Transplanting Sunflowers

Category Transplanting
Whether you are transplanting seedlings or a plant from the nursery, sunflowers are easy to transplant. This is a guide about transplanting sunflowers.

I want to replant a few sunflowers. Where do I start cutting? Do I stick the flower in the ground or pot first? Do I water everyday or once a week?

By Tinagf from Palmetto, FL

Answers

Transplanting Sunflowers

Does the bright face of a golden sunflower cheer you up? Did you plant hundreds of the sunflowers seeds, so you could be continuously cheery, but realize that now you need to thin them out? Or maybe some just popped up in the wrong location. Never fear, you can move your beloved sunflower to an appropriate place safely, and enjoy its beauty for the rest of the season.

There are over sixty varieties of sunflowers. Each one has specific needs for growth and care, but the basics are all about the same. You've planted the seeds, whether indoors or out, and now need to transplant or thin them out in the garden. The process will take a little time, but should result in undamaged sprouts or flowers in the end.

When Transplanting Seedlings
Seedlings are very delicate until several weeks when the stem grows thicker and develops in to a stalk. When you are moving them from a germination flat from indoors to outdoors, you will need some special care. Pick a location that receives full sun or only partial shade for the best results. Do not plant outdoors until all danger of frost is gone, as the cold will freeze the tender stems and they will die and not regrow.

Begin by digging small holes where you would like your seedlings to go. Make sure they are adequately spaced so the roots will have plenty of room to grow. You don't want to have to re-transplant them again in another month by spacing them to close together. Dig a hole about two or three inches in to the ground. Work the soil so it is loose and the roots can take hold and latch on, on the sides and bottom of the hole.

Position the sunflower in the center of the hole and cover with soil. Pat gently so the soil is firm and will keep sunflower in place. Water the area to give the roots extra help in growing and repairing themselves from the transplant.

If your seedlings are small and don't stand up on their own, you might want to use a stake. You can buy metal or wood ones and prop next to the seedling or tie it with some string. Popsicle sticks and wooden stakes cut down to the size of the seedling work best. The stakes will also protect against heavy rain and high wind damage.

And like all young sprouts, they will attract wildlife. Rabbits especially like to eat the tender green stems of sunflowers. Its not uncommon to have a beautiful row or two of sprouts emerge, grow to six inches tall, and then be completely mowed down overnight by a hungry rabbit or deer. A fence made of wire or mesh might keep them out, at least until the seedlings can grow tall enough where the rabbits lose interest. A fence would need to be at least eight feet tall to keep deer out, and then it isn't even a guarantee. Human or animal hair placed near the seedlings may also repel their interests.good luck.

I don't understand your question, "where do I cut?". I'm in central FL on the east coast and am currently growing sunflowers, too. I'd be happy to help you, if I can. I'm guessing yours are in the ground and you want to move them? How old are they? I planted mine from seeds in pots, then transplanted them at 4wks from pots to the ground. They are 7wks old now and getting bigger by the minute. Feel free to contact me.

Hello there. First time planting sunflowers. Mistakenly I planted all the seeds in one single large pot. I'm wondering if I can transplant some of the to other pots? They are happy and healthy on my balcony along with my herbs and plants. I also believe that the roots will be all tangled together. Just afraid of hurting them if I do need to transplant them to give more space between them. Thank you much.

I would like to relocate some older (about 1/2 grown) sunflowers. How can I do it without killing the flower? Thanks for any help or advice.

By Joe S.

I want to move my sunflower plants from one area to another. Can I do this without killing them? If so, how do you recommend I do this?

By Kathy W.