Uses for Prescription Bottles

Category Reusing
Old prescription bottles can come in handy for sorting, storage and craft projects. The come in a variety of sizes and it's not hard to find a use for them around the house. This is a guide about uses for prescription bottles.

I have seen several people ask about uses for pill bottles and decided to give my assorted uses for them.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

Sheila Cahanin from Duson, Louisiana

March, 2017

I make rosaries. I use prescription bottles to hold my many beads and accessories like eye pins, chain, etc. in my jewelry stash. Also will be using them when I go on a trip. Small items are hard to find in a suitcase if they are not in a secure place.

Keep straight pins in a prescription medication bottle. This keeps them out of children's hands.

By kirstenenswan from Logan, UT

This is where I store my needles in my sewing kit, which is an old folgers plastic container.

Making a Pill Bottle First Aid Kit

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 7

This is a guide about making a pill bottle first aid kit. Having a mini first aid kit in your purse or backpack can come in handy.

For quite some time, I've been using old vitamin bottles, pill bottles, etc., to store the lancets, blood test strips, etc., I use to check my glucose levels, until they can be disposed of.

Fill empty prescription bottles with the labels removed two thirds full of water and freeze for a quick little ice pack for children's "owies". This would also be a nice portable thing to take on a picnic or hike for the same use.

Making a Pill Bottle Hide-a-Key

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

This is a guide about making a pill bottle hide-a-key. It is easy to have a weather proof hidden key outside your home to make sure you can always get inside.

finished container

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

This little craft makes a plain pill bottle into a pretty storage container, by using the picture from a greeting card. I used mine for my sewing needles.

I have had some rather large pill bottles that would hold a lot of coins, so I decided to sort them and label each bottle by quarter, dime and so on. I was amazed how much money you can save in those pill bottles.

Instead of buying travel sized bottles of shampoo and other things, at our house we used old prescription medicine bottles. They ones with the kid proof lid from Walgreen's can hold liquids without leaking. It saves a lot of money and helps the environment too.

When I create a "custom" color with acrylic paint, I'll pour the "leftovers" into an empty, clean prescription bottle.

pill bottles

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

I found the labels were really easy to get off my med bottles, so I am going to use them for this year's and last years seeds. I may also use them for craft stuff. So now whenever I finish a medication I clean the bottle and remove the label.

I am on several different medications and every month I would throw the bottles away, because I did not know of any use for them, other than beading. The other night, I thought maybe they can be used in the bottom of plant jars, along with rocks.

I save pill and film containers to put quarters in - for laundry, toll booths, snack vending machines, car wash, vacuum coin slots, or anything else I need quarters for in a hurry. They fit easily in my purse or in my car cup holder and they don't take up too much room.

When putting away seasonal things that contain loose screws, bolts, etc., take an empty safety capped pill bottle to store them in. Label and then select a drawer or empty tool box/container to keep them in.

When you are all done with a prescription bottle, save it to discard old craft needles or small knives in. Throw out the entire container. Wide containers also will hold a rotary cutter blade to dispose of.

Empty Pill Bottles

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Rather than throwing them away or into the recycle bin, you can make many creative projects using medicine or pill bottles. This is a guide about craft ideas for used medicine or pill bottles.

Use old clean medicine containers to store change, buttons, or anything small. Just make sure you wash it carefully.

Are there any uses other than tossing?

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

YES! You never throw them away!! I empty, boil, remove label & keep some for bead storage & I am currently making them into pill storage for my purse! Pill boxes are too expensive so I'm creating them myself. There are thousands of uses for all sizes of plastic pill bottles! If you don't want yours, please send them to people such as myself who do in fact Upcycle, Recycle! I'd be glad to send you my address!

Where can you sell empty prescription bottles?

By mama62 from Fairhaven, MA

Answer Was this helpful? 3

I label mine like a pill box such as Monday AM, Monday Noon, Monday PM and when I have my prescriptions refilled I sort them for a week at a time or more. I have even just put a piece of scotch tape on them and date them so we don't lose track of taking our medicines.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use empty prescription bottles? Unfortunately I receive many medications on a monthly basis and I really do not want to throw them out. I have been using the large ones to collect spare change, mainly quarters for laundry. Thanks for your feedback!

By Myrna from Bronx, NY

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I save my empty prescription bottles and take them to our vet. They can reuse the bottles whereas a drugstore cannot. They're always very grateful.

Can I legally reuse my prescription bottles? I put flax seed in empty ones. Do I have to take the label off?

By Karen

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I reuse mine all the time. However always remove the labels from the bottles. Then when you use them, I write on the outside (with a sharpie) whatever I put inside the bottle.

I have used them for taking a small amount of handcream in my purse, put aprins in them, toothpicks in them. The list can go on and on. Just always be sure to write what you put in them.

How can I earn money with old medicine bottles?

Angelica from Thomaston, GA

Just an idea. I have alot of empty orange plastic medicine bottles and I use to throw them away. One day it snapped. I took a board, 2x4, and screwed the lids to the bottom side of the board and then attached the bottles to the lids. I labeled all of them for my husband. I use the for screws nuts and bolts in the garage. He loved it. Hope this helped someone. Thanks!

Has anybody figured out a use for those blue cases that some prescriptions come in?

By zeke47 from Boise, ID

If you find a local crafter on freecycle.com, you can donate them.

People find that quarters for the laundry work great in them. You can use them for camping to keep matches dry, esp' if they are the kind that seal well. You can roll stamps inside, keep office supplies and first aid in your car or dorm.

Here is something that I did and submitted. Just keep in mind, tiny, airtight, see through, and if you don't need them, donate them to the local crafter's guild. They will erect a shrine to you!

http://www.thri  5715913.tip.html

Now, if you are talking about the ones that flip up, then those are great for buttons, separating coins for parking, keeping fake nails apart, bead storage and more then there is room in my brain at 3:36am!

I have a zillion empty old prescription bottles, the plastic kind and don't have the heart to get rid of them. I know they could be used for something. Any ideas?
Murph

Answers:

Using It All - Prescription Containers

My daughter loves to do crafts and make things, so we save all the bottles and she uses them to make stools and chairs and other little things. They are also great for storing little beads and buttons in for kids crafts. Also good for storing bulk sprinkles for cake decorating in. (the stuff that you buy in a bag or from bulk bins). They are great in the home office for storing paper clips or other small things in. There are I'm sure 101 uses or more for these bottles. (03/16/2002)

By brianvalerie

Using It All - Prescription Containers

I use the white screw top bottles and make cute computer generated gag labels and attach them. Put candy inside. Visit some of the party stores, Spencer's, etc. that carry silly gag gifts and get some ideas. (03/16/2002)

By sydfred

Using It All - Prescription Containers

You can break them up in small pieces; melt them in a metal container in the oven and pour into molds to make such things as key chains, paper weights, etc. Hope this helps. (03/16/2002)

By longfarm

Using It All - Prescription Containers

Sometimes veterinary offices or animal shelters can use them. Be sure to remove the labels.

Lynn from West of Eugene, OR (03/17/2002)

Lynn

Using It All - Prescription Containers

I asked at all the pharmacies in town, until one pharmacist gave me the name of a guy that collects them (turns out it was somebody I already knew, but wasn't aware of this aspect of him). His church group has missions in Haiti, and the mission doctors use the prescription bottles to dispense medicines. I remove the labels as they are emptied, save them in a plastic grocery bag hanging on a hook in my utility room, and drop them off when the bag fills up. Most drugstores will not take them as the contents could become contaminated from the previous medicine.

Becki in Indiana (03/19/2002)

By lmlhlinc

Using It All - Prescription Containers

Check with the mission board of your church. I have heard that clean, used prescription bottles can be used overseas where they are in short supply. (03/19/2002)

Barbara

Using It All - Prescription Containers

I use the small medicine bottles as miniature vases for small early spring flowers that are small and have short stems. Miniature tete a tete daffodils especially look good in the yellow bottles. (03/19/2002)

Mary

Using It All - Prescription Containers

There are lots of uses for those bottles, especially if they do not have the child proof caps. Do you have grandkids? I bet they could think of a bunch of ways to use them (the first which comes to mind is bug collector containers). Call your local elementary school, or even Jr. High. Small water proof containers that seal tight can be used by many different people in different ways.

If nothing else, if you have a "penny pincher" type paper where small ads are free (the publisher makes money by selling the paper itself, not by charging for the ads), place an ad for someone to get them. Or bag all of them up and sell them for a quarter for the whole bag at a garage sale. If doing this, you may want to make sure the labels are all off. This ensures your privacy, and would not give drug seekers a reason to case your house if you happen to have to use narcotic pain relievers. (03/20/2002)

entwife

Using It All - Prescription Containers

The Pill Bottles are good for coins and small portions of shampoo, liquid soap, lotion, etc. for overnight trips or in your purse. You can put sequins and jewelry making or repairing supplies in them. Even short stemmed flowers, also extremely good for rooting cuttings. (03/20/2002)

Linne D.

Using It All - Prescription Containers

I do crafts and I use the bottles for beads, needles, buttons, and things like that. As for the lids I use them to hold small amounts of paint or use them to hold up something that I am painting, so that it is not resting on the paper. (04/08/2002)

By FaithNchls

Using It All - Prescription Containers

I make computer generated "funny" labels for gag gifts or party favours, put individually wrapped candy inside. For example, "Special Birthday Candy. Everyone needs some "hugs and kisses" on their birthday. Is it OK if they are chocolate?" Use your imagination. You can get some ideas from "party stores" that carry gag gifts. Print Master is a great program for this. (04/20/2002)

By sydfred

Using It All - Prescription Containers

I buy M and Ms; pick out enough of the same color (orange is good) and fill the bottle with all the same color and make a "prescription label" and glue it with the regular old stick glue that comes in the "chapstick tube". On the prescription label, I put something like "NICE PILLS" chew one when you're feeling grumpy, or other cutie sayings. jc (04/30/2002)

By admin

Using It All - Prescription Containers

I used one for holding a half used candle when a true candle holder was MIA. (02/19/2005)

Using It All - Prescription Containers

I would be very careful about the med containers. One of the biggest dangers to health care providers is the "inhalation" of drug powder residues on pills, capsules, and liquids. If you are concerned about the health of children, you probably should be concerned about anyone handling containers. Here is a real good example: the hair loss medications for men (like Propecia) should not be handled by any women of childbearing age because of the chance of birth defects to unborn male children. Be really careful.

The containers don't lose their residue and it is a dangerous practice, that is why your health care provider tells you to throw them away when you are done. The issue about Procepia isn't the "known" pregnant person, rather the woman who does not know that she is pregnant and is hurting her child. There are many studies done on various drugs, antibiotics, heart meds, narcotics, etc, which indicate the re-use of these containers for any purpose is not a good one, which is why you are advised to toss them. Melt, maybe. These are not toys. Tossing them is wasteful, but safer. (05/02/2006)

By Leo

Using It All - Prescription Containers

You really need to be careful about putting candy in prescription bottles. If children are in the home they could easily think any pill bottle contained candy and could be injured or killed by taking someone's real medicine thinking it was candy. (01/30/2007)

By Rowena

Using It All - Prescription Containers

I checked with my Pharmacist about the bottle containing remnants of the medication after being cleaned, he said that this would not happen. My mother in-law stores her spices in them and he said that this is safe and that the residue will not leach into the plastic so as long as you get rid of the residue they will be safe. (03/24/2008)

By Heather

Load More