Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Best Dog Food for Weight Loss

What is the best dog food for weight loss? Our vet did not recommend what kind to buy. Anyone have success with a certain kind?
Thanks.
Audrie

By Audrie12 from PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By HC02/14/2010

The best dog food I have ever encountered is by a company called Blue Buffalo it is holistic food and is sold by Petsmart. They also have not for felines. The quality is so incredible that you will see the difference in your dogs fur, shininess of eyes it is just incredible stuff.

By vicki hood [4]01/12/2010

Raw diet is best. Absolutely no corn wheat or soy. No grocery store, WalMart commercial garbage. Check how your big dog food companies get their ingredients, including scrapings from chicken excrement, euthanized shelter animals and the like. When you feed right, they are satisfied and eat less. Their food may cost a little more per pound but you save in the long run on vet bills. One meal of theirs that is the most healthy is half cooked kale with a little coconut oil. Think they won't like it? sprinkle half teaspoon of Parmesan. I have yet to see a dog that doesn't love it. It is one of the healthiest foods you could possibly feed. Check eye health because of kale and lutein. A spoon of nonfat or low fat yogurt with good offellusses in it is also excellent. Nzymes.com for granules to help with skin and organs. Avoid vaccines. Keep them flea free. Love and cuddles are very rewarding. You have a best friend.

By Carolyn McGarraugh01/12/2010

A good quality natural food is best. Read the ingredients list. Is there corn or soy in your food? There shouldn't be. Depending on where you live it might be hard to find and pricey but I like Nature's Variety brand foods. They have several to choose from.

By Mamie [1]01/12/2010

I have used Beneful Healthy weight, what I noticed was they just eat more of it. So like us portion control is important. My vet says 2 cups of dry food a day. Plus walks. Oh don't buy Iams they harm animals with their testing

By Lisa Austin [20]01/12/2010

My vet also said to keep my chubby Cookie on the same food but cut back. He would never eat any kind of reduced food so this has worked for us.

By Cricket [201]01/12/2010

No one dog food is best for all dogs. You just have to experiment and see what works best for your dog. Just make sure that what ever you buy, it says it's for weight loss.

By LizO01/10/2010

I did what my vet recommended, less of his normal food. He's a lab and I was feeding him 3 cups a day, he recommended 2 1/2 cups and he's back to normal weight.

Don't forget exercise too.

Oh and for cat lovers with chubby felines, never do as drastic a cutback on food. Always check with your vet but my vet said to cut back 10% at first, have him weighed after about three weeks and then reduce another 10% if needed. Cat's bodies don't accept higher reductions in calorie intake very well unless it's prescribed by your vet.

By delta01/10/2010

Trick my scottie breeder taught me and it works!

Use your old food, but cut the amount way back. For my scotties who run about 20 lbs it means getting 1/4 cup of their kibble food (we like Solid Gold), TWICE a day, with about a teaspoon of canned food on top. This satisfies their hunger and if you have a particularily piggy little dog, you can add about 1/2 can of rinsed green beans to kibble. Really fills them up.

So they only need 1/4 cup (and measure) for about every 20 lbs of weight, and this is fed twice a day.

For snacks they get raw carrots, right out of the bag, with 3 scotties we go thru about a 5 lb bag a week, but at $3, its cheaper than dog biscuits/treats and better for them. It fills them up.

Trick is to get the dog to accept veggies more. Now I have to confess I do feed them from the table but they only get a smidge of veggie, no fat, meat, etc.

We tried the old reduced calorie doggy diet foods and the dogs never lost the weight and they got dull coats, and acted hungry all the time. Then my breeder gave me above info and it works like a charm.

Increase dog's exercise, a quick morning walk and a quick paced evening one. Make it lots of fun to poke around and see the neighborhood. Weight will start to slowly reduce, and does not seem to affect the dogs at all.

I would never waste my money on diet dog foods or foods marked for reducing. Use a good quality kibble for adult dogs, but use less of it and suppliment with veggies. Skip the treats and tables scraps and get more veggies in too. This works.