Miniature Pies Baked in Canning Jars

contest winner icon

This concept is rather simple. Instead of a large pie, you're making a miniature one.

Line your canning jar with preferred dough, leaving enough at the top for a fold-over crust.

Fill will desired pie filling (apple, cherry, etc.).

Cut out a circle of dough with a glass (this will sit on top of the pie filling). Make slits in dough for steam release.

Pinch and seal the top edges.

Jar lids can be replaced and the pies can be frozen. Be sure to thaw completely before baking.

To bake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place individual jars in a muffin tin. Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is a golden brown.

Let cool about 20 minutes. These pies can be eaten in the jar or inverted onto a plate.

By April from Albany, GA

What a neat idea! Thanx, April!

I am not sure but I don't think this is safe to do. Couldn't jars explode or something in oven if jar has a defect or unseen crack?

Very clever and unique idea but I am also wondering if the mason jars can withstand that amount of oven heat because they just aren't the same composition and thickness of glass as a glass baking dish is and canning is done in boiling water which is 212 degrees.

Brilliant! Regarding the safety of this glass - maybe we cook the little pies at a heat lower than the usual 350 - 400 degrees? Has anyone had the time to call the Mason or Ball Jar people? They surely would know if this is safe. I still say this is a great idea!

Sorry ya'll. Cute idea, but apparently the canning jars do pose a problem. I guess you could use oven-safe ramekins instead of jars. April

You can bake cakes to can in the oven in jars my grandma used to do it all the time. You bake the cake at 350 than take it out put a lid on it and it seals, or you can put the lid on before putting it in the oven and it will seal. Canning jars have to withstand the pressure cooker too which is different than just plain boiling water. This is probably perfectly safe as long as your jar is free from defects which is why you are supposed to check for defects every time before using a jar. Hope this helps. I wouldn't bake it higher than 350 though.

It's still a cute idea, April, so don't worry about it!

Tigra posted the comment about contacting the Mason jar company. Here's Jarden Home Brands (Ball Mason jars) information:

Glass raw materials are heated to 2300 to 2950 degrees C to make glass so the jar will not soften at 550 C. However, we do not recommend baking cakes in home canning jars for the following reasons:

1. Variable heat in the oven could cause jar breakage.

2. Food located in the center of the jar does not always reach safe internal temperatures

3. The possibility of damage to the sealing compound is high in the oven.

While foods may be fully cooked in the jars, they are not safe for shelf storage. Jarden Home Brands does not feel sufficient research has been completed in this area and does not endorse the baking procedure.

And using ramekins is an excellent idea for mini-pies for sure, April :-)

Deeli :-)

My girls do something similar they recycle tuna cans and bake in them, cooling, placing ice cream, then freezing them for a summer treat. A lot cheaper than buying and you get your own flavor.

How long are the pies good for once baked and sealed? Also do you have to freeze them first or can you just make and bake?

Thanks!

I have cooked lots of cakes in jars. I sent them to my son in Iraq. They were perfect. I saved a few back and kept them for a year. When I opened them they were as fresh as the day I baked them. I put them in the microwave for just long enough to heat them, and they were awesome.

What a great idea for live alones like me. I am a pie junkie but usually end the month with a couple of pies that are horribly gone by. You know the ones, sort of hard and rubbery around the crust edge. Yuck. This idea lets you freeze multiples for fresh baked pies the month through! Awesome idea! I will vote for you for sure!

Did this post come with a picture? My PC is not showing one, and I am having a hard time visualizing how this might work.

I have baked pumpkin bread, zucchini bread in large mouth pint jars and they have turned out all right. Better than all right. They were Fantastic.

Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts PiesJuly 29, 2009
3 beautiful nectarines on leaves
Canning Nectarines
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
🎉
🎄