch works better if you heat the mixture first to dissolve the cornstarch completely. Otherwise it will leave little white specks on dark colors. (08/03/2005)

By

RE: Spray Starch

Here is my recipe that I used in my hand laundry shop. makes 1 quart Spray Starch 1, 2-3 teaspoon cornstarch 2, 3/4 quart of tap water 3, 1/4 cup of cold water Direction: 1. Combine all cornstarch with 1/4 cold water in a small bowl. Put it aside. 2. Put 3/4 quart of tap water to rolling boil. 3. Re-mix cornstart in the bowl, slowing pour into pot of rolling boil water, constantly stire mixture. When first pouring cornstart into boiling water, the start should immediately become transparent. After finish adding starch, continue to stire for couple more minute. Remove from heat. 4. The starch liquid should be a clear liquid, almost water like. When cool to room temperature, transfer into a spray bottle. 5. Spray starch directly onto flat surface of fabric that needs to be iron. approximately 1-2 feet away from fabric before the surface of the hot iron touch the fabric. 6. If more starch is needed, repeat item 5. Please note: this starch only last 1-2 days. It kept longer, it will give a sour odor. (12/22/2006)

By Pat Sym

RE: Spray Starch

The recipe I have from one of my OLD Irish cookbooks is simple: after boiling potatoes, strain fluid from potatoes (I would suggest a paper coffee strainer, the recipe calls for a piece of linen). After water has cooled, place in sprayer. The recipe actually calls for rinsing clothing in fluid and allowing them to partially dry, but who has time for that these days? (07/07/2007)

By Donna

RE: Spray Starch

I used this recipe last night - so simple and easy I may do this from now on :) To the people that are having trouble with white flecks - make sure you dissolve the corstarch in cold water before adding it to the boiling water. I used 2 teaspoons cornstarch when I made it, when it was boiling I added 5 drops of lemon essential oil - voila! Just like in a can :D (07/21/2007)

By Melissa