Homemade Sweet Pickle Relish

Does anyone have a good recipe for making sweet pickle relish? I don't like the store bought sweet relish because it's loaded with preservatives and artificial colors, it tastes yucky. I'd like to start making it at home. I know it's just cucumbers, vinegar and sugar, but it seems like it might be hard to make it come out right.

Christy from Balto, MD

Try allrecipes.com or Food Network tv

Find a bread and butter pickle recipe that you like and grind the ingredients. My mother did that and it makes a marvellous relish.

my mom used to make what's called cha-cha(relish).

It was always so delicious!

http://www.florenceshomestyle.com/greens2.html

you might consider it instead !

The one above really isn't what I wanted to post - something more like this :

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1936,134190-246193,00.html

& I heard her call it by both names, cha cha & chow chow

Ditto what Mary said below. :-)

My mom canned some relish that I believe was bread and butter pickle relish that lasted for years & years. When that ran out she ended up taking cucumber chip pickles we had and chopping them up in the food processor with a little bit of the juice. Tasted just as good. We only use it for hot dogs so it made sense not to have a shipload of it around.

Christy, if you will e-mail me I will send you an old time recipe for the relish that is out of this world.I have made it for years and will never change to another recipe. Karen busdrivr AT alltel.net

Here is the recipe I have used for years. It is from the Ball Blue Book.

4 cups (960ml)chopped cucumbers

2 cups (480ml) chopped onions

1 chopped green pepper

1 chopped sweet red pepper

1/4 cup canning salt (DO NOT USE TABLE SALT) will make the cucumbers limp

3 1/2 cups sugar(840ml)

2 cups(840) cider vinegar

1 Tablespoon (15 ml) celey seed

1 Tablespoon mustard seed.

Combine cucumbers, onions, green and red peppers in a large bowl. sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours. Drain thoroughly; press out excess liquid. Combine sugar, vinegar and spices; heat to boiling. Add drained vegetables and simmer 10 minutes. Pack hot into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch (16mm) head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield about 4 pints.

*I have a note on my recipe that this amount of liquid makes enough for a double batch of relish. Do not Double the mustard seed though.

I use an old fashion grinder to chop vegetables.

I tried this one posted below last year and it is an awesome relish recipe. So good, we used it on hot dogs, in tuna salad, chicken salad and potato salad. So versatile! I am making it again this year (today actually!) and have sweet banana peppers that I am adding to it. This recipe is a keeper!

Quart jars of pickle relish
Pickle Relish Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes CondimentsJuly 15, 2008
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Zucchini Relish Recipes
Zucchini Relish Recipes
Cranberry Relish in Yellow Dish at Thanksgiving Dinner Table
Cranberry Relish Recipes
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes
🎄
🍂