Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets

This page is great place to look for the value of old encyclopedias. Look below for feedback shared about the value of various encyclopedia sets. If you don't see your set listing, feel free to post a question.

Stack of very old encyclopedias.
Filter Sort

Tip: Selling Old Encyclopedias

By carol 27 50

For over a year I have tried selling an encyclopedia set that is in pristine condition on Craigslist. I have even seen ads where people are giving away their encyclopedias for FREE. Due to the internet there is nothing that you can't find that isn't in the encyclopedia except the photos. However, they like other books, seem to be a thing of the past. It really is a shame.

Unfortunately I have to downsize and one of the things I have to part with are my books, so the encyclopedias seem to be hanging around without any responses to purchase them. I will probably end up donating them if I can find someone who wants them. I guess the only value of encyclopedia is the sentimental value one has for them. I myself think it is a beautiful sight to see books lining a bookshelf.

By Carol from Beverly, MA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of The Children's Encyclopedia by Arthur Mee

By Jolda R. 1

I have the set of Arthur Mee children's encyclopedias volume 1-10 in perfect condition. They were printed, while he was still alive, in Great Britain by The Amalgamated Press, Ltd London. They are all original and in fantastic condition. I would like to know what they are worth.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them. EBay has Mee sets for $25-$50.00.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Determining the Value of a Vintage Set of Encyclopedias

I have a set of 1961 encyclopedias from " The American Educator " and I'm wondering how much they are worth.

By Nancy R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By denisec 1 Flag

I have a complete 24 set of Collier 1987 encyclopedias in excellent continue willing to donate to anyone who can use them just cover shipping cost from NJ nice condition for anyone using to make crafts, etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding the Value of an Encyclopedia Set

Are Funk-Wagnalls encyclopedias from 1959 worth anything?

By Diana

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Stacy 2 29 Flag

Maybe you can use them as a "safe" of sorts. Just hollow out a portion of the pages to make a "well" and glue the pages' edges together (but not the front cover or you won't be able to get in it!). Thieves will think it's just a book on a shelf, but you'll be able to hide whatever will fit in the cavities. Just a suggestion.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1896 New Popular Encyclopedia

By Stephen S. 1

I have a complete set of The New Popular Encyclopedia (1897), Canadian Edition, Compiled by John Ridpath, and published exclusively for the Montreal Newspaper Syndicate. After 18 years of searching, I have been unable to find another complete set of the Canadian version, which includes a supplement devoted to Canada, (lists all 6 of our Prime Ministers, lol). It is in complete condition, but has damage to covers, spines etc. It needs to be rebound. There are over 40,000 maps and illustrations. All the maps of the US states have a list of counties in that state and their population at that time.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Your set may have value if it is an original print but you need to research further to determine any value. Try auction houses, online book collectors, EBay, CraigsList, etc. Also try these sites:

http://www.book-collecting-tips.com/old-book-values.html

http://www.abebooks.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1973 World Book Encyclopedia

I have the entire set of 1973 World Book encyclopedias. What might they be worth if I were to sell them?

By Lisa V. from Lake Worth, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

They have no value at all as encyclopedia. You may find someone who can give them to for some sort of craft. Some people carve into them and make sculptures out of such books. Some people use them as lamp bases. However, no one is going to pay for them. Advertise them to give away on Kijii or freecycle or something like that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding the Value of Older Encyclopedias

By jenj 1

I have a full set of World Book Encyclopedias, copyright 1979. They are in excellent condition. How much would they sell for and where can I sell them?

I also have a full set of Young Students Encyclopedias, copyright 1977. These are showing a bit of yellowing from age, but otherwise are in good condition. How much would they sell for and where can I sell them?

By jenj

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

You can't sell them. No one wants then fir the "knowledge" that is in them. You might be able to give them to someone for arts or crafts projects. People make lamps out of them. Some sculptors carve into them. Schools do projects called "altered books". You can't donate them to charities like Salvation Army either.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Set of 1865 Encyclopedias

By allpurple 1

Any value to a set of 1865 Encyclopedias (Cyclopedias)? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Your set may have value depending on condition and if original print. Some seemingly old sets were reprinted in later years. You can search on EBay, CraigsList, old book collectors, auction houses and on this site to start:

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Chambers Encyclopedia 1973

I have a set of 15 Chambers encyclopedias from 1973 in very good condition. I was wondering if these are worth anything?

By Derren D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

No. Old encyclopedia are not worth anything. It is difficult to give them away. Sometimes people use them for crafts, such as paper carving or for lamps. Advertise on something like freecycle to see if someone will take them off your hands. No charity will take them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 1920's Edition of The Book of Knowledge

By Diane M. 1

Cover of volume.I have a 20 volume set of The Book of Knowledge. (Arthur Mee Editor-In-Chief). Inside it states Copyright, 1926,1927, The Grolier Society, Copyright 1923,1924,1925,1926,1927 by The Amalgamated Press (1922) Limited.
        The books are hardcover, green cloth with gold imprint. The books are in excellent condition with minimal damage inside the back cover of book 1 only. Title page.

What would it be worth to a collector today?

By Diane M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By M halcomb 1 Flag

I have this exact set in good condition. Can you tell me where and for how much you sold yours? Thank you

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Old Encyclopedias

By idi_idi 1

We found in prime condition some Encyclopedia Britannica, volume 3 1768, publisher William Benton. The only problem is there is not a complete set. These are beautiful books; they look like they have never been used. How much would these books be worth, considering they are not a full set?

By Dianna L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By mrmima 1 22 Flag

Hey Dianna, do you still have the books? mail me at mrmima AT yahoo.de please.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Determining the Value of an Encyclopedia Set

By atteberrymom1 1

I have a full set of encyclopedias from 1966 and plus the child crafting books that they also came with. Who do I need to talk to about to determine how much they are worth now?

By Sarah

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Most schools, libraries and thrift shops won't take them as donations. See if you can find someone who will use them for some sort of craft.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Determining the Value of Encyclopedias

By Claudia Anderson 1

I have a set of New Standard Encyclopedia, 1981, and The Science Library that is in mint condition. Can anyone tell me how to find out if they have any value?

By Claudia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

The pictures in them might be useful for kids school projects but I doubt anyone will pay anything for them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Vintage Chamber's Encyclopedias

Chamber's encyclopedias on the floor.How much are my Chamber's encyclopaedias worth? They were reprinted in 1969. They are white with dust covers and in mint condition.

By Chris

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

People occasionally use them for crafts and art projects. I don't think anyone would pay for them, though. I wouldn't. 1969 isn't vintage or anything.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Determining the Value of a Partial Set of 1865 American Encyclopedias

What would be the value of 5 encyclopedias from 1865? They are in pretty good shape with the exception of one which lost some of the outer binding. The pages inside and binding are very good. I believe they are called "The American Encyclopedia." I've had books from that era that were literally falling apart, unreadable, and unopenable basically, but these are not like that.

By M Korn

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By frenchgirl 1 Flag

Hello, If you still have this set, I would be interested in making an offer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Selling Vintage Encyclopedia Sets

I have 2 sets of encyclopedias and I'm trying to find out how much they are worth. One is a Funk and Wagnalls' Universal Standard. It is a 25 volume set from 1954-55 the second one is a 12 volume Popular Mechanics do it yourself, 1st edition, from 1955. I am looking to get rid of them, but I don't want to cheat myself or anyone else. Thanks.

By B Sheftic

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine S. 39 243 Flag

I had some 1932 encyclopedias that my mother used to teach with and when I tried to sell them in the 70's, I could not get anything out of them at all. It even showed the first tv in it. I hope you have better luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1914 Set of Encyclopedia Americana

By cheyneshine 1

I have a complete set of the Encyclopedia Americana; published in 1914. Is it worth anything?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By joan 7 141 Flag

Value is based on how many complete sets are still around and condition. Probably little to no value. I used to work for an historical library and we got calls about these and old bibles all the time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1977 World Book Encyclopedia Set

What is the value of complete set of 1977 World Book Encyclopedias?

By Tammy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

It is not worth the shipping to send it to someone. Libraries won't take them anymore. Sometimes papercrafters use the pictures for crafts. See if you know anyone who does this.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of American Educator's Encyclopedia

By Eleanor B. 1

cover pageI have a old set of American Educator Encyclopedias.
          How much are they worth?

By Eleanor B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Some of these can be worth quite a bit of money, depending on several factors. First, condition. Second, when it was printed. Third, how many were made, and so forth.

One way to check is to go to ebay. Find a set that is exactly like yours. See how much it sold for (not just how much they listed it for.) That will give you a general idea.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Encyclopedia Set

What is the value of 1950's Funk and Wagnall's encyclopedia set?

By Sandra S.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I would say that a set from the 50's has no value. You will be lucky to give it away. Some people make sculptures; some make lamps out of this type of book. It is not old enough to be collectible or an antique. The information is outdated. See if you can find someone who you can give it to for craft projects.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1954 World Family Encyclopedia

I have a full set in excellent condition. It is a first edition. What is the value? I am looking to sell.

By Kat

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jess 132 771 Flag

I see this question asked a lot. Usually, they are worthless except for craft projects, because they are so outdated with incorrect information. You might try selling them as a set online but shipping will be probably more than the encyclopedias are worth.

Encyclopedias that are over 100 years old or have some other historical significance might be worth something. In that case, I would take it to a bookstore that specializes in old or rare books.

Good luck, let us know what the outcome is?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Old Encyclopedias

I am questioning the value of: 1939 Webster's Dictionary, good condition, 1926 Winstin's Loose-Leaf Encyclopedia, fair condition, 1948 Funk and Wagnall's new Standard Encyclopedia, good condition, and 1957 World Book Encyclopedia, good condition.

By Paula E.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Becky Hansen 3 Flag

This is strickly my opinion but, I think probably they would only be valuable to a collector or to your local library.

Becky H.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Replacing a Missing Volume from an Old Encyclopedia Set

I have any almost complete set of the Globe encyclopedia London, Edinburgh & Dublin: A. Fullarton & Co 1880. I would like to find a missing volume and find the value for the set. Any suggestions?

By Sivert

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marie Brack 131 Flag

There's Thriftyfun thread about this that came up when I Googled it: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf13085847.tip.html

Is 1880 the year your set was published?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Grolier's "The Book of Art"

I have a ten volume set collection of Grolier's "The Book of Art" 1965. They all have the original book jackets and are in great condition. What is it worth?

By Iris

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Lewissan 40 230 Flag

They have some for sale on Amazon's seller market here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list ... _olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Full sets are available from $40 to $80.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 1954 New Standard Encyclopedia

Volume on a desk.I have the 1954 New Standard Encyclopedia by Standard Education Society. I have a 10 volume set plus the yearly updates from 1954 to 1962 which are pamphlets bound in a hard cover. Is there any market for these? They are very fancy and I would say in good shape. Closeup of cover.

By Craig L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By franksoda 2 Flag

I am interested if you still have these.

Thanks

franksoda AT outlook.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 1928 Set of Times Encyclopedia and Gazetteer

I have a full set of 1928 Times Encyclopedia and Gazetteer. They are leather bound and in mint condition. How much do you think they are worth? Thanks.

By John

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Mary00 1 10 Flag

I did a quick search on ebay. There are 1935 sets NOT selling at 20 dollars. I did a search for sold sets and found non that have actually sold.I'm sorry. Maybe there is a collector that is looking for 1928 in particular. Wish you luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 1914 People's Encyclopedia Value

I have a complete set (5) of the People's Cyclopedia from 1914.

I was wondering what they may be worth?

By J L

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Good luck with your search. This set is old enough that it should have collectible value as an antique.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 1941 and 1942 Americana Encyclopedia Sets

Are these sets in excellent condition worth anything?

By A

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Old encyclopedias have little or no value. Look at the archived info about this.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of a Set of 1957 Universal Standard Encyclopedias

I have a set of 1957 Universal Standard encyclopedias and was wondering if anyone knew what their value might be?
          The set is complete and in good condition.

By Chris S.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Outdated encyclopedias have no value. You can not give them away, unless you can find someone who wants them for some sort of craft or art project. Charities will not take them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Determining the Value of a Encyclopedia Set

How much is the value of 1965 copyright World Book encyclopedia set, in good condition?

By Kristl

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

The previous poster is correct. There is almost no use for them and charities and libraries won't take them either. You may find someone you can give them to that may want them for some sort of craft project. Altered books are one type of craft/art project that people would use them for. I have also seen lamps made from books.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of a 1877 Condensed American Encyclopedia Set

I have volume 1-4 of the set in decent condition and was wondering how much they are worth.

By Laura from Portland, OR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By annelle snyder 13 14 Flag

Might there be a local historical society that could use them - donation. Rather than trash 'em. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that old ency. have little, if any, value. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of a Set of Encyclopedia Americanna

What is a set of the Encyclopedia Americanna, 1829-1956, all 30 volumes worth?

By Bryon from Lemont, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Alicia 6 137 Flag

You might want to check www.eBay.com to see if there is anything currently listed that is similar. Our maybe you would be able to find something that sold on auction under the ended items. It might give you a rough idea of the value.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of an Old Encyclopedia Set

I have a complete 30 volume set of the Encyclopedia Americana, 1954 copyright. It is in very good condition. Are they worth any money?

By Gail L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By llpensinger 15 64 Flag

Someone that is interested in that year for personal reasons, ie.....born that year....might be interested put on Craigslist for 50.00 or BO see what happens.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Old Encyclopedias

Is a 1945 set of encyclopedia Britannica worth anything? They are in pretty good condition.

By Jeanne

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frances Adams 11 554 Flag

You can search online for that particular set, or try ebay, to see if anyone is selling that same set, and see what they are asking. The only sites I have seen for antique books DO have encyclopedias, but they are from the 1800s and earlier.

I have a set of World Book encyclopedias that we made into a bedside table. I just glued them together into a tower, threw an old table cloth over, and got a free bedside table.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of a 1955 Chamber's Encyclopedia Set

By nappy 1

Volume of Chamber's encyclopedia set.I own a 1955 set of Chamber's Encyclopedias. It consists of 15 volumes and 2 volumes of Chambers Encyclopedia World Survey 1960 and 1961.

They were hand made in London, England and are bound in red leather and embossed with 24k gold.

I would like to sell them and I need to know their current market value.

By Juliette W.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

You might find someone who wants them for crafts or art projects. Try posting them as giveaways on the local Kijii or Craigslist or whathaveyou.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Claxton Encyclopedias

I have a set of Claxton encyclopedias, volume 12 to volume 20. Are they worth anything? They're in great condition.

By James

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Unless these are truly vintage, like 1850 or something like that, they are not likely worth anything.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Selling a Volume of Old Harver World Encyclopedia

One volume of a Harver World encyclopedia.I have had this book for a long time and need to know how I can sell them. Thanks.

By JoAnn B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Most schools are not interested in old encyclopedias either. In my school, we toss out the old sets. Or try to use them for crafts or something.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Determining the Value of a Vintage Encyclopedia Set

How do I determine what are my complete set of 1904 Encyclopedia Britannica are worth? They are in good condition.

By Janice B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Julia 147 1,074 Flag

You can always go to a local museum too, or an old historical home maintained by a society working to preserve the past and see if you get any help there. If you want to donate and get a tax deduction, at least, you'll have a stated value to use.

If you choose to list them on eBay for instance, just be sure to pack them, take them to the post office and have them weighed using a destination of the farthest zip code from you

as a basis for determining Media Rate postage. If they were mine and I was shipping them, I'd also insure them.

Selling them on Craig's List might be your best bet and be sure to mention "Local Pick-up Only" so you will not need the extra cost of mailing or shipping. Postage is just too expensive,

and deters many buyers.

I wish you the best of luck.

Pookarina

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By robert hamilton 1

I have a full 8 book set of Waverley encyclopedias. I don't know if they are worth any money. They are over at least 50 years old. They are still in good condition. How do I determine their value in order to sell them? What are my other options? donation? etc. Thank you for any advice.

By Robert from Scotland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cal123 2 Flag

The inquiry is about the 1959 Funk and Wagnalls set.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1966 Encyclopedia Brittanica

By joyross 1

What is the value of Encyclopedia Brittanica complete set with atlas and dictionary. It is the 1966 edition. I also have the Worldbook Encyclopedia complete set with dictionary, 1966 edition, and a set of Child Craft books.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1891 Cyclopaedia

By Michelle Y. 1

I have a set of 1891 Cyclopaedia. Any idea on how much the value is?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

You need to do some research to find an estimate on value. The physical condition of the books is extremely important in estimating a value for the set. You can try EBay and Craig's List and there are sites that provide value estimates for antique books.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of The New International Illustrated Encyclopaedia 1954

By Trudy S 4

I am wanting to find out the value of a full set volume 1-6 of the New International Illustrated Encyclopaedia 1954.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Antique Encyclopedia Sets

By gzhmmmmm 1

I have several different encyclopedia sets that has been in my family for years in very good condition. How would I find out if they have any value to them?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1946 Universal World Reference Encyclopedia

By Jfleet 1

I have a complete set of these books in perfect condition and by the looks of it they'll make great paper mache material, but not much in book value. Still I feel compelled to ask, are they worth anything? :\

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Collier's Encyclopedias

By Cheri Green S. 1

I have a full set of Collier Encyclopedias, it's a big set with hard back, black covers. Does anyone know what I can do with them, are they worth selling? I also have several Zane Grey storybooks. They are western stories. If anyone knows a collector or and info it would be nice!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of National Encyclopedia

By peaswasp 1

I have 13 volumes from a 14 volume set of National Encyclopedia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge by writers of eminence in Literature, Science, and Art. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea of value.

volume cover

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More

Archive: Finding the Value of an Encyclopedia Set

How can I find out the value of a set of dated encyclopedias?

Pamela from Brooklyn, NY

Feedback:

RE: Finding the Value of an Encyclopedia Set

I doubt that they're worth any money. People can use the internet now to find things they want to know. Maybe you can try a book store that deals in old books for an estimate. But I wouldn't get my hopes up about it.

Good luck. (12/04/2008)

By Carol in PA

I work in a thrift shop and we often have old encyclopedias donated. We can barely give them away. People sometimes buy them for 20 cents each to cut up for school projects or art. Sorry, but unless you have a rare early or first edition, I would say they are worthless.

Brenda in Oz
                    (12/04/2008)

By ilmarlai

My family owns a book business online and to find the value of most of our books we go to:
                    bookfinder.com and type in the title of the book. It will come up with how many people are selling it, and what they are selling it for. This always helps us get an estimate of what it's worth. I hope this helps.

Blessings, Abby (12/05/2008)

By simplelifebooks1

Someone had a set of encyclopedias on "Antiques Roadshow" TV show not long ago. The dealer told the person that his set of hopefuls were not worth more than what you might get for them at a yard sale. Sorry to say. (12/05/2008)

By badwater

How do I find out what an old encyclopedia set is worth if I should sell them? It is a complete set, in good condition.

By Julie from MO

Feedback:

How old is your set? Unless it's very old, has a connection to a famous person, or is a first edition it probably has minimal value. No one wants encyclopedias now since anything can be looked up online. (01/18/2010)

By OliveOyl

Donate the set to the Good Will or Salvation Army and ask for a receipt for a tax write-off. (01/18/2010)

By MCW

I agree. It it's from the last 50 years it is of no particular value. You might be able to see it at a yard sale or for decorative purposes. You might be able to make lamps out of them, or some other craft project.(01/18/2010)

By pamphyila

• Call a used book seller.
                    • Look at comparable sets on eBay.
                    Good luck. (01/18/2010)

By oldlinda

My mom had some from the 80's and hers aren't worth anything after her searching around. You could donate them to a library. I don't know if they would take them off your hands otherwise you could use them for a craft like the previous post mentioned. (01/20/2010)

By dhull83

I've seen a project where someone drilled a small circular hole down through a stack of these books, then held them in place with a pole, to make an interesting end table. I suspect directions are available somewhere online. (01/21/2010)

By ChloeA

My dad gave me an encyclopedia set years ago that belonged to his great-aunt. It is one huge volume that covers A-Z. I'm 50 and my dad would have been 75. I just wondered if this is worth anything?

How can I determine the value of a 10 volume, 1892 Chambers encyclopaedia set?

By Tracey from Penryn, CA

Feedback:

I tried giving book sets to the local library, like the hard bound Readers Digest and National Geographic. They would not take them. And they said they wouldn't take encyclopedias.The same with most of the charities, they can't sell them and they don't have room to store them. If you happen to have a rare set, maybe a college or school would take them. You might try Overlookedbook AT aol.com and see if Maryjo can help you with ideas. Good luck.
                    (07/14/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

What is the value of a Funk and Wagnalls Universal Standard Encyclopedia, 1955 Deluxe Edition? It is a full set of 25 volumes.

I have an entire set of encyclopaedias that were damaged in a house flood yesterday.

How can I find out how much is The Encyclopedia Library, 1943 ed. is worth?

Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksFebruary 20, 2012
                    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
                    Antique Glass Bowl
                    Finding the Value of an Antique Glass Bowl
                    Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
                    Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
                    Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
                    Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
                    Finding New Friends, Circle of Friends
                    Finding New Friends
                    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 8:41:08 AM on 10.0.0.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
                    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
                    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
                    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
                    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings