Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets

Category Books
This page is great place to look for the value of old encyclopedias. Look below for feedback shared about the value of various encyclopedia sets. If you don't see your set listing, feel free to post a question.

Set of encyclopedias

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Older encyclopedias are typically not worth much. On-line research for your specific set might help to determine value. This is a guide about finding the value of New Standard Encyclopedias.

book case with books

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Although vintage or newer encyclopedias generally do not have much value, an antique set may. Research would be needed to see if your set is rare, a first edition, or has other value based on age or specific content. This is a guide about value of New Popular encyclopedia 1902.

cover page and opposing page with photo

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Most Encyclopaedias are not worth much as they were mass produced and distributed. However, if you have a particularly old or rare set on Encyclopaedias, they may have some value for a collector. This is a guide about value of the New Educator Encyclopaedia 1948.

Collier's Encyclopedias

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about finding the value of Collier's encyclopedias. Some old books may be rare and have great value. Others may be more difficult to place value on, but may have other uses.

Set of Americana.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

The value of older reference books is determined by a number of factors. The profusion of encyclopedias and the lack of the currency of their information often render them very low in value. This is a guide about finding the value of the Encyclopedia Americana.

Volumes of encyclopedias.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Many homes had these reference books because they were readily available at the supermarket in the 1950s. Although dated, encyclopedias can sometimes be sold in niche markets to crafters and some collectors. This is a guide about finding the value of Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias.

Stack of encyclopedias.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Many homes have a little used set of encyclopedias on the bookshelf. This is a guide about finding the value of Chamber's encyclopedias.

Volumes in crate.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about value of Richards Topical encyclopedia. There are a few websites and businesses that may help you determine the value of old reference books.

Is this set (which is pristine, they still creak when opened) worth anything at all? They are complete and with the case. Any idea?

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are jus

I have a full set of World Wide Encyclopedia published by Books Inc. I think it was published the end of 40s. It is in good condition. How can I learn the value of this please?

Unless they are antiques they are not worth much. You could take it to a dealer, but I think you will be disappointed

I am trying to find out the value of a set of the New Book of Knowledge from 1898. It is missing one volume.

I'm not sure that your set is from 1898 if it is indeed the New Book of Knowledge as I believe the New was added when they replaced the original sets.

However, most of these sets are not as valuable when one volume/book is missing. You will probably have to see someone that sells vintage/older books to tell you anything for sure. The condition and what type of binding the books will also make a difference in value. These set are very difficult to sell and a real pain to ship so if you decide to try to sell, I would recommend trying Craigslist first.

I have an encyclopedia that says Werner Encyclopedia, but it doesn't say Britannica. It is dated 1909 and was published in Akron, Ohio. I was hoping to get some information on that encyclopedia.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Hello i sent a question last time and I have come to a conclusion with proof that I have a 1908 1910 saalfield company\werner company revised set of the 9th brittanica never published and not legally copyrighted taken to court by brittanica for copyright issues the company had to pay Appleton cyclopedia and not sell any copy's since hooper now had rights to the 9th brittanica leaving them with this one and only set.I also found that this is considered public domain now.but since this is the only set by that company before shouting down in 1910 could I continue the project and publish it with a company ?

I have a 20 volume set of New World Family Encyclopedias. It is the unabridged deluxe edition in very good condition. I would like to know it's value.

Encyclopedias, unless they are antique (over 100 years old), have very little value in this day and age when accurate information can be gotten over the internet in seconds.

I have a full set of American People Encyclopedias in decent condition. What would they be worth? They are 1958 edition.

Thank you.

Most of these are worth very little. Up to date Information is obtained easily on the internet. You would be better off donating it and taking the tax deduction.

What is the estimated value of a complete set of the encyclopedia Americana in perfect condition?

You are asking for an estimated value - for what reason? Do you plan to try and sell these? Are you thinking local or Internet? These are good questions because each of these have different problems and also time necessary to sell.

Local: Craig's List is good and you may have several other local sites to explore. May not bring a lot of money but there will be no difficult shipping involved and usually free listing.

Internet/On-Line sale: Amazon and eBay are probably your best bet but you need to check out each one before making a decision. Just remember - shipping is real "pain".

Here are 2 eBay current listings for your type of books:

http://www.ebay  set&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay  opedia-americana

Here is a link showing what sets of books actually sold for:

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

What is a full set Collier's Encyclopedia published in 1932 worth?

These books usually have very little value. You would probably be better off financially by donating it and taking the tax deduction.

How much would a set of 1884 German encyclopedias be worth?

That'a old. It may be an antique. I would take it to several book dealers to get an idea of what it's worth.

I have encyclopedias from 1993 that are People and Places from A to Z and was wondering how much they are worth. They are 23 years old so I was wondering how much I should sell them for.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I have a copy of The Children's Encyclopedia by Arthur Mee, volumes 1 to 10. They are in excellent condition. I would just like some information on this set, as well as, if they are worth anything.

I would be grateful for any information thank you

I believe DCA gave an excellent answer.

It seems strange that most books offered for sale on eBay or Amazon are not in the US but being offered from the UK.

Here is one site showing what is currently listed (not sold) (1/13/2017):

https://www.ama  ia+by+Arthur+Mee

I have a set of circa '60s encyclopedias in perfect condition, that I need to know the value of and how and where best to sell them. I also have a set of year books from the same time (era) that are perfect.

These encyclopedias are not worth. Financially you would probably be better off donating them and taking the tax deduction.

How much is an entire set of Americana encyclopedia 1904 (16 volumes) worth? They are in pretty good shape considering their age! Where can I sell them?

Load More