How to Make Confectioners (Powdered) Sugar

You don't need to run to the store to buy powdered sugar for the recipe you are making; make your own. This is a guide about how to make confectioners (powdered) sugar.

A sugar mill making powdered sugar.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I make my own powdered (confectioner's) sugar. I whirl it in small amounts (1/2 cup or less) for a few seconds, maybe a minute, in the blender or food processor. I think it's cheaper than buying it. Since I always have sugar, I don't have an "extra box" sitting around, either.

By thriftyvicki from Dallas, TX

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are out of powdered sugar, put regular sugar in the blender and process on high until it turns powdery. Be sure to stir up the sugar on the bottom a couple of times so it all turns out to be the same consistency.

After baking for Easter, I discovered I ran out of powdered sugar for the icing. After having a nervous breakdown, I remembered my mom, Wanda Colerick would make her own. I thought I would share with all of you!

Approximate Time: 10 seconds

Yield: 1 cup

• 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Corn Starch

Directions:

• Using a blender, blend until powdery like powdered sugar!
  • Source: Mom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you measure homemade powdered sugar? That is, when you grind up one cup of granulated sugar does it equal one cup of powdered sugar?

By Carole from Surprise, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wow. Did I learn a lot today! I was trying to save money by making my own powdered sugar and what I learned is that it's more money, and here's why! I learned this after I just went out and bought 6 bags on sale! The reason is because a 4 pound bag of granulated sugar would yield 10 cups of powdered, figuring your yield will be approx 25% more after blending, and a 2 pound bag of powdered sugar has 7.5 cups.

Let's take Aldi, for example. A 2 lb. bag of powdered goes for $1.29 which makes each cup worth slightly over 17¢. A 4 lb. bag of granulated goes for $2.49, which makes each cup worth just slightly under 25¢. Plus, the added cost of corn starch, electricity, and blade wearing on your blender. So, you're paying 33% less for the ready made. I never knew, and now I'm stuck with 6 bags of granulated, but at least it was on sale on the cheap for $1.69. Me and my crazy knack for figuring! Mad, at myself! Hehe!

But this is great to know in case you're in a pinch and the store is closed or you simply don't want to go to the store for one ingredient! The pic is some of the cuppycakes I make with my homemade buttercream frosting with powdered sugar!

Read More Answers...

What is 10x sugar? Super fine?

By sooz

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That usually refers to powdered sugar (confectioners sugar). There may be a difference between superfine and 10x, but I have never seen 'superfine' on a bag of sugar, only read it in recipes.

Best of luck to you in your cooking!

How can I make powdered sugar for commercial purposes? What anti-caking agent can I use? I would also like to preserve the powdered sugar for up to 2 years. Any suggestions?

By Ekas from Lagos, Nigeria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can you explain in more detail what you mean for commercial use? I am fairly sure you can find out about making powdered sugar by doing an online search. I do know that powdered sugar is simply granulated sugar very finely sifted. Also, what do you mean by no caking agent? As for preserving it for up to two years it needs to be kept in sealed containers of some sort and completely kept away from moisture.

To save some money during the holidays; Bubba's Quick Confectioners Sugar mixture!

• 1 cup regular table sugar
    • 2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Directions:

Pour sugar and cornstarch in to food processor, food chopper or blender. Turn on high until mixture is a fine powder.

Note: If your recipe calls for more than a cup, make some more!

Source: My Kitchen (and billfold!)

By johnluse from Columbus, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Superfine or 10X sugar (also known as Ultrafine, bakers, castor or bar sugar) is regular sugar that has been ground into a fine powder. It will dissolve easily into beverages and baking mixes. This differs from powdered sugar (or confectioner's sugar) because of the addition of cornstarch to prevent the powdered sugar from caking and powdered sugar is even finer. If you have no powdered sugar, you can put some granulated (regular) sugar in a blender with a pinch of cornstarch and process it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ingredients

• 1 cup granulated sugar

Directions

Blend 1 cup of granulated sugar in blender until desired powder is produced. Easy and much less expensive than store bought powdered sugar!

By Karen from NH

Answers:

Homemade Powdered Sugar

i'v tried this a few times. Yes, it does work but it has a funny taste to it every time. (06/16/2006)

By annspam

Homemade Powdered Sugar

First, yes boxed has corn starch in it to keep it loose not clumpy. It is also called icing sugar in some places. Maybe that will help the German cook. But you can process it, it just takes forever and if you blender isn't strong enough will burn it out. Also I have never had luck getting it fine enough for frosting but I am trying again as my children cannot tolerate corn products. (09/18/2006)

By Melanie

Homemade Powdered Sugar

That was so easy! I will never buy powdered sugar again. Thank You (03/07/2007)

By Terri

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thank you all for the information. Could not believe how easy it was to make this inexpensive powdered sugar. (09/21/2007)

By Antoinette

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Very cute. However, powdered or confectioner's sugar has 3% cornstarch in it. It's not just table sugar in a very fine powdered form. Therefore, it has a different consistency and is used differently. (12/10/2007)

By Tracey

Homemade Powdered Sugar

My son is allergic to corn and I have to make powdered sugar for recipes as all commercial brands have cornstarch.
    I've found that a coffee grinder works very well. You have to make small batches and can't use one that has been used for coffee unless you want coffee flavored powdered sugar. (12/11/2007)

By Leanne

Homemade confectioner's sugar

G-ma said the same thing a lil cornstarch and a tad bit flour. and wallah or however its spelled. Have fun. (12/27/2007)

By T-mony German decendant

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thanks. You saved the day! (01/13/2008)

By C Silvia

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thanks for the hint. It is Easter morning and the nearest grocery store is 20 miles away and I didn't have enough powdered sugar. You saved my Easter cake. (03/23/2008)

By robinw

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thanks so much, it saved my cookies! (05/08/2008)

By stephanie

Homemade Powdered Sugar

I tried that advised and it worked, thanks so much =] (06/26/2008)

By Olivia

Homemade Powdered Sugar

This worked so well but don't use a blender, use a coffee grinder (12/06/2008)

By suzzy

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thank you! It's Christmas morning and I am making cinnamon rolls and I forgot powdered sugar for the frosting. (12/25/2008)

By Sheila

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Powdered sugar can be made from regular sugar in a conventional blender. This way you don't have to buy two types of sugar or make a special trip to the store!

By Diane from Chicago

Answers:

Make Powdered Sugar from Granulated Sugar

Commercial powdered sugar contains cornstarch; you may not get the same results in your recipes by "powdering" granulated sugar yourself without adding cornstarch to it. (11/12/2008)

By Guest

I never bothered to measure, I just did about a cup at a time and used what I needed for the recipe. I didn't realize there was corn starch in powdered sugar! I checked it out and you should add 2 tbsp to 1 cup of sugar.

Diane from Chicago (11/12/2008)

By bebhinne

Mix one cup of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of corn starch. Put them in the blender, cover and blend on the highest speed until it looks like confectioners sugar. It's really that simple. (11/15/2008)

By bebhinne

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I want to learn how to make confectioners sugar.

Brenda

Answers:

I just put regular sugar in the blender. (01/08/2009)

It seems to have the same consistency to me. I use a vitamix so that might make the difference. (01/08/2009)

By Thursday_Next

Put regular sugar in a coffee grinder and whirl away. I have an extra grinder for pulverizing things that are not coffee. Or just wipe out the coffee in your grinder before you make the powdered sugar. For chocolate frosting, the coffee residue could enhance the flavor. (01/08/2009)

By pigeon toes

Just use granulated sugar and grind it. I use it for black powder and it works fine, don' know if it works for frosting but you can try if you want to. (02/19/2009)

By fossildog

I have made powdered sugar this way many times, As my husband and many friends are diabetics, I use Splenda instead of sugar, wonderful results. (10/08/2009)

By knsabear

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingAugust 20, 2012
    Ground Cinnamon
    Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
    Making Diabetic Powdered Sugar (Sugar Free)
    Storing Sugar
    Storing Sugar
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 1:08:05 AM on 10.0.2.131 in 811 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.