Advice for Someone Diagnosed With Silent GERD (Reflux)

I was diagnosed with silent-GERD and vocal cord nodules by my ENT doc. The gerd has caused acid burns around the vocal cords. He gave me a medication to control the reflux and to heal the burn, but it will take 2 months to work. If you have silent GERD how do you know when the reflux meds have or are working? Any insight would be appreciated.

By Paul from Palm Springs, CA

This website, About should give you more information than you ever want to know. This site says there is no cure for gerd and that it requires lifelong treatment. My husband, son, sister, almost everyone I know who is 60 or older has it. My husband has been treated for it for over 20 years.

Here are a few tips that might help. If you can help it, don't bend from the waiste, stoop instead. Losing weight often helps the symptoms. Tomatoes and tomato products can make symptoms worse. Some say Aloe Vera juice helps the throat when you have silent gerd. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Don't wear anything tight around your waist. It is good to prop up your head at night, but those wedges aren't good enough because they cause your body to bend in the wrong place. When you sleep, you should prop up in such a way that you are bending from the hips. I don't know a thing about a book called "The Maker's Diet" but I do know that on the web, many people with gerd say they followed what the book said to eat and no longer have a problem with gerd.

If you go to different blogs where they are discussing gerd, you can get more tips.

I guess it is pretty common for people to have gerd. I was diagnosed with it a couple years ago but had no heartburn. All at once, I was having a hard time swallowing my food. I was put on meds and now have no problem swallowing. What I DO have a problem with is phlegm in my throat. Sometimes, I can hardly talk. it is so bad. They tell me it is a symptom of gerd and I may have to learn to live with it.

A natural remedy for GERD is apple cider vinegar, especially if you use a brand called Braggs, which you can find in most stores along with the regular vinegar. Here is a website that explains how Apple Cider Vinegar works in healing GERD, and also gives you recipes for drinking the vinegar:

Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 17, 2010
Acid Reflux
Remedies for Acid Reflux
Master gardener in a greenhouse.
Get Gardening Advice From a Master Gardener
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Diabetic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Homemade Dog Food
Homemade Food for Dog with Kidney Disease