Bargain Frozen Bananas

contest winner icon

What a treat! I found very ripe bananas for $1/5 pounds. Very few were soft, so I took a chance. I also bought some chocolate shell, because I remember frozen chocolate covered bananas from my days of working at Knott's Berry Farm. I peeled as many bananas as my large round plastic food container would hold, breaking each one in half. They got sprinkled with lemon juice to retain their color. Then they went into the freezer, carefully covered. The next day I poured chocolate shell over them, and it set up immediately. But there wasn't enough chocolate to cover them all, so I got on the net and found a recipe that is way cheaper than the $2.59 teeny weeny bottle.

You melt 3 tablespoons of butter and 2/3 cup of chocolate chips over low heat together. That's it. Pour it over ice cream of frozen bananas. That made enough to finish the batch. We have enjoyed frozen bananas since then, and there are enough for about 25 servings. That left a bunch of the ripest bananas. I mashed them up and made the equivalent of four loaves of banana bread. We had company for dinner on Sunday and ate some. I sent a loaf home with one of our guests. And the other half of the batch will be served tonight at our grandson's going-away bash. Since I had almost everything on hand, I spent only $1.10 for bananas and $2.59 for chocolate shell.

You don't have to use regular milk chocolate chips for the shell. Mine were the kind that are filled with peanut butter. I'll bet bittersweet would be really good. And it probably came out to a total of 65 servings of dessert. YUM! Now I'm watching for a sale on chocolate chips!

Coreenhart from Rupert, ID

good tip and idea now i must have

a frozen choc covered nanna!! oh yum

I remember eating those frozen bananas when I was a kid and worked at the fairs. YUM. I think I'll make some too!

If you have an ALDI store in your area try their semisweet chocolate chips. I buy a lot of my groceries from them and save a good bit of money buying their own brands. As to the quality, I've been impressed with most of their products. Go to http://www.aldifoods.com/home.html and see if they have a store near you.

I'm not shilling for ALDI or affiliated with them in any way, but I love a bargain!

Sounds delish!

Several years ago a new supermarket opened up in our area and they sold bananas for something ridiculous like 9 cents a pound. And yes, they were quality bananas, not the dark spotty ones.

Over the weeks the price went up to 12, 14, 19 and so on but in that time period I ate a ton of bananas.

My favorite was bananas dipped in hazelnut spread. But there were roasted bananas in butter brown sugar sauce and bananas with graham cracker crumbs and toasted coconut.

Enjoy

HI, I make frozen bananas too and buy my chocolate chips at a store called Mannies. It is a dented can store. I buy them sometimes 50 cents a bag. The last time I was there I bought about 10 bags and put them in my freezer. pab

I slice a banana, freeze it, and then make a smoothie using the frozen banana slices, chocolate soy milk, and honey.

A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitJune 28, 2007
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
Meatballs cooking in sauce.
Using Frozen Meatballs
Halved avocado on top of pile of avocados.
Freezing Avocados
🎉
🎄