Finding Free Building Materials

One way to cut home repair or remodel costs is to find a source for free building materials. This is a guide about finding free building materials.

If you see a construction site or a renovation near your house, ask the contractor or site manager if you can have some of the scrap building material. They usually will be happy to oblige you as long as you don't get in their way. They are going to have pay to dispose of the refuse so any that you take off their hands will save them money. It's a great way to get scraps for fire wood, wood for small projects, or old bricks to use in your garden. Of course, always ask permission before removing anything from a construction site!

By Fisher

Top Comment

This is a really good idea for crafters....especially to get nice pieces of 2 x 4's and such that can be used in dolls, etc. My only advice is to be sure you can use the stuff you collect and haul away. My hubby and I used to be big into craft making and we did just that several times but then got away from the crafts but still had so much of that stuff stored in our garage. Eventually my husband called for a dumpster delivery to the tune of $85 and threw all the scrap wood, etc into it plus other "junk" we didn't want and it was hauled away. Just wanted to caution you on taking too much freebie building supplies unless you know you can really use it or have plenty of room to store it!

The Boss is preparing to ship a 40 ft. container to W. Africa; I'm looking for a cheap (or, free) source for gently used metal windows, doors, building materials, (which are next-to-impossible to find in his country) to add to the shipment. Any guidance, suggestions? Thanks, in advance.

By vbartvbart from Orlando, FL

Answers

Best Answer

Habitat for Humanity has a location in Orlando, as they do in many, many cities. They have a "store" called the "ReStore". It is located at this address:

2105 N. Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL 32804
phone number 407-426-7192

They will probably have what you need. Although they do not "give it away" for free. The prices are amazingly low. The items they have for sale have been donated by businesses and individuals. Some items are new, some are good used recyclable items. The income that is generated by these sales helps pay for materials to build the next "Habitat House". It is a wonderful program...a "Hand UP" not a "Hand Out"!

Please "Google" Habitat for Humanity and read about all the good things they have done and continue to do. My husband and I volunteer with "Habitat" here in our community and find it extremely rewarding. I would encourage others to do the same.

I hope you find what you need. Call and talk to the folks in the office. Maybe they can work with you. Best of Luck

Best Answer

If you belong to Freecycle or Cheapcycle, try posting a "wanted." Be prepared to pick up, though. Call or visit your local thrift stores, or if your town has a building-materials salvage shop, try there.

Best Answer

Start with the Southern Waste Information eXchange, Inc. website http://swix.ws
or some of the links on their site. I frequent a sister site in Minnesota and have found it useful for projects such as yours. I think this is just what you are looking for as it deals with larger quantities of materials and supplies than I usually see listed on Freecycle or Cheapcycle. Good luck.

Best Answer

Oops, I forgot to mention to look in particular to the waste eXchange portion of the http://swix.ws website.
good luck

My husband and I are in much need of doing some home renovation and can't afford it due to my being my mother's caregiver for almost 3 years. She passed away last March and our income dropped dramatically! She was a breast cancer victim and lost Medicaid 2 years before she passed. So, a family member had to take care of her. I am the eldest child. Where can we turn for some help?

My husband is a carpenter and can do the work, we just need materials to do the renovation. Need help in Tennessee. Any suggestions who to call? Thank you.

Robin

Answers

Best Answer

Check out www.freecycle.com great site for getting lots of stuff for free. All you have to do is pick it up. And the offerings are in your local area. Today on the site, there was drywall, flooring tiles, and paint ... amongst lots of other stuff.

Best Answer

Have you tried Habitat for Humanity? I could be a possibility.

I live in Mississippi and had a house fire. I have the house completely gutted out and am ready to rebuild. I am not needing money, but 2x4s ,6s, 8s, 12s, and plywood. Does anyone know anywhere that could help with those things. I am disabled and am fighting health issues to rebuild. My wife is over 50 and she does not work. It is very hard to pay living expenses, materials, and city permits off of $750 a month. I tell you SSDI is a joke. I wish I would have invested better before health issues.

I can say one thing life is never boring. Just got the house repaired from hurricane Katrina then my health went to crap, then a fire. I lost the rental house which was supposed to help with expenses from the hurricane. Well if no one knows anywhere to ask, I hope this makes someone feel better about there lives that may not be so bad. Thanks for reading.

By Stanley

Answers

Best Answer

If you have a local Habitat for Humanity office give them a call. Some of them have stores that sell things like that very reasonable. If you are involved with a church you could ask them as sometimes they do local projects or can direct you to a local group that will help out. Good luck, I'm in PA. and can't help you out with materials....just pass on ideas that may help you! Linda

Does anybody know where to get cheap or free paint, interior doors, and light fixtures? We also need to know how to remove popcorn from ceiling and apply texture, without paying a fortune, we don't have.

Answers

The cheapest way is Freecycle. You can also visit homes that are being remodeled and ask for the old stuff

I am looking for cheap or free or even donated building materials to help my family and other families. My house is a one story house that has been in construction since I can remember. The room that is suppose to be my mom's, sister's, and mine is covered in black mold due to holes in our ceiling. Our walls are still drywall and our floors are plywood. Our roof is falling apart with a family of squirrels in it. The other family's house is uneven. One part of their wall has fallen and the windows and doors are torn up. The electrical is torn up and the basement is cement and mud. Their barn which they use as storage is falling apart and the stairs to the basement are hazardous. Please help as much as you can.

By Kt Grace

Answers

Where in the world are you? No one can assist you without knowing your location.

Your home does not sound liveable. Are you all adults, or are there children involved. Are people employed? How old are you? Perhaps government services should be called upon to aid you.

I think that you need more help than you can receive on a helpful hints newsletter.