My Frugal Life: The Itty Bitty RV Adventure

The allure of discovery, of the adventure, is human -- for we are adventurous people. We all share this earth together, and it is a very exciting place. My Frugal LifeAdventure, or discovery, adds a new dimension to our lives. It gives us a purpose.

So, when we (John and Eileen) kept a picture of a 34 foot RV on our refrigerator (you know, what you plan or dream, visualize it) little did we know how our dream of adventure would become reality!

We took a key glued onto a brochure to Mc Mahon's RV Center for our "freebie", a new RV. Not only did we not win it, but in less than 3 hours, we had purchased our "IttyBittyRV "; a 20' Pleasure-Way Van Conversion Class B. It was manufactured and delivered in just 3 weeks from the Pleasure-Way factory in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada!

Thus began our adventurous journey in our HOME on wheels. This was freedom of less; simplified, frugal, green living, all perfectly and pleasurably packaged! An office, king bed/lounge, galley, head w/shower and seating for 6! And, our adventure provided even more - dry docking anywhere, while minimizing our eco-footprint.

What couldn't possibly be used or stored in a 20 foot vehicle, (equivalent to 100 square feet or less) went to storage. We stored only that which we would use within 6 months, such as seasonal clothing, photos, important papers, etc. We sold or gave away all the rest. And, still, even in the ensuing 2 years of full-timing, we discovered still more that we would not use, need or want.

The amazing thing, we discovered, was that we had freedom from the all-consuming drive to accumulate the "wants". Being frugal is not deprivation but freedom from all the stuff! Our simplified, frugal, eco footprint was not only desired, but achievable.

During this adventure, we are discovering the ultimate enrichment of new friendships and opportunities. We encourage others to begin the adventure of less; of simplified, frugal, green living.

Eileen from Garden Grove, CA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Oh, Wow! Could not have said it better myself. Full-time rv'ing is freedom. We have been full-time for 5 years. Best decision we ever made. Like you, I love the freedom from 'things'.

I think the same is true of living on a BOAT! We weekend on ours & think of what it would be to retire on one.

I too enjoy living full time in my Pleasure Way. Your devoted husband.

We full timed for three years in a 26 ft Diplomat. We sold our land and most of our things and just took off. My Husband worked along the way so it was not all fun and games. The first thing I learned was how to simply my wardrobe and get it down to just what would fit in the RV closet. I simplified my pots and pans too. Even now in a full sized home, I have cut way down on the appliance I have and gadgets in the kitchen. I have just what I love or need around me. I learned to live simple.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJune 30, 2008
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget, Red tool box full of tools.
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🎄