Browsing: Cleaning Candle Wax from Walls

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Candle Wax from Walls

It is not uncommon for candle wax to get on the wall. Simply blowing out your candles too hard can splatter melted wax on the wall. This is a guide about cleaning candle wax from walls.

Pillar candles on a glass plate with river rocks.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 8, 2010 Flag

How do I remove candle wax from my painted wall?

By mooselady from Port Huron, MI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, I too had a red candle on my mantle for the holidays. I also blew too hard and splattered the red wax lightly on my painted wall. Tried all three suggestions (hand held steamer, hair dryer and magic eraser) and nothing removed the stain. The above three were usefull in as much as I was able to remove all wax, but I had to resort to touch up painting to cover the pinkish stain that remained. Hope others have better luck. I must say I didn't tend to the wax on the wall for almost 2 weeks.

I tried the hair dryer method, it took the wax off, but not the red stain left behind. I then tried the alcohol, but that did absolutely nothing. Looks like I have to repaint that section of the wall :(

Read More Answers...

August 17, 2013 Flag

I knocked a brown candle over and the wax went all over my living room wall. I used a hair dyer to melt the wax, but wiped the wax off with a Mr. Clean eraser dipped in 2 cups hot tap water with 2 tsp of white vinegar. No stains! This works really well on white/cream walls.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 30, 2013 Flag

How do I get get hardened wax off the wall in my bedroom that's painted with flat paint?

By B.J.Williams

The application of heat or cold. I think the best option would be to put wax paper over the hardened wax (attach it with tape that won't damage the wall), then hover a steam iron about a centimeter away from the wall. The heat will soften the wax, and the wax should adhere to the wax paper.

Another option is to cover with wax paper, and go over the spot with ice or an icepack. Chilling the wax will make it brittle, and it should pop off without too much difficulty.

April 12, 2011 Flag

How do I get wax off of my wall?

By Kristina from Willcox, AZ

Gently scrape as much as you can off of the wall and then hold a white rag (that you don't care about) over the wax and then iron over the cloth with a medium low warm clothing iron. The heat from the iron will melt the wax and the cloth will soak the heated wax up.

I literally just tried the ironing tip seconds ago - and it really works!

Red candle wax on neutrally painted wall... Brutal!

September 18, 2011 Flag

I am trying to clean red candle wax from a white wall. How do I get the stain out?

By Deetta

I've heard, but never tried it myself. Use an ice cube to freeze the wax so that it just crumbles off the wall. The coloring from the candle may leave a stain on your wall that would need to be lightly sanded, primed and painted over, but freezing will generally get the majority of the wax itself off.

December 25, 2007 Flag

How do you clean wax from a potpourri melt off of the wall? I blew out the tea light from underneath but was too high. The wax spattered all over the white textured wall.

By Steve from Boston, MA

I took the advice of using the hair dryer and kept wipping the wall with a paper towel idea. For the most part it worked but still had to go back and repaint the wall from the stain.

Thanks

I was relighting a candle & I accidentally dropped it... splatter on the TV, wall, floor & my bed. I think I'm gonna go try that :]

April 12, 2011 Flag

I need information on the removal of candle wax from walls and cloth.

By silverbird from Ireland

December 31, 2010 Flag

Have you ever blown out a candle in a wall sconce and gotten wax all over your wall? Well here is my tip to remove it. You especially want to get that wax off before repainting. Place a clean white cotton towel or cloth over wax on wall. Using regular household iron on medium high heat, with no steam. Iron over towel. Continue using clean areas of towel until all the wax is removed. You may have to use more towels if you have a lot of wax. This tip will work to remove wax from carpet also!

By Doreen

Answers:

Removing Wax from the Wall

Using a brown paper bag works much better. I use brown paper bags to soak up melted wax when I am doing batik. (07/13/2005)

By Renmeleon

Removing Wax from the Wall

What a great idea Doreen! Thanks for sharing this as I have some to remove from my carpet. "Not Me" was on the loose again and no one is owning up to it! I'm sure the towel will work perfectly and all of us with this problem appreciate you contributing to the site :)
    Maryanne
    http://www.teapotcottage.com (07/13/2005)

By Anonymous

Removing Wax from the Wall

Thank you so much for the info. I had wax all over my wall and on the floor and I used your method and it worked. thanks a lot. if you know how to get wax out of a sofa please let me know.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) The best way is getting a few pieces of paper towels and an iron set to a low setting. Iron the place on your sofa through the paper towel and the paper towel will absorb the melted wax. It may take a few times to get it all. (04/04/2006)

By annette

September 8, 2010 Flag

What gets wax off walls?

By Jennifer from Creston, IA

July 25, 2010 Flag

How do I get candle wax off a wall?

By Judy

Answers:

Candle Wax off the Wall

Have you tried ice? It worked for me with wax on several things. Once it gets cold it breaks right away. (01/25/2010)

By Letitbld

January 23, 2010 Flag

How do I remove candle wax from a wall? Burning candles on a wall sconce dripped all down the wall and onto hardwood floor.

I saw tips on removing from the hardwood, but need to know how to remove from the wall and baseboard without removing the paint.

By ldwolfe52 from Calgary, AB

Answers:

Candle Wax off the Wall

Funny you should ask. Just yesterday I painted a wall with wax on it. I scraped it off, washed it with 409, and painted right over it. Today (30 hours later) it doesn't show through. Hope that took care of it. (05/07/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Candle Wax off the Wall

Use a single-edger razor to scrape the wax off, then clean the wall and the floor. Re-apply whatever wax or finish you use on the floor. (05/07/2009)

By Mary T

May 7, 2009 Flag

I have read everyone's miracle cures for red candle wax on the wall with the hair dryer and the Sol-U-Mel.

March 20, 2008 Flag
    Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

April 24, 2001 Flag
    Home and Garden Cleaning WallsSeptember 14, 2011
    Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
    Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
    Star shaped glass candle holder.
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
    candle
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 8:04:47 PM on 10.0.0.120 in 665 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.