Finding Free Home Repair Materials - Categories:

Building MaterialsHome Improvement

Finding Free Home Repair Materials

I am unemployed and am looking for things I need around the house (for example, piping for my wood burning stove). I was wondering if anyone had an idea of where I can find a dump site that I can go to salvage other's trash as my treasure. Anyone have any ideas?

By Loleini

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I think most dump sites are locked to the public now. If you are unemployed, you have to have some type of income, be it unemployment, or disability income. No matter the source of the income, you should budget some of it for home repairs, make repairs as one comes up, not letting them accumulate until you have numerous repairs to make.

Look in your phone book and see if the there is something called Re-Store listed. Some places have them, it is a place that when people remodel their homes they can take re-usable items and donate them at this store. The store sells the items at extremely low costs and the money in turn goes to Habitat For Humanity. Ask the pastor of your church if the church can help you. Sometimes a church will take up a special anonymous offering if a member of the congregation has fallen on hard times.

When I was a kid, my family(2 parents and 4 kids) were extremely hard up, we had lots of meals without meat, even though we were farmers, there were times we couldn't afford to butcher a cow or hog, because every last one of them had to be sold to accumulate enough money to make the yearly farm payment, but whenever a repair had to be made to the house or out buildings, my Dad always seemed to get it done. We had an oil burning stove in the living room that had metal piping that went up through the ceiling to upstairs where the piping met up with a chimney to take the burned residue outside. In the dining room we had a coal burning stove with the same set up. We moved onto the farm in the spring of 1947 (I was 7 years old), and those stoves with the same pipes lasted until after I left home when I was 18.

I can't remember exactly how long after that it was before they had a floor furnace installed in the doorway between the dining room and living room. But the stove pipes never got replaced in that amount of time. I do know they were new when we got the stoves, there are some things it just doesn't pay to skimp on unless you are positive there are no areas in the pipe that are about to burn through. If your pipes aren't good quality, they are a fire risk.

People in my area make requests thro a radio station web site that includes a good variety of topics eg. pets, furniture, misc. etc. etc. Often times people change their mind and are glad to have someone haul unneeded items away.

In many areas, there is an organization called Freecycle. People offer things for free, and can ask for things for free. The idea is to keep useful things out of landfills. Google Freecycle.org, and see if there is one in your area. If there is, once you comply with the joining rules, you can post a "want" for what you need. Check it out. I have received a bike, a trouble light, and many perennials for my garden.

May 7, 2012 Flag

My sister's roof is in very bad need of repair and she cannot afford to pay for all of it or hardly any of it for that matter because she raises 3 young children on her own. Does anyone know where we can find help? It is in Sweetwater, Tennessee, but Mcminn county is where the home is located. We may be able to round up some workers possibly, if we at least had the materials. The roof is bad enough that it has made the sheet rock in her bedroom ceiling fall apart. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

By Latina L.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My first thought is to contact Home for Humanity. This is the volunteer group that builds houses for folks that are needy. A lot of the materials they use are donated or given at very low cost. I would think their number would be in the phone book or maybe the city or town hall would be able to also be of help.

If you have a vocational school near by and they have a carpenters construction program maybe the instructor would have knowledge of where to obtain roofing shingles at no cost and maybe the students would volunteer to do the work for some sandwiches and cokes.

Also ask roofing contractors for any roofing materials they may have. Sometimes when they do a roofing job there are extra shingles left over they could contribute to your cause.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Building MaterialsNovember 15, 2011
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material, A box filled with packing peanuts.
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material
A girl working on a math.
Free Educational Materials
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 1:20:28 PM on 10.0.0.242 in 438 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.