Cleaning Candle Wax from Walls

It is not uncommon for candle wax to get on the wall. Simply blowing out your candles too hard can splatter melted wax on the wall. This is a guide about cleaning candle wax from walls.

Pillar candles on a glass plate with river rocks.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How do I remove candle wax from my painted wall?

By mooselady from Port Huron, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, I too had a red candle on my mantle for the holidays. I also blew too hard and splattered the red wax lightly on my painted wall. Tried all three suggestions (hand held steamer, hair dryer and magic eraser) and nothing removed the stain. The above three were usefull in as much as I was able to remove all wax, but I had to resort to touch up painting to cover the pinkish stain that remained. Hope others have better luck. I must say I didn't tend to the wax on the wall for almost 2 weeks.

Read More Answers...

I knocked a brown candle over and the wax went all over my living room wall. I used a hair dyer to melt the wax, but wiped the wax off with a Mr. Clean eraser dipped in 2 cups hot tap water with 2 tsp of white vinegar. No stains! This works really well on white/cream walls.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get get hardened wax off the wall in my bedroom that's painted with flat paint?

By B.J.Williams

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The application of heat or cold. I think the best option would be to put wax paper over the hardened wax (attach it with tape that won't damage the wall), then hover a steam iron about a centimeter away from the wall. The heat will soften the wax, and the wax should adhere to the wax paper.

Another option is to cover with wax paper, and go over the spot with ice or an icepack. Chilling the wax will make it brittle, and it should pop off without too much difficulty.

How do I get wax off of my wall?

By Kristina from Willcox, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I literally just tried the ironing tip seconds ago - and it really works!

Red candle wax on neutrally painted wall... Brutal!

Read More Answers...

I am trying to clean red candle wax from a white wall. How do I get the stain out?

By Deetta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've heard, but never tried it myself. Use an ice cube to freeze the wax so that it just crumbles off the wall. The coloring from the candle may leave a stain on your wall that would need to be lightly sanded, primed and painted over, but freezing will generally get the majority of the wax itself off.

How do you clean wax from a potpourri melt off of the wall? I blew out the tea light from underneath but was too high. The wax spattered all over the white textured wall.

By Steve from Boston, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was relighting a candle & I accidentally dropped it... splatter on the TV, wall, floor & my bed. I think I'm gonna go try that :]

Read More Answers...

I need information on the removal of candle wax from walls and cloth.

By silverbird from Ireland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you ever blown out a candle in a wall sconce and gotten wax all over your wall? Well here is my tip to remove it. You especially want to get that wax off before repainting. Place a clean white cotton towel or cloth over wax on wall. Using regular household iron on medium high heat, with no steam. Iron over towel. Continue using clean areas of towel until all the wax is removed. You may have to use more towels if you have a lot of wax. This tip will work to remove wax from carpet also!

By Doreen

Answers:

Removing Wax from the Wall

Using a brown paper bag works much better. I use brown paper bags to soak up melted wax when I am doing batik. (07/13/2005)

By Renmeleon

Removing Wax from the Wall

What a great idea Doreen! Thanks for sharing this as I have some to remove from my carpet. "Not Me" was on the loose again and no one is owning up to it! I'm sure the towel will work perfectly and all of us with this problem appreciate you contributing to the site :)
    Maryanne
    http://www.teapotcottage.com (07/13/2005)

By Anonymous

Removing Wax from the Wall

Thank you so much for the info. I had wax all over my wall and on the floor and I used your method and it worked. thanks a lot. if you know how to get wax out of a sofa please let me know.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) The best way is getting a few pieces of paper towels and an iron set to a low setting. Iron the place on your sofa through the paper towel and the paper towel will absorb the melted wax. It may take a few times to get it all. (04/04/2006)

By annette

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What gets wax off walls?

By Jennifer from Creston, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get candle wax off a wall?

By Judy

Answers:

Candle Wax off the Wall

Have you tried ice? It worked for me with wax on several things. Once it gets cold it breaks right away. (01/25/2010)

By Letitbld

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove candle wax from a wall? Burning candles on a wall sconce dripped all down the wall and onto hardwood floor.

I saw tips on removing from the hardwood, but need to know how to remove from the wall and baseboard without removing the paint.

By ldwolfe52 from Calgary, AB

Answers:

Candle Wax off the Wall

Funny you should ask. Just yesterday I painted a wall with wax on it. I scraped it off, washed it with 409, and painted right over it. Today (30 hours later) it doesn't show through. Hope that took care of it. (05/07/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Candle Wax off the Wall

Use a single-edger razor to scrape the wax off, then clean the wall and the floor. Re-apply whatever wax or finish you use on the floor. (05/07/2009)

By Mary T

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have read everyone's miracle cures for red candle wax on the wall with the hair dryer and the Sol-U-Mel.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Cleaning WallsSeptember 14, 2011
    Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
    Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
    Star shaped glass candle holder.
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
    candle
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 2:06:09 PM on 10.0.2.159 in 946 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.