Freezing Beets

I am a senior and have never come across this before. Can beets be frozen after cooking? I have never heard of frozen beets, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I will be buying some this weekend and would like to know how many to buy, a little or a lot.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

Answers:

Freezing Beets

I assume you will be buying fresh beets. I freeze almost anything that is cooked. I know a lady who says she freezes anything that doesn't run away and has never had bad luck. Freezing these beets after they are cooked would be like freezing left overs. How many you buy would depend on how much freezer space you have. Do you know that when you cook fresh beets, you have to leave the root on and several inches of the stems? Then you let them cool and peel them. I am 69 years old and used to can a lot of beet pickles. Never froze much produce because my now "ex" didn't like frozen produce, we had lots of meat in our freezer. (08/01/2009)

By redhatterb

Freezing Beets

pickyourown.org I would think you should cook it first. Here is a detailed explanation.
Check it out. (08/01/2009)

By zoya34

Freezing Beets

You can freeze beets. We had an abundance of beets in our garden and I wasn't sure what to do with them and wondered if I could freeze them as well. I was happy when I found out you could. The best way is to cut the tops off leaving a little on the top and the root. (Prevents them from bleeding.) Boil them whole for about 25 minutes. Then put them in cool water, peel and chop or shred. Put in freezer bags. Perfect for borscht soup or some cake recipes I have seen. (08/03/2009)

By morbetomommy

Freezing Beets

Beetroots keep well if you pack them in dry peat and use them as and when required, keep a space between each individual root. (08/03/2009)

By ratchetstrap