Cleaning Black Stove Grates and Burner Caps That Are Discolored

My GE black grates/caps are not caked with food, but seem to be graying/discolored. Are they beyond help or will the oven cleaner idea do the trick on this type of thing also? Other tips? Thanks so much!

By Michelle from Hermosa, CA

Don't know if it would help but have you tried washing them in the dishwasher.? That's what I do with mine.

April 3, 2013 Flag

My housekeeper put the gas stove burner grates in the dishwasher and the black finish was stripped. Is there anyway to get the proper shine/color back (some sort of treatment)? They look all rusted and dull. Or must they be replaced?

By Ellen O

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't blame your housekeeper. The dishwasher should not have done that, and many stove instruction booklets recommend running them through the dishwasher to clean - so she was acting properly. Mine go thru my dishwasher weekly and are fine. I also paint mine with black stove paint about once a year. It has to be stove paint (made for wood burning stoves) as it is a special paint made to resist heat.

Gas Stove Grates
Cleaning Stove Grates
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesDecember 9, 2010
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Stove Burner
Removing Melted Plastic from a Stove Burner