Freezing Beets

While reading the solutions to the question about freezing cooked beets, I realized I could freeze them like I do fresh berries. I put a sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper in an 8x8 inch pan, then layer the cooked, sliced beets so they freeze individually.

When frozen, release from the paper into a freezer bag. When defrosted, they will be able to be used in a salad or re-heated.

By Stonesdoor from Miami, FL

16 Questions

I have a large, 4 pound 6 ounce, can of whole beets. What would be an acceptable way to save the unused portion?

I will not be using the remaining contents right away. Would freezing in a storage bag be okay?

Answers

Best Answer

It is safe to freeze them. You can either freeze them in the juice or remove the juice and freeze them in an air tight freezer bag. This will all depend on you. Just remember than when you defrost them, they will not be the same as when you froze them.

Answer this Question

Can you freeze beets and how long do they last?

By Amy P

Answers

Go to www.pickyourown.org . This site tells you everything about freezing and canning. I use this site regularly.

From www.pickyourown.org.
Freezing Beets
Since beets are almost exclusively used in a cooked form, which means that losing the raw texture is less important, they do freeze fairly well. Here's how to freeze beets to store in your freezer at home.
Directions
Step 1 - Selecting the beets
The most important step! Select deep, uniformly-red, tender, young beets. You need beets that are fresh and crisp. Limp, old beets will make nasty tasting canned beets. Guests will probably throw them at you. Select firm, crisp beets. Remove and discard any soft, diseased, spotted and chewed up beets.

How many beets and where to get them
You can grow your own, pick your own, or buy them at the grocery store. About 7 pounds of 2- to 2-inch diameter beets makes about 8 pints of beets.

Step 2 - Trim the ends and cut into smaller pieces
Just take a sharp knife and trim off beet tops, leaving an 1/2 to 1 inch of stem and roots to prevent bleeding of color.

Step 3 -Wash the beets!
I'm sure you can figure out how to scrub the beets in plain cold or lukewarm water using your hands or a vegetable brush. It's easier to wash them after you've cut off the tops.

Step 4 - Cook the beets
Put similar sized beets (hopefully, they're all of a similar size so they take the same time to cook) together with enough boiling water to cover them and cook until tender (usually for small beets 25 to 30 minutes; for medium beets 45 to 50 minutes, in an open pot, or 10 - 15 minutes in a pressure cooker). Drain and discard the liquid.

Step 5 - Cool the beets
You can pour ice over them, or just let them cool on their own. It's just to cool them enough so you can handle them to remove the skins, stems, roots and then slice or quarter them.

Step 6 - Trim, peel and slice
Trim off the roots and stems. The skins should easily slide off. Slice the beets into 1-inch slices. You can leave the beets whole (if they are small, say 1 inch or less), or quarter them or slice them into 1-inch slices.

Step 7 - Package, label and freeze
Package in ziploc freezer bags, or better, in a vacuum food saver bag. Label; e.g., "Beets" and the current date. Seal and freeze.

Beets should be cooked in skins until done. Pull skins off and slice or quarter. Put a small amount of the juice from the cooking of the beets into the container with the sliced beets. I usually place them in plastic freezer bags. They will keep for at least 2 yrs as long as there is not a hole in the bag. Be sure to press all the air from the plastic bag. They can be made into "just heat and season" and eat or into vinegar and sugar or splenda recipes. I some times put a sprinkle of cinnamon and stir in a little splenda and corn starch and vinegar and heat until cornstarch is clear.

I do most of the things listed here, but I water or juice pack them in zip bags. When you seal them in the bags make sure you get all the air out. These water packed beets are great and I've used them up to 2 years after making them. Only if the bag hasn't been broken. I make juice or water packed beets when I freeze them. This gives me the option of plain or pickled, when they are thawed. I use quart bags that way if I want more I can use more. They also thaw easier.

To make pickled beets and eggs, I heat the whole bag or more bags of beets with vinegar and sugar, then add the eggs to the hot mix and refrigerate. You must taste this mix to get the right amount of vinegar and sugar. When eggs are put in the hot mix, they soak up the color and taste faster. We like ours quite puckery, more so than most people. My choice is no spices with mine. I prefer the plain sugar and vinegar flavor. I also don't use salt. I don't think mine need it. If I have it I like red wine vinegar.

I have my beets and I want to boil them. Can I then cut them up and freeze them for winter use?

By Hazel

Answers

You should be able to cut the beets after cooking, then freeze them just like any other cooked food is frozen.

Yes but you can cut them up first and then they will be ready to serve.

Anonymous

Yes you have to cut them first then you boil and then you can freeze them

Answer this Question

Can I freeze beetroot?

By James E.

Answers

Google the topic to find the directions. No matter what you do with beets, you have to scrub them and cook them with the skins on them, and leave two-three inches of stem on them, or else they will bleed the color out, and they won't be the nice deep color that they normally are.

Along with Redhatterb's advice you need to cook them until tender. Allow them to cool and store in a freezer container with as much air removed as possible.

Answer this Question

Can I freeze fresh garden beets in a food storage sealed bag?

Linda

Answers

Beets: Wash and sort according to size. Leave tap root but trim tops leaving 1-2 inch of stem. Cook in boiling water until tender (small beets 25 to 30 minutes/large beets 45 to 50 minutes). Cool, peel (removing stem and tap root) and cut into slices or cubes. Package, seal and freeze.

Try these directions, I used it last year and it worked.

Freezing Beets: Since beets are almost exclusively used in a cooked form, which means that losing the raw texture is less important, they do freeze fairly well. Here's how to freeze beets to store in your freezer at home.

Directions
Step 1 - Selecting the beets: The most important step! Select deep, uniformly-red, tender, young beets. You need beets that are FRESH and crisp. Limp, old beets will make nasty tasting canned beets. Select firm, crisp beets. Remove and discard any soft, diseased, spotted and chewed up beets.
How many beets and where to get them
You can grow your own, pick your own, or buy them at the grocery store. About 7 pounds of 2- to 2½-inch diameter beets makes about 8 pints of beets.

Step 2 - Take a sharp knife and trim off beet tops, leaving an 1/2 to 1 inch of stem and roots to prevent bleeding of color (very important that you leave some stems and the roots).

Step 3 -Wash the beets! Scrub the beets in plain cold or lukewarm water using your hands or a vegetable brush. It's easier to wash them after you've cut off the tops.

Step 4 - Cook the beets: Put similar sized beets (hopefully, they're ALL of a similar size so they take the same time to cook) together with enough boiling water to cover them and cook until tender (usually for small beets 25 to 30 minutes; for medium beets 45 to 50 minutes, in an open pot, or 10 - 15 minutes in a pressure cooker). Drain and discard the liquid.

Step 5 - Cool the beets: You can pour ice over them, or just let them cool on their own. It's just to cool them enough so you can handle them to remove the skins, stems, roots and then slice or quarter them.

Step 6 - Trim, peel and slice: Trim off the roots and stems. The skins should easily slide off. Slice the beets into ¼-inch slices. You can leave the beets whole (if they are small, say 1 inch or less), or quarter them or slice them into ¼-inch slices.

Step 7 - Package, label and freeze: Package in ziploc freezer bags, or better, in a vacuum food saver bag. Label; e.g., "Beets" and the current date. Seal and freeze
________________________________________

Answer this Question

I need a recipe for how to freeze beets.

By Alice

Answers

I'm sure you can find the directions on google. From what I can remember from many years ago, you cook the beets without peeling them and you also leave the tail and a few inches of the stems, whatever they are called. You have to do this or else they will lose a quite a bit of their color. Then when they are completely cooked you cut the tail and stems off, and peel them, then cut them into whatever size pieces you want and proceed to put them in containers, baggies, etc. and freeze. Being they are already cooked you won't have to blanch them. Like I say this is what I remember, so I would verify it before doing it.

Answer this Question

Can you freeze beets in plastic freezer containers? If so what are the steps to do it? Should some of the juices be frozen with it? Or packed dry?

By Lynn R.

Answers

You are best to can them. I am not sure you can freeze beets. Check out the "Ball Caning Book" I think it's called Ball Blue book.

Answer this Question

Can I freeze fresh beets to use at a later time, such as for soups?

By Lu from Canada

Answers

I tried, they were disgusting. They need to be canned or pickled.

Answer this Question

Can I freeze raw sugar beets, and for how long? Does freezing destroy it's natural nutrients?

By Josephine C

Answer this Question

Can I freeze my beets after I've bottled them?

By Gloria from Bay Bulls, NL, Canada

Answer this Question

Can I freeze home grown red beets and how do I do it?

By B.W. from Wenatchee, WA

Answer this Question

How long can you freeze beetroot? Can you freeze spinach and how?

By Nicky

Answer this Question

I am a senior and have never come across this before. Can beets be frozen after cooking? I have never heard of frozen beets, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Can you freeze red beets?

Load More
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 27, 2011
🎃
🍂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Freezing-Beets-3.html