Making Rice in a Microwave

Having your rice ready quickly is sometimes what you need. This page is about making rice in the microwave.

When we got our first microwave, we were without a stove so I learned to cook in the microwave. For any type of pasta or rice:

1. Put in a microwave safe bowl.

2. Add twice as much water or other liquid as there is of the pasta.

3. Microwave on high.
    • 15 minutes for noodles or small pasta.
      • 20-25 minutes for macaroni or thicker pasta.
        • 30 minutes for rice.

• IMPORTANT, stir well after the first 5 minutes. This keeps the pasta from clumping together. Rice doesn't need to be stirred.

• Drain and use.

Since microwaves vary in their cooking, check 5 minutes before time. You can use stock, tomatoes in juice, et cetera for liquid.

When cooking rice, cover and let set for 5-7 minutes and it will soak up the liquid and will be nice and fluffy.

Source: Experience

Hi, folks, I just have to share something I discovered last year. I don't have the patience to cook individual servings of grits, oatmeal, and rice, so I prefer to put the dish in the microwave and return when the dish is ready to eat. No rinsing, soaking, babysitting, stirring, etc. The secret I have discovered that prevents boilover is a tall container with straight (not tapered) sides that also fits into the microwave. Measure your microwave's internal height using a tape measure.

The tool I use is a 2000-mL glass or plastic beaker. Just google 2000 mL beaker, and you should be able to find a glass one for ~$15 or a plastic one for ~$5. I prefer glass because cleanup is so easy. Please enjoy and share my recipes below, and if you have tips for me, I'd love to hear them!

1. Oatmeal (quick, traditional, gluten-free, etc.): 2/3 cup oatmeal, 1 and 1/3 cup water, 1 Tbs sugar, 1 pat of butter, 1 dash of salt, and microwave for 5 minutes at full power.

2. Quick grits: 1/4 cup quick five-minute grits, 1 and 1/4 cup water, and microwave for 5 minutes at full power.

3. Traditional grits: 1/4 cup traditional grits, 1 and 1/2 cup water, and microwave for 6 minutes and 30 seconds at full power.

4. Brown rice: 1/2 cup rice, 2 cups water, and microwave for 30 minutes at 70% power (or, 1 cup rice, 3 cups water, and microwave for 40 minutes at 50% power).

5. Basmati rice or jasmine rice: 1/2 cup rice, 1 cup + 1 oz of water, and microwave for 15 minutes at 50% power.
Notes: Butter, salt, and sugar are optional, as I don't have boilover whether I add them or not. My microwave is an 1100 watt microwave with an internal height of 9 inches from the turntable to the roof of the microwave. These recipes can be scaled up for use in large microwaveable bowls with tall sides and at least a 6 quart capacity.

Happy microwaving!

I wanted to share my method of cooking perfect rice. I cook it in my microwave! Measure your rice as if you were going to cook it on the range, but make your container a microwave suitable container.

Use 1 part rice to 2 parts water.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Microwave CookingDecember 30, 2012
📓
😎
🌻
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Rice-in-a-Microwave.html