Growing Sunflowers from Seedlings

I'm trying to grow sunflower from seeds using cut plastic bottles and paper egg tray. These are the seedlings after 1 week. FYI, the seed package was written "Sunburst Mixed" and can grow as tall as 180 cm. Actually, I was looking for the kind that can grow about 3 feet height or less but couldn't find them. My questions are, why are they "bending" like that? Is it normal? What can I do to make them straight? Although some of them grow straight and are not bending like that. Should I move them to pots? I can't plant them out yet because they are so tiny, weak and will be destroyed by rain or wind. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks before.

Hardiness Zone: 11

Susan from Surabaya, Indonesia

From looking at the picture I would say that they are reaching for the sun. Do you have them in direct sunlight? As their name indicates they love the sun. Any plant that is spindly like the sunflowers in your picture need direct sunlight.. You may want to start over because the thin stems will not hold up a healthy plant.

First of all it looks like you don't have any drainage holes in your "pots" and they are water logged and very sun deprived. They should be short, sturdy, and dark green. They need dryer soil and much much more light. I think you need to chuck these and start over.

They do need direct sunlight. When starting plants indoors like that, it's helpful to put a "grow" light right over them so they don't have to stretch so far to find sunlight.

Growing Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers
Home and Garden Gardening PlantingMarch 19, 2008
Ants Eating Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers in Containers
Growing Sunflowers in Containers
Starting Seedlings
Starting Seedlings
A woman transplanting a sunflower.
Transplanting Sunflowers