Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets

This page is great place to look for the value of old encyclopedias. Look below for feedback shared about the value of various encyclopedia sets. If you don't see your set listing, feel free to post a question.

April 2, 2012 Flag

For over a year I have tried selling an encyclopedia set that is in pristine condition on Craigslist. I have even seen ads where people are giving away their encyclopedias for FREE. Due to the internet there is nothing that you can't find that isn't in the encyclopedia except the photos. However, they like other books, seem to be a thing of the past. It really is a shame.

Unfortunately I have to downsize and one of the things I have to part with are my books, so the encyclopedias seem to be hanging around without any responses to purchase them. I will probably end up donating them if I can find someone who wants them. I guess the only value of encyclopedia is the sentimental value one has for them. I myself think it is a beautiful sight to see books lining a bookshelf.

By Carol from Beverly, MA

Do you still have the World Book Encyclopedias 1960 edition? You said you wanted to give them away. I have a friend looking for a pre-WWII set but he could be interested in yours. Please advise. Thanks.

--Rita

November 27, 2016 Flag

I have a full set of Collier's Encyclopedias. There are 8 volumes. What price could I sell it for?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 12, 2016 Flag

There are 20 volumes in an excellent condition. What would be the price to put it in eBay?

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

August 24, 2016 Flag

I am not finding this particular set either on eBay or elsewhere. Do you know what year these would be? The value?

Thanks

I found the date... it is 1942. Thanks

August 9, 2016 Flag

How much would a 1929 World Book Encyclopedia set be worth? It is a 10 book set in excellent condition.

I have a set I would love to sell. Like new. If interested contact me at email below.

September 10, 2016 Flag

I have encyclopedias from the 1800s. I am wondering what they are worth.

Encyclopedias published before 1923 may have some value depending upon age and condition. You can search online for book collectors, contact auction houses in your area and this site:

http://www.book-collecting-tips.com/old-book-values.html

September 30, 2016 Flag

I have a set of Popular Mechanics Encyclopedia. There are 27 books A through Z, copywrite 1986. Are these worth anything? They are in excellent condition.

*

August 16, 2016 Flag

What is the value of a set of 1972 "The World Book" Encyclopedias? I have the entire 21 volume set, including 20 book volumes plus (1) 1972 Year Book.
It is in excellent condition.

*

August 16, 2016 Flag

Have a 30 volume set of this encyclopedia, 1943 edition. Is it worth anything to collectors? Or is it only of sentimental value?
Thanks.

*

September 25, 2016 Flag

I have the encyclopedia World Book of games. It is a first edition, May 1945, limited edition c643. I has never been used.

*

November 8, 2016 Flag

I have a full set of these books. I got them at an estate sale. How do I tell what year they were printed? Inside on the first page it says ISBN 0-8343-0025-7, Libary of Congress catalog card number 72-170933.
Thank you.

May 7, 2016 Flag

I am wondering what a complete set of Standard America Encyclopedias copyright 1937, copyright The University Society MCMXVI is worth?
The set was printed and bounded in the United States of America by
The Cuneo Press, Inc.

I have set of w.f.quarry encyclopedia dated fro 1917 thru 1935 how much of value

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksFebruary 20, 2012
Grolier's Book of Knowledge
Finding the Value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge Encyclopedias
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
🎉
🎄