SeedsGardening

Hummingbird Vine Pod

Hummingbird Vine Pod

Q: On some of the flowers on my hummingbird vine there is a long green pod. Is this a seedpod? Annette

A: Annette,

Yes, the long green pods hanging from your Hummingbird Vine are seedpods. Each pod can contain many thin seeds, although the amount of seeds is directly related to how often hummingbirds feed from your vine. More visits equals more seeds. If you want to save your seeds, let the pods dry out and collect them in the fall. Store the container outdoors where the seeds will freeze or "winterize" them by placing the container in your freezer. After the seeds freeze, you should be able to germinate them successfully in almost any type of soil. Small vines can also be transplanted very easily.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

How do you germinate the seeds?

I've planted some HV seeds in South Flordia from plants grown in South Carolina. Does anyone know how they will do? Also, it's September 18th and after reading about them it looks as though this is when they start "calling it quits." Mine are just sprouting but I would like to know how long I can expect a season out of them.

Thanks,

Jose Martinez

Ps. I planted them on September 11th

Last year, all of a sudden I saw a few of these plants and just fell in love with them. I am so glad to hear about the germination. Do they sell seeds?

Does anyone know about pruning hummingbird vines. I planted one last year and it appears that most of what is there now is dead wood. Should I leave it or cut it back to the ground?

Do you have to cut the hummingbird vine back to the ground each year?