Cleaning Candle Wax from Walls

It is not uncommon for candle wax to get on the wall. Simply blowing out your candles too hard can splatter melted wax on the wall. This is a guide about cleaning candle wax from walls.

August 17, 2013 Flag

I knocked a brown candle over and the wax went all over my living room wall. I used a hair dyer to melt the wax, but wiped the wax off with a Mr. Clean eraser dipped in 2 cups hot tap water with 2 tsp of white vinegar. No stains! This works really well on white/cream walls.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

September 8, 2010 Flag

How do I remove candle wax from my painted wall?

By mooselady from Port Huron, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a candle next to the wall and tried to blow it out, that failed. Went close up and gave it a blow. In my stupidity, I blew to hard and wax went all over the wall. I had a little steam cleaner. It worked great. No paint off the wall, just wipe the wax off as you go to not let it drip down further. It's only water so I'm assuming it's safe for pretty much anything.

Hi, I too had a red candle on my mantle for the holidays. I also blew too hard and splattered the red wax lightly on my painted wall. Tried all three suggestions (hand held steamer, hair dryer and magic eraser) and nothing removed the stain. The above three were usefull in as much as I was able to remove all wax, but I had to resort to touch up painting to cover the pinkish stain that remained. Hope others have better luck. I must say I didn't tend to the wax on the wall for almost 2 weeks.

April 12, 2011 Flag

How do I get wax off of my wall?

By Kristina from Willcox, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gently scrape as much as you can off of the wall and then hold a white rag (that you don't care about) over the wax and then iron over the cloth with a medium low warm clothing iron. The heat from the iron will melt the wax and the cloth will soak the heated wax up.

I literally just tried the ironing tip seconds ago - and it really works!

Red candle wax on neutrally painted wall... Brutal!

July 30, 2013 Flag

How do I get get hardened wax off the wall in my bedroom that's painted with flat paint?

By B.J.Williams

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The application of heat or cold. I think the best option would be to put wax paper over the hardened wax (attach it with tape that won't damage the wall), then hover a steam iron about a centimeter away from the wall. The heat will soften the wax, and the wax should adhere to the wax paper.

Another option is to cover with wax paper, and go over the spot with ice or an icepack. Chilling the wax will make it brittle, and it should pop off without too much difficulty.

September 18, 2011 Flag

I am trying to clean red candle wax from a white wall. How do I get the stain out?

By Deetta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've heard, but never tried it myself. Use an ice cube to freeze the wax so that it just crumbles off the wall. The coloring from the candle may leave a stain on your wall that would need to be lightly sanded, primed and painted over, but freezing will generally get the majority of the wax itself off.

December 25, 2007 Flag

How do you clean wax from a potpourri melt off of the wall? I blew out the tea light from underneath but was too high. The wax spattered all over the white textured wall.

By Steve from Boston, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I took the advice of using the hair dryer and kept wipping the wall with a paper towel idea. For the most part it worked but still had to go back and repaint the wall from the stain.

Thanks

I was relighting a candle & I accidentally dropped it... splatter on the TV, wall, floor & my bed. I think I'm gonna go try that :]

October 27, 2014 Flag

Any suggestions on how to remove candle wax from a wall would be appreciated.

By LoriMae

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 17, 2014 Flag

I recently got blue wax on a white wall from my candle. I picked the wax with my nail, but it's a day old and the stain is still there. It's not a gloss finished wall. Please help.

By Debbie O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 25, 2012 Flag

How do you remove dried wax from a wall?

By Lynette

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 12, 2011 Flag

I need information on the removal of candle wax from walls and cloth.

By silverbird from Ireland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 31, 2010 Flag

Have you ever blown out a candle in a wall sconce and gotten wax all over your wall? Well here is my tip to remove it. You especially want to get that wax off before repainting. Place a clean white cotton towel or cloth over wax on wall. Using regular household iron on medium high heat, with no steam. Iron over towel. Continue using clean areas of towel until all the wax is removed. You may have to use more towels if you have a lot of wax. This tip will work to remove wax from carpet also!

By Doreen

Answers:

Removing Wax from the Wall

Using a brown paper bag works much better. I use brown paper bags to soak up melted wax when I am doing batik. (07/13/2005)

By Renmeleon

Removing Wax from the Wall

What a great idea Doreen! Thanks for sharing this as I have some to remove from my carpet. "Not Me" was on the loose again and no one is owning up to it! I'm sure the towel will work perfectly and all of us with this problem appreciate you contributing to the site :)
Maryanne
http://www.teapotcottage.com (07/13/2005)

By Anonymous

Removing Wax from the Wall

Thank you so much for the info. I had wax all over my wall and on the floor and I used your method and it worked. thanks a lot. if you know how to get wax out of a sofa please let me know.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) The best way is getting a few pieces of paper towels and an iron set to a low setting. Iron the place on your sofa through the paper towel and the paper towel will absorb the melted wax. It may take a few times to get it all. (04/04/2006)

By annette

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 8, 2010 Flag

What gets wax off walls?

By Jennifer from Creston, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 25, 2010 Flag

How do I get candle wax off a wall?

By Judy

Answers:

Candle Wax off the Wall

Have you tried ice? It worked for me with wax on several things. Once it gets cold it breaks right away. (01/25/2010)

By Letitbld

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 23, 2010 Flag

How do I remove candle wax from a wall? Burning candles on a wall sconce dripped all down the wall and onto hardwood floor.

I saw tips on removing from the hardwood, but need to know how to remove from the wall and baseboard without removing the paint.

By ldwolfe52 from Calgary, AB

Answers:

Candle Wax off the Wall

Funny you should ask. Just yesterday I painted a wall with wax on it. I scraped it off, washed it with 409, and painted right over it. Today (30 hours later) it doesn't show through. Hope that took care of it. (05/07/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Candle Wax off the Wall

Use a single-edger razor to scrape the wax off, then clean the wall and the floor. Re-apply whatever wax or finish you use on the floor. (05/07/2009)

By Mary T

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2009 Flag

I have read everyone's miracle cures for red candle wax on the wall, with the hair dryer and the Sol-U-Mel. I tried both and nothing is working! I even had my landlord paint over the stain but it has seeped through the paint. Now there are still faint red marks from the wax stain on my wall! If I try the hairdryer again now at this point, will it work better than before? Can someone please help!

Sarah from New York, NY

Answers:

Candle Wax off the Wall

I find that 1 part mustard to 2 parts sulfuric acid works wonders when applied to a wall with a ducks feather. Even got rid of our Hanukkah candle stains from what we refer to as "Black Sabbath Sunday". (03/28/2008)

By Daddy Maz

Candle Wax off the Wall

I am trying to remove red candle wax from my wall. I just tried the blow dryer and then used the Magic Eraser and it worked! So blow dry the stain and then scrub. (04/11/2008)

By Csvallin

Candle Wax off the Wall

So.. my girlfriend spilled a candle in the bathroom on three surfaces .

1. The Wall - Solution: Hair dryer and paper towels.
  2. The Tiled Floor - Solution: Hair dryer and paper towels. Note: you will spend most of your time on the grout.
  3. The Bathmat (carpet) - Solution: Place a brown paper bag or any paper really (no print!) over the stain. Press an iron (on medium heat) to the paper and watch the "wax spots appear". Use new pieces of paper/brown bag till all the wax is up. (05/03/2008)

By DeeJay

Candle Wax off the Wall

I tried boiling water and a sponge, worked OK. (05/05/2008)

By BB

Candle Wax off the Wall

The hairdryer and paper towel worked great for red candle wax on my white glossy painted wall. After the wax was gone there was still some left over red stain and I used a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to take care of the rest. Thanks Ladies! (10/21/2008)

By Christine

Candle Wax off the Wall

The blow dryer and paper towel work - but there is still pinkish wax residue. So then I used none other than Spray and Wash! It really worked! I sprayed it on, let it soak for 10-20 seconds, and then vigorously wiped it, then scrubbed it off with a white paper towel. (12/31/2008)

By Red Candle Cleaner!

Candle Wax off the Wall

Used the hair dryer and paper towel, yet a greenish tint remained so I tried the Magic Eraser and it removed the paint. The blue paint is now showing through the white. Don't use the Magic Eraser on your wall. (01/11/2009)

By Joel

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 20, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 24, 2001 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning WallsSeptember 14, 2011
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
candle
Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 11:17:23 PM on 10.0.2.219 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.