Drafty Window Tips

We live in a modular home and are having problems with wind forcing cold air into the house around the window frames. Caulking would seem to be one answer. How about using an insulating foam bead? Any other ideas? I am lazy and cheap.

By Bob from Craigsville, WV

What about that foam spray filler that is used to fill cracks? I simply love your parting line, think I know you!

February 26, 2010 Flag

Here is a simple way to keep cold drafts from coming in your windows. Roll up some sheets of newspaper into a small tube, tape the ends, and place it in the bottom of the window where the cold air comes in. The newspaper blocks the cold air, and the room stays warmer. Just make a new roll every month or so. This saves a lot on heating costs.

By Laurie from Portland, OR

Drafty Window Tips

I've also used fabric rolls stuffed with pillow stuffing in places where you want it to be a little more decorative. The only thing about the blue tape is that it's not as tight a seal, but the duct tape takes off your paint, so it's hard to decide sometimes. (11/20/2009)

By Allison5

Drafty Window Tips

I found that if you take a clear plastic bag, a white garbage bag should work, cut into 3-4 inch strips, place in the bottom, and open your window and shut it down on the plastic that this seals the air around the glass frame. I also put strips in my window track. Helped me. (11/21/2009)

By looklady

November 20, 2009 Flag

Blue Painters Tape

It's almost impossible to totally seal any window. A quick solution, though not pretty, is to use that blue painter's tape around the inside of the window. It stops drafts, and is easy to remove without taking paint with it.

By Don (02-07-1999)

Seal and Peel Caulk

Another method is for you to use Seal & Peel. This clear caulk lets you fill the gaps around the window. Come spring it just peels right off. No paint loss or staining. You will need a caulk gun, which is inexpensive. Ask a clerk how to use it.

1) Cut off the tip of the caulk canister at a slight angle. Do this near to the tip. You can always cut a bit more to make the hole bigger.

2) While pulling the trigger on the caulk gun, run a bead of caulk around the window and sash edges. Let go of the trigger about 5 inches before the end. The caulk will continue to flow out of the tube.

3) You will have skips and blobs. This is OK. Wet your index finger with plain water and smooth out the caulk so it seals along the window and sash.

4) Wipe any excess caulk off you fingers on a paper towel.

5) If you have left-over caulk seal the tube by shoving a nail or a screw into the tube.

6) You may want to go out for an hour or so when you are finished. There will be a strong smell of "rubber cement" that can be annoying.

By PT (02/07/2007)

Drafty Window Tips

Another good way to cure a drafty window problem is to cover it on the inside with plastic. (05/18/2009)

By Anonymous

Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsFebruary 26, 2010
Window Screen
Alternate Uses for Window and Door Screens
Window Air Conditioner
Winterizing a Window Air Conditioner
Window Screen
Removing Paint From a Door or Window Screen
Insulated Winter Window
Insulating Windows