Uses for Prescription Bottles

Old prescription bottles can come in handy for sorting, storage and craft projects. The come in a variety of sizes and it's not hard to find a use for them around the house. This is a guide about uses for prescription bottles.

pill bottle hide a key
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I love to collect flower seeds from my own flowers to plant the next season or to share with others. I also like to collect from other places, but often found myself using napkins, or scrap paper as an impromptu container. Then it hit me - prescription bottles!

labeled bottles of seeds

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are looking for a way to hide a key outside, a pill bottle makes a great weather-proof container. With a rock to disguise the top, you can tuck it into a rock garden or partially bury it to hide it's location.

hidden key 3

I had my husband drill several small holes in the lid. Then I stuffed cotton balls inside and poured scented oils in it. It doesn't leak. I put them in my vehicle to make it smell good.

I have seen several people ask about uses for pill bottles and decided to give my assorted uses for them.

• I have many of various sizes in my sewing box to sort out the different sizes of snaps, safety pins, and buttons. I have two bigger pill bottles for large safety pins and straight pins.

• I have a long bottle in with my yarn, holding crochet needles, one with yarn needles and assorted small knitting items in it.

• I keep one bottle by my computer with rolaids, gum, and denture numbing stuff in it.

• I have one with dry beans in it for my infant granddaughter to use as a rattle. It has a safety cap that I cannot remove and is too big for her to remove.

• My granddaughter said to add using them for barrettes and other assorted hair gadgets, school things such erasers and pencil sharpener.

• In my purse I use a large one as my 'wallet', I keep folded bills and my change it it. When I need it, I just look for the white lid. I have a smaller pill bottle in there with bus tokens in it, making them easier to find when needed.

• I have one that is just the right size to hold a roll of quarters, that money is for laundry only.

• There are many, many other household uses for them, a man can use them to sort nails, tacks, screws, washers, bolts, etc. Let your imagination run wild. Uses are endless.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

Keep Pins in Prescription BottleKeep straight pins in a prescription medication bottle. This keeps them out of children's hands.

By kirstenenswan from Logan, UT

My roommate has a lot of medicine bottles and she gives them to me for my crafts. Having very little room on my table, I have learned to hang things in shoe bag hangers and the like. Today this tip if for those who don't have a ton (like someone I know...), but still want to keep things off the table.

Large Medicine Bottle for Craft Supplies

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Where can you sell empty prescription bottles?

By mama62 from Fairhaven, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Actually someone is selling them on eBay, or was a couple of months ago. You could post them on Craigslist or FreeCycle.

Used prescription bottles are not safe for food since medications can leach into the plastic, and then back out into your food, but like others here, I couldn't see putting them in my recycle bin without at least trying to see if anyone wanted them. I posted on Craigslist in the 'for sale/wanted' section to see if anyone wanted them, and I had 4 responses within a couple of hours. One person wanted them to store beads and beading supplies, another to organize and store electronic parts, another wanted them to organize small craft supplies and one wanted them for a film he's making about the prescription drug industry. 2 of the people who wanted them said they'd check back with me in a few months to see if I had more.

My DH put together a toolbox for a friend and he used a whole bunch of prescription bottles to hold different sizes of nails, screws, bolts and washers and the like.

Read More Answers...

For quite some time, I've been using old vitamin bottles, pill bottles, etc., to store the lancets, blood test strips, etc., I use to check my glucose levels, until they can be disposed of. They are much cheaper, e.g., $0.00, relative, than the sharps containers sold at the drug counters; are more compact; easier to store; and easier to dispose of.

Source: My wife suggested it one day after I had filled a store-bought container, and was lamenting not having gotten a new one.

By Oldvet from Owensboro, KY

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use empty prescription bottles? Unfortunately I receive many medications on a monthly basis and I really do not want to throw them out. I have been using the large ones to collect spare change, mainly quarters for laundry. Thanks for your feedback!

By Myrna from Bronx, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put sewing needles, pins, extra bobbins, buttons, etc. in them.

Read More Answers...

Use empty pill bottles to dispense elastic and similar items. Coil the item to fit into the bottle. Then cut a simple slit/opening in the lid to pull the item out as you need it, as much as you need. Use this to hold and dispense yard string.

I have had some rather large pill bottles that would hold a lot of coins, so I decided to sort them and label each bottle by quarter, dime and so on. I was amazed how much money you can save in those pill bottles.

You can use a prescription bottle to make a little sewing kit for travel or as a gift for a college student. It's the perfect size to fit a couple small spools of thread, a few needles, a needle threader, a thimble and some buttons.

Can I legally reuse my prescription bottles? I put flax seed in empty ones. Do I have to take the label off?

By Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - are you asking this question for your own personal/family use? If so, then it is okay to reuse as others have responded. If for other reasons - then I would not reuse.

Read More Answers...

This is a guide about making a pill bottle hide-a-key. It is easy to have a weather proof hidden key outside your home to make sure you can always get inside.

Making a Pill Bottle Hide-a-Key

I am on several different medications and every month I would throw the bottles away, because I did not know of any use for them, other than beading. The other night, I thought maybe they can be used in the bottom of plant jars, along with rocks.

Instead of buying travel sized bottles of shampoo and other things, at our house we used old prescription medicine bottles. They ones with the kid proof lid from Walgreen's can hold liquids without leaking. It saves a lot of money and helps the environment too.

Several prescription bottles.I have an abundance of empty prescription bottles. Does anyone have any ideas for craft projects using these bottles? Does anyone have other suggestions on how to use empty prescription bottles? I just hate throwing them away.

By Squishy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They are great for storing small crafting items like straight pins, seed beads, etc.

Read More Answers...

I found the labels were really easy to get off my med bottles, so I am going to use them for this year's and last years seeds. I may also use them for craft stuff. So now whenever I finish a medication I clean the bottle and remove the label.

pill bottles

When I create a "custom" color with acrylic paint, I'll pour the "leftovers" into an empty, clean prescription bottle.

How can I earn money with old medicine bottles?

Angelica from Thomaston, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you mean vintage bottles, many people like to collect them. I would think you could put them on consignment at a local antique store or sell them on eBay.

Read More Answers...

One way to reuse prescription bottles is as a portable sewing kit. Put a spool of thread into the bottle, pierce a small hole in the lid and run the thread end out the lid. Put several needles and pins, however many you might need, inside.

When putting away seasonal things that contain loose screws, bolts, etc., take an empty safety capped pill bottle to store them in. Label and then select a drawer or empty tool box/container to keep them in.

Has anybody figured out a use for those blue cases that some prescriptions come in?

By zeke47 from Boise, ID

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I haven't found a use for them so I just recycle them with our other plastics once a month. I make sure I peel the labels off first. Our garbage company takes plastics numbered 1-7!

I like them because the days are labeled and I can remember if I took my pill that day. I also take the plastic foil thingy out (don't know what it's called)

and throw it away before recycling.

Read More Answers...

I save pill and film containers to put quarters in - for laundry, toll booths, snack vending machines, car wash, vacuum coin slots, or anything else I need quarters for in a hurry. They fit easily in my purse or in my car cup holder and they don't take up too much room.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When you are all done with a prescription bottle, save it to discard old craft needles or small knives in. Throw out the entire container. Wide containers also will hold a rotary cutter blade to dispose of.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use old clean medicine containers to store change, buttons, or anything small. Just make sure you wash it carefully.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband and I have a lot of medicine bottles that I throw away. I hate throwing them away if they can be used for something else. Could someone give me some ideas on how to recycle them?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Load More
    Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 18, 2011
    Old Perfume Bottle
    Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
    Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
    Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
    Old woman holding prescription drug bottles.
    Prescription Drugs Tips for Seniors
    Recycling Prescription Bottles, Prescription Bottles on White Background
    Recycling Prescription Bottles
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 28, 2016 at 3:04:39 PM on 10.0.2.110 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.