Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Category Mosquitoes
Mosquito on someone's hand.
Mosquitoes are a problem in many regions. This page contains mosquito repellent recipes.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

A safe mosquito repellant is 2 ounces of water and 2 ounces of pure vanilla extract. Put in a spray bottle. They "hate" the smell. Make sure you use pure vanilla extract and not imitation vanilla extract.

• 2 fl oz water
  • 2 fl oz pure vanilla extract

Directions:

• Mix water and vanilla extract in a spray bottle.
  • Comment Was this helpful? 6
    Read 1 Comment

Use equal amounts of pure vanilla and water in a squirt bottle. Works great for children too!

By Salmon Patty from Camden, MI

Read 1 Comment

Close-up of mosquito on human skin

This is a guide about sulfur mosquito repellent. Sulfur powder from a pharmacy may deter mosquitos from biting.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Apple cider vinegar, lemongrass, lemons for natural mosquito repellant

This is a guide about natural mosquito repellent recipes. Rather than use chemical based commercial insect repellent products try making your own natural ones.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of a mosquito repellent that consists of beer, Listerine and Epsom salt?

By Maria from San Antonio, TX

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Just made a large jug of spray. 1large bottle of blue mouthwash, 3 cups Epsom Salts, 3 cans beer. Mix well pour into spray bottle. Spray everywhere

Which are the best mosquito repellent wristbands in the market?

By Maddie from Warner Robins, GA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have not seen any good comments about them as a whole. I have a misquito plant, get them every year. Carry a sprig of that, rub it on you rather than sprays, citronella oil is what it is. You have to get the citronella plant, not just any scented 'mosquito plant."

Please give me a recipe. I am looking for a natural recipe for a mosquito coil.

By Keith from Philippines

To make mosquito repellent mix 3 cups rubbing alcohol, 1 1/2 cups red cedar wood shavings, and 1/2 cup eucalyptus leaves. Cover and let the mixture stand 5 days. Strain the liquid and store tightly sealed and labeled. Yields 2 cups. Put this mixture in a spray bottle to use.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Answers:

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

For about 6 years we have used a product called "mosquito barrier" found at this website: http://www.mosquitobarrier.com.

It works great and is organic, mainly garlic. The yard will smell like an Italian restaurant for a day, but it keeps the mosquitoes away. (09/03/2010)

By Allison5

I would like to know how to make a repellent for mosquitoes.

By Nicole from Cagayan da Oro, Philipines

Answers:

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I've never tried to make one, but the one we use is http://www.mosquitobarrier.com.

I know it is mainly garlic, but don't know if just putting garlic out there would work. And, yes, it does smell for a day, but then subsides and it really works. (08/05/2010)

By Allison5

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I read here at ThriftyFun just lately a couple of people recommending a small drop of Lavender essential oil on each of your pulse points or even using Lavender body spray and you can buy the essential oil at you local health food store and the body spray at just about any local pharmacy or grocery store. I just gave it a try this past week (lavender body spray) and it greatly helped me! They come close but they aren't landing on me now ;-) (08/06/2010)

By Deeli

I have a huge mosquito problem. Is there a home remedy for this?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Answers:

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I buy a product that is about 99 percent garlic and it does work, smells like an Italian restaurant for one day, but then keeps them away for a few weeks. You could try your own mixture or check this out: mosquitobarrier.com (06/25/2010)

By Allison5

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I am one of those people who can get bitten just walking to the car. I find that the Off brand refillable fan works really well. In fact, I keep an extra one in the car in case we are at someone's house and want to tour their garden. Also, a scented geranium outdoors is beautiful, has small lavender flowers, smells like a mixture of tangerine and grapefruit and repels mosquitoes. When the leaves start to turns brown, I collect them in a pretty container and keep them near my bed to ward off mosquitoes that might have gotten into the house. (06/25/2010)

By Goldie2

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I have a friend who recently visited Africa and used essential oils. I just tried them myself. I am in Florida and just went for a walk. I used 3 drops of peppermint oil and 2 drops of lemongrass oil with a base oil (2 tablespoons) such as coconut or almond oil. I slathered that on and went for a walk. No bites and I smell great! When I arrived yesterday I was bitten 3 times while unloading my car. I was armed today! (07/12/2010)

By terppam1

How do I make a lemon grass mosquito repellent?

By May from Laguna, Philippines

Answers:

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I am going to use amber colored Listerine this year as a mosquito repellent. I think Listerine is great, and I use it as a hand sanitizer, an air freshener, and a surface cleaner and also to clean the toilet, because that is what it was made to do originally. Just a note that it works as a mosquito repellent too.

I have info on the lemon flea repellent for dogs and cats if you would be interested. I am sure it would work in the same way, although, I might get a grapefruit and do it with that to get more out of each batch.

You cut up a lemon and boil it for a few minutes. Then you let it sit covered for a few days and then put it in a spray bottle. I am sure this would repel mosquitoes also. Blessings. (02/13/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

The best repellent is body odor. The worse the BO, the better the repellent. That's what I hear anyhow, and I don't get bit, but I also never shower. LOL, j/k. (04/18/2010)

By Smoody

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Skin-so-soft, the original bath oil, as mosquito repellent. I seem to recall, in the 80s, that it called for 1 part skin-so-soft, to 2 parts of water. You put it in a spray bottle, then shake it before applying it. (06/07/2010)

By maus

Has anyone tried the mosquito repellent you wear around your waist? The mosquitoes here are terrible and I'm tempted. It's a small unit they're selling for $8.99 at the grocery store with a replaceable repellent. I'm skeptical about whether it would keep mosquitoes from biting your ankles! Let me know if you have experience with it.

By straightace from MD

Answers:

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

We use Bounce dryer sheets. Place one sticking out of your pockets and one out the back of your collar or top of socks, it seems to work great for us! (06/16/2009)

By Chuck J

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

I did just read a report that they were a waste of money. We were told about the use of regular Listerine, keep some in a small sprayer, and spray on hems of clothing, also on wrists, ankles, etc. So far it has proved better than any of the spray chemicals, and we are not even going to try the expensive "new" stuff. (06/17/2009)

By LJF

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

We use the patch "Don't Bite Me". They can be ordered from dontbitemepatch.com. My husband wears it every time he gardens. It is good for a long time. He only changes it every few days. No smell, no mess. Hope this helps. (06/17/2009)

By ritaannette

RE: Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

Yes, I have tried it and it really works. I walk at our state park in the evenings and the mosquitoes there are thick. I've been wearing one for about 2 weeks and have not had a single bite and they usually love me more than anyone else around. Go for it, its worth it. (06/23/2009)

By skb123

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

I would use amber colored Listerine first, and it is also a great antibacterial spray and surface cleaner, as you can see I am a great fan of Listerine for its many uses. Mosquitoes seem to hate it. I would not believe that the mosquitoes around here would even think twice about a wrist band. They are kind of voracious!

Blessings, Robyn (04/15/2010)

By Robyn Fed

How can I make homemade mosquito repellent?

Does anyone know of a good mosquito repellent? I like homemade ones, I have tried all kinds and used citronella candles.

I am trying to find the mixture for a homemade mosquito spray that my neighbor used on us when we were younger.

Recipe to keep away mosquitoes? Maybe plants or some kind of home remedy? Thanks for any information.

I would like to know what type of plants I can grow that will stop the mosquitoes and also if some one has a recipe that works on them.

Does anyone have any mosquito repellant recipes or ideas?