Perfect Rice in the Microwave

I always enjoy getting TheCouponClipper. Thanks for all of your handy ideas and tricks to make life easier for the busy woman.

I wanted to share my method of cooking perfect rice. I cook it in my microwave! Measure your rice as if you were going to cook it on the range, but make your container a microwave suitable container. Use 1 part rice to 2 parts water. I usually cook 1 cup of rice, so that means I will need 2 cups of water. (2c rice/4c water, etc.)

I add salt, put it in the microwave and cook on full power for 17 to 20 minutes. You will have to get this down to a science with your own microwave. Mine takes about 18 minutes. The trick is, after it has cooked, it will be very compact. Take a fork and fluff it so that your rice will not be packed down. Eat and enjoy!

By Linda

how many watts is your oven? 750 or 1200? That will make a big difference in the cookihng time and power used.

A bowl of rice cooked in a microwave.
Making Rice in a Microwave
Food and Recipes Food Tips Microwave CookingMarch 21, 2001
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker