Uses for Prescription Bottles

Old prescription bottles can come in handy for sorting, storage and craft projects. The come in a variety of sizes and it's not hard to find a use for them around the house. This is a guide about uses for prescription bottles.

June 16, 2014 Flag

I had my husband drill several small holes in the lid. Then I stuffed cotton balls inside and poured scented oils in it. It doesn't leak. I put them in my vehicle to make it smell good.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good idea!

August 27, 2009 Flag

I have seen several people ask about uses for pill bottles and decided to give my assorted uses for them.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wow! I had never heard of this before. Thanks for letting us know. I'll start sending him some bottles soon!

September 20, 2010 Flag

Keep straight pins in a prescription medication bottle. This keeps them out of children's hands.

By kirstenenswan from Logan, UT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is where I store my needles in my sewing kit, which is an old folgers plastic container.

October 20, 2011 Flag

For quite some time, I've been using old vitamin bottles, pill bottles, etc., to store the lancets, blood test strips, etc., I use to check my glucose levels, until they can be disposed of.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 6, 2016 Flag

finished container

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This little craft makes a plain pill bottle into a pretty storage container, by using the picture from a greeting card. I used mine for my sewing needles.

July 5, 2006 Flag

You can use a prescription bottle to make a little sewing kit for travel or as a gift for a college student. It's the perfect size to fit a couple small spools of thread, a few needles, a needle threader, a thimble and some buttons.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 8, 2013 Flag

I have had some rather large pill bottles that would hold a lot of coins, so I decided to sort them and label each bottle by quarter, dime and so on. I was amazed how much money you can save in those pill bottles.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 12, 2010 Flag

Instead of buying travel sized bottles of shampoo and other things, at our house we used old prescription medicine bottles. They ones with the kid proof lid from Walgreen's can hold liquids without leaking. It saves a lot of money and helps the environment too.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 19, 2008 Flag

When I create a "custom" color with acrylic paint, I'll pour the "leftovers" into an empty, clean prescription bottle.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 16, 2014 Flag

pill bottles

I found the labels were really easy to get off my med bottles, so I am going to use them for this year's and last years seeds. I may also use them for craft stuff. So now whenever I finish a medication I clean the bottle and remove the label.

September 23, 2008 Flag

I am on several different medications and every month I would throw the bottles away, because I did not know of any use for them, other than beading. The other night, I thought maybe they can be used in the bottom of plant jars, along with rocks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 2, 2005 Flag

One way to reuse prescription bottles is as a portable sewing kit. Put a spool of thread into the bottle, pierce a small hole in the lid and run the thread end out the lid. Put several needles and pins, however many you might need, inside.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 4, 2014 Flag

Empty Pill Bottles

This is a guide about craft ideas for used medicine or pill bottles. Rather than throwing them away or into the recycle bin, you can make many creative projects using medicine or pill bottles.

October 31, 2007 Flag

When putting away seasonal things that contain loose screws, bolts, etc., take an empty safety capped pill bottle to store them in. Label and then select a drawer or empty tool box/container to keep them in.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 3, 2011 Flag

I save pill and film containers to put quarters in - for laundry, toll booths, snack vending machines, car wash, vacuum coin slots, or anything else I need quarters for in a hurry. They fit easily in my purse or in my car cup holder and they don't take up too much room.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 15, 2011 Flag

When you are all done with a prescription bottle, save it to discard old craft needles or small knives in. Throw out the entire container. Wide containers also will hold a rotary cutter blade to dispose of.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 19, 2008 Flag

Use old clean medicine containers to store change, buttons, or anything small. Just make sure you wash it carefully.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 23, 2016 Flag

Are there any uses other than tossing?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

YES! You never throw them away!! I empty, boil, remove label & keep some for bead storage & I am currently making them into pill storage for my purse! Pill boxes are too expensive so I'm creating them myself. There are thousands of uses for all sizes of plastic pill bottles! If you don't want yours, please send them to people such as myself who do in fact Upcycle, Recycle! I'd be glad to send you my address!

August 15, 2009 Flag

Where can you sell empty prescription bottles?

By mama62 from Fairhaven, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I label mine like a pill box such as Monday AM, Monday Noon, Monday PM and when I have my prescriptions refilled I sort them for a week at a time or more. I have even just put a piece of scotch tape on them and date them so we don't lose track of taking our medicines.

April 8, 2013 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use empty prescription bottles? Unfortunately I receive many medications on a monthly basis and I really do not want to throw them out. I have been using the large ones to collect spare change, mainly quarters for laundry. Thanks for your feedback!

By Myrna from Bronx, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I save my empty prescription bottles and take them to our vet. They can reuse the bottles whereas a drugstore cannot. They're always very grateful.

September 7, 2013 Flag

Can I legally reuse my prescription bottles? I put flax seed in empty ones. Do I have to take the label off?

By Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I reuse mine all the time. However always remove the labels from the bottles. Then when you use them, I write on the outside (with a sharpie) whatever I put inside the bottle.

I have used them for taking a small amount of handcream in my purse, put aprins in them, toothpicks in them. The list can go on and on. Just always be sure to write what you put in them.

February 8, 2007 Flag

How can I earn money with old medicine bottles?

Angelica from Thomaston, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just an idea. I have alot of empty orange plastic medicine bottles and I use to throw them away. One day it snapped. I took a board, 2x4, and screwed the lids to the bottom side of the board and then attached the bottles to the lids. I labeled all of them for my husband. I use the for screws nuts and bolts in the garage. He loved it. Hope this helped someone. Thanks!

August 14, 2009 Flag

Has anybody figured out a use for those blue cases that some prescriptions come in?

By zeke47 from Boise, ID

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you find a local crafter on freecycle.com, you can donate them.

People find that quarters for the laundry work great in them. You can use them for camping to keep matches dry, esp' if they are the kind that seal well. You can roll stamps inside, keep office supplies and first aid in your car or dorm.

Here is something that I did and submitted. Just keep in mind, tiny, airtight, see through, and if you don't need them, donate them to the local crafter's guild. They will erect a shrine to you!

http://www.thri  5715913.tip.html

Now, if you are talking about the ones that flip up, then those are great for buttons, separating coins for parking, keeping fake nails apart, bead storage and more then there is room in my brain at 3:36am!

August 14, 2009 Flag

I have a zillion empty old prescription bottles, the plastic kind and don't have the heart to get rid of them. I know they could be used for something. Any ideas? - Murph

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 27, 2009 Flag

My husband and I have a lot of medicine bottles that I throw away. I hate throwing them away if they can be used for something else. Could someone give me some ideas on how to recycle them?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 27, 2009 Flag

Anyone have any ideas of what to do with old prescription bottles? I have been saving them for a long time. I want to use them for something useful or crafty, but haven't thought of anything yet.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 24, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have ideas for using medicine bottles? I have a bucket full of clean, empty plastic pill bottles. Hate to just toss them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 26, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 18, 2011
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
rock hide a key
Making a Pill Bottle Hide-a-Key
Empty Pill Bottles
Craft Ideas for Used Medicine or Pill Bottles
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2017 at 7:25:51 PM on 10.0.1.29 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.