Planting Beets

It's okay to plant your beet seeds a little on the heavy side. Once the plants are big enough to thin, you have two choices for the extras. One is to cook them whole as beet greens. The other is to replant them at the end of the row in loose soil. Water them well, and keep an eye on them. They will grow, and you'll get more beets per pack than you expected. We've done this, and it works! We always plant Detroit Dark Red.

By Marjorie

We also use our beet leaves raw with lettuce and other leafy greens to make mesclun salad. I plant a variety of beets (I'm assuming it's the same thing we call beetroot) so that I have both red leaves and the green kind with red veins. I haven't tried cooking them though, so I will try that as well. Thanks for the tip!