Changing Bulbs Saves Money on Electricity

Lower your electric bill by replacing as many standard incandescent light bulbs as possible with compact fluorescent bulbs. Don't wait for the standard bulbs to blow out. Save the incandescent bulbs in a box somewhere so that if you need one short term, you don't have to go out and buy one. It's especially important to use the fluorescents in locations that will be left on all night, like outside.

I replaced thirty bulbs at one time at cost of just under $100. That was over 18 months ago. Since that time my electricity bill was lowered an average of $40 per month, and I have only had to replace one light bulb. That one was an incandescent, and I already had the replacement on hand.

By Charlie from San Antonio, TX

Yes, I have to agree aren't the fluorescents great. My husband and I purchased a lot of them and have them installed all through our house, in the basement and out in our garage.

Now we have decided to sell our house and move into an apartment and no longer want to deal with repairs, snow removel and lawn maintenance. We're getting older and we don't want to shorten our lives by killing ourselves having to deal with this house.

At least the new owners will benefit with the new energy saving light bulbs.

How long do you leave a fluorescent light on before you decided to turn it off - for instance - you go into a room for 2 mins., then you leave the room intending to go back in 4 hours later.

We recently heard on the news that the flourescent bulbs have mercury in them and you have to be very careful and thorough about the clean-up. As clumsy as I am, I immediately decided not to ever buy them unless no other options were available to me. Thinking about exposure to mercury makes me hope most people won't take the risk.

Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Buying and Using Compact Fluorescent Bulbs
Better Living Frugal Living TipsMarch 19, 2008
A hand holding an incandescent bulb.
Using Incandescent Bulbs
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Fall crocus bulbs.
Growing Bulbs in Every Season
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
🎉
🎄