Cleaning Candle Wax from Walls

It is not uncommon for candle wax to get on the wall. Simply blowing out your candles too hard can splatter melted wax on the wall. This is a guide about cleaning candle wax from walls.

Pillar candles on a glass plate with river rocks.
Filter Sort

Question: Candle Wax off the Wall

By mooselady 1

How do I remove candle wax from my painted wall?

By mooselady from Port Huron, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By martha 1 Flag

Hi, I too had a red candle on my mantle for the holidays. I also blew too hard and splattered the red wax lightly on my painted wall. Tried all three suggestions (hand held steamer, hair dryer and magic eraser) and nothing removed the stain. The above three were usefull in as much as I was able to remove all wax, but I had to resort to touch up painting to cover the pinkish stain that remained. Hope others have better luck. I must say I didn't tend to the wax on the wall for almost 2 weeks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Wax from the Wall

By kristina 1

How do I get wax off of my wall?

By Kristina from Willcox, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By R Dialogue 1 Flag

I literally just tried the ironing tip seconds ago - and it really works!

Red candle wax on neutrally painted wall... Brutal!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Potpourri Wax from Wall

By Steve zal 1

How do you clean wax from a potpourri melt off of the wall? I blew out the tea light from underneath but was too high. The wax spattered all over the white textured wall.

By Steve from Boston, MA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I was relighting a candle & I accidentally dropped it... splatter on the TV, wall, floor & my bed. I think I'm gonna go try that :]

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Getting Colored Wax Off Walls

By Tabitha H. 1

I knocked a brown candle over and the wax went all over my living room wall. I used a hair dyer to melt the wax, but wiped the wax off with a Mr. Clean eraser dipped in 2 cups hot tap water with 2 tsp of white vinegar. No stains! This works really well on white/cream walls.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Hardened Wax on Wall

By Brenda Adams W. 1

How do I get get hardened wax off the wall in my bedroom that's painted with flat paint?

By B.J.Williams

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lauren M. 2 Flag

The application of heat or cold. I think the best option would be to put wax paper over the hardened wax (attach it with tape that won't damage the wall), then hover a steam iron about a centimeter away from the wall. The heat will soften the wax, and the wax should adhere to the wax paper.

Another option is to cover with wax paper, and go over the spot with ice or an icepack. Chilling the wax will make it brittle, and it should pop off without too much difficulty.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Candle Wax Stain from Wall

I am trying to clean red candle wax from a white wall. How do I get the stain out?

By Deetta

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DaniLion 4 Flag

I've heard, but never tried it myself. Use an ice cube to freeze the wax so that it just crumbles off the wall. The coloring from the candle may leave a stain on your wall that would need to be lightly sanded, primed and painted over, but freezing will generally get the majority of the wax itself off.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Candle Wax from a Wall

By LaurieS 11 38

Any suggestions on how to remove candle wax from a wall would be appreciated.

By LoriMae

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Candle Wax from Painted Wall

By Debbie O. 1

I recently got blue wax on a white wall from my candle. I picked the wax with my nail, but it's a day old and the stain is still there. It's not a gloss finished wall. Please help.

By Debbie O.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

How do you remove dried wax from a wall?

By Lynette

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Candle Wax off the Wall

We had a large candle that burned to the end only to drip over the side of the dish and all over the Christmas tree, the wall and the carpet. Of course it was a red candle and it stained the wall. We have scraped the wax off of it already but does anyone know what to do to get the stain off the wall? Thanks in advance.

Christine in Sunny Florida

Answers:
    RE: Candle Wax off the Wall 05/01/2001
    The stain may have soaked into the paint. In that case you might need to repaint the spot. You can try taking a paper towel and your clothes iron. Iron over the paper towel. It will remove any of the wax that might be left and might lift the stain. When you are sure there is no more wax you could try a little Ajax or Comet (provided it's a white wall.)

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall 12/29/2004
    I have found to get the stain out is to use SHOUT clothing stain remover. It sounds weird but it worked for my wife's purple candle that made a great mess for the holidays.
    By Bad CAndle (Guest Post)
    RE: Candle Wax off the Wall 07/28/2005
    Use your hair dryer to melt a small area then wipe with a paper towel, then repeat steps until it's clean.
    By doug (Guest Post)

Archive: Candle Wax off the Wall

I spilt a red candle all over my white wall. I scraped off the wax, used an iron and a blow dryer and most of the wax is gone. However, there is still a pinkish residue on the wall. I tried vinegar and nothing seems to work. I have to get this of the wall!

Please help,
    Wyn from Orlando, Florida

Answers:

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

If all you have left is the stain, try using the "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser". I'm not sure if that is the correct name but it comes in a bar that looks similar to soap. We used it on a stained wall of an apartment we rented and it made the wall look freshly painted. (04/20/2006)

By suerkeene@earthlink.net

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

Just 10 minutes ago I spilled dark purple wax on my wall. Lets say, I flipped out and started scraping wax off, but I realized it would take forever. After experimenting for a while, I removed all the wax, but realized there was this vivid pale stain against my white wall. So, I got a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and scrubbed for a minute or two and it was gone.(b)(/b)(b)(/b) (05/06/2006)

By Sierra P.

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

Thanks for the hair dryer suggestion! It really worked. Quickly and easily, without damaging the paint at all! (02/09/2007)

By Catherine

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

This just happened to me, my son accidentally ran into a table that I had a electric tart burner on and the wax from the tart was all over the wall. I scrapped some off gently but then I got out Windex and it did wonders, I was real surprised. (03/24/2007)

By chris s

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

Yes! After reading this site, I tried two attempts - magic eraser and the hairdryer/paper towel method. Eraser is good til you run out of scrubbing power. However, there is nothing like the hairdryer/paper towel method. There isn't even a stain. (11/08/2007)

By Kimberly

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

The hair dryer works great but it's only part of the solution. Use the dryer to heat the wax, wipe it off vigorously with a dry towel. Then take another cloth soaked with Sol-U-Mel cleaner and wipe until the stain is gone.

No, I don't sell Sol-U-Mel. (12/24/2007)

By Done that in MN

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

I had allow candle wax to drip on my wall, I was discouraged for 2 weeks. Today 3/15/08 I went on google search and looked up cleaning candle wax off a wall. This appeared and I have to thank you for making that job so easy with the hair dryer was easy. I allowed the hi heat of the blow dryer and dry the wax and I took a paper towel and wiped the remainder off. Thank you very much. (03/15/2008)

By Toni

Archive: Candle Wax off the Wall

I have read everyone's miracle cures for red candle wax on the wall, with the hair dryer and the Sol-U-Mel. I tried both and nothing is working! I even had my landlord paint over the stain but it has seeped through the paint. Now there are still faint red marks from the wax stain on my wall! If I try the hairdryer again now at this point, will it work better than before? Can someone please help!

Sarah from New York, NY

Feedback:

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

I find that 1 part mustard to 2 parts sulfuric acid works wonders when applied to a wall with a ducks feather. Even got rid of our Hanukkah candle stains from what we refer to as "Black Sabbath Sunday". (03/28/2008)

By Daddy Maz

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

I am trying to remove red candle wax from my wall. I just tried the blow dryer and then used the Magic Eraser and it worked! So blow dry the stain and then scrub. (04/11/2008)

By Csvallin

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

So.. my girlfriend spilled a candle in the bathroom on three surfaces .

1. The Wall - Solution: Hair dryer and paper towels.
    2. The Tiled Floor - Solution: Hair dryer and paper towels. Note: you will spend most of your time on the grout.
    3. The Bathmat (carpet) - Solution: Place a brown paper bag or any paper really (no print!) over the stain. Press an iron (on medium heat) to the paper and watch the "wax spots appear". Use new pieces of paper/brown bag till all the wax is up. (05/03/2008)

By DeeJay

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

I tried boiling water and a sponge, worked OK. (05/05/2008)

By BB

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

The hairdryer and paper towel worked great for red candle wax on my white glossy painted wall. After the wax was gone there was still some left over red stain and I used a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to take care of the rest. Thanks Ladies! (10/21/2008)

By Christine

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

The blow dryer and paper towel work - but there is still pinkish wax residue. So then I used none other than Spray and Wash! It really worked! I sprayed it on, let it soak for 10-20 seconds, and then vigorously wiped it, then scrubbed it off with a white paper towel. (12/31/2008)

By Red Candle Cleaner!

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

Used the hair dryer and paper towel, yet a greenish tint remained so I tried the Magic Eraser and it removed the paint. The blue paint is now showing through the white. Don't use the Magic Eraser on your wall. (01/11/2009)

By Joel

Archive: Candle Wax off the Wall

How do I remove candle wax from a wall? Burning candles on a wall sconce dripped all down the wall and onto hardwood floor.

I saw tips on removing from the hardwood, but need to know how to remove from the wall and baseboard without removing the paint.

By ldwolfe52 from Calgary, AB

Feedback:

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

Funny you should ask. Just yesterday I painted a wall with wax on it. I scraped it off, washed it with 409, and painted right over it. Today (30 hours later) it doesn't show through. Hope that took care of it. (05/07/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

Use a single-edger razor to scrape the wax off, then clean the wall and the floor. Re-apply whatever wax or finish you use on the floor. (05/07/2009)

By Mary T

Archive: Candle Wax off the Wall

How do I get candle wax off a wall?

By Judy

Feedback:

RE: Candle Wax off the Wall

Have you tried ice? It worked for me with wax on several things. Once it gets cold it breaks right away. (01/25/2010)

By Letitbld

Archive: Candle Wax off the Wall

What gets wax off walls?

By Jennifer from Creston, IA

Archive: Removing Wax from the Wall

Have you ever blown out a candle in a wall sconce and gotten wax all over your wall? Well here is my tip to remove it. You especially want to get that wax off before repainting. Place a clean white cotton towel or cloth over wax on wall. Using regular household iron on medium high heat, with no steam. Iron over towel. Continue using clean areas of towel until all the wax is removed. You may have to use more towels if you have a lot of wax. This tip will work to remove wax from carpet also!

By Doreen

Feedback:

RE: Removing Wax from the Wall

Using a brown paper bag works much better. I use brown paper bags to soak up melted wax when I am doing batik. (07/13/2005)

By Renmeleon

RE: Removing Wax from the Wall

What a great idea Doreen! Thanks for sharing this as I have some to remove from my carpet. "Not Me" was on the loose again and no one is owning up to it! I'm sure the towel will work perfectly and all of us with this problem appreciate you contributing to the site :)
    Maryanne
    http://www.teapotcottage.com (07/13/2005)

By Anonymous

RE: Removing Wax from the Wall

Thank you so much for the info. I had wax all over my wall and on the floor and I used your method and it worked. thanks a lot. if you know how to get wax out of a sofa please let me know.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) The best way is getting a few pieces of paper towels and an iron set to a low setting. Iron the place on your sofa through the paper towel and the paper towel will absorb the melted wax. It may take a few times to get it all. (04/04/2006)

By annette

Archive: Removing Wax from the Wall

I need information on the removal of candle wax from walls and cloth.

By silverbird from Ireland

Home and Garden Cleaning WallsSeptember 14, 2011
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
    Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
    Star shaped glass candle holder.
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
    candle
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
    Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
    Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 8:35:24 AM on 10.0.0.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings