Cooking Squash in the Microwave

Save time cooking fresh squash by using your microwave, rather than the oven. This is a guide about cooking squash in the microwave.

I want to say thank you for the help I received in cooking acorn squash and spaghetti squash. My homeworker today did the spaghetti squash.

She poked holes in it (too hard to cut), and put in microwave for 10 minutes at first. We ended up putting it back in for about another 5 minutes, and it was great. After removing the seeds, she added a little margarine, brown sugar and cinnamon, and removed the squash from its 'shell'. Boy, was it good!

By Linda from Bloomington, IL from Illinois

I love squash, but it takes so long in the oven so I use the microwave.

Cut in half, remove seeds, place cut side up.

Test for doneness! All microwaves are not created equal.

By Sherry from Valdosta, GA

I remember my mom cooking acorn squash in the microwave just by cutting one in half, dotting the inside with butter, sugar and cinnamon but I don't remember how long she cooked them for. Can anyone give me ideas of this.

Melody from White City, Oregon

Answers

I just made acorn squash in the microwave and it only took about 5 minutes. Turn the squash upside down on a plate and don't add the ingredients until it gets soft.

After it's pretty soft you can turn it over, add the butter and brown sugar and microwave it long enough to melt the toppings.

By Lavonneann (Guest Post)

I just poke the squash few times with a fork. Micro about 8 - 10 minutes for average size squash. Allow to sit for few minutes, cut in half and scoop out seeds. Delicious and tasty. Add butter if you wish but I don't find it necessary. Totally yummy!