Browsing: Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets

This page is great place to look for the value of old encyclopedias. Look below for feedback shared about the value of various encyclopedia sets. If you don't see your set listing, feel free to post a question.

Stack of very old encyclopedias.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 2, 2012 Flag

For over a year I have tried selling an encyclopedia set that is in pristine condition on Craigslist. I have even seen ads where people are giving away their encyclopedias for FREE. Due to the internet there is nothing that you can't find that isn't in the encyclopedia except the photos. However, they like other books, seem to be a thing of the past. It really is a shame.

Unfortunately I have to downsize and one of the things I have to part with are my books, so the encyclopedias seem to be hanging around without any responses to purchase them. I will probably end up donating them if I can find someone who wants them. I guess the only value of encyclopedia is the sentimental value one has for them. I myself think it is a beautiful sight to see books lining a bookshelf.

By Carol from Beverly, MA

September 10, 2016 Flag

I have encyclopedias from the 1800s. I am wondering what they are worth.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Encyclopedias published before 1923 may have some value depending upon age and condition. You can search online for book collectors, contact auction houses in your area and this site:

http://www.book-collecting-tips.com/old-book-values.html

Encyclopedia Americana printed 1832

August 24, 2016 Flag

I am not finding this particular set either on eBay or elsewhere. Do you know what year these would be? The value?

Thanks

volumes on a shelf

I found the date... it is 1942. Thanks

Have a complete set of 1960 Encyclopedia Americana and yearly updates to and including 1966. Is there a market for them and if so can you suggest a contact. Thank you

Virginia

August 9, 2016 Flag

How much would a 1929 World Book Encyclopedia set be worth? It is a 10 book set in excellent condition.

Im interested... they may be worthless to some people but I still think they are nice & would like to put on my shelf to use 

I have a set I would love to sell. Like new. If interested contact me at email below.

August 16, 2016 Flag

What is the value of a set of 1972 "The World Book" Encyclopedias? I have the entire 21 volume set, including 20 book volumes plus (1) 1972 Year Book.
It is in excellent condition.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

*

thank you for the information

August 16, 2016 Flag

Have a 30 volume set of this encyclopedia, 1943 edition. Is it worth anything to collectors? Or is it only of sentimental value?
Thanks.

*

Copyright. 1943, Encyclopedia Americana, 30 book set. What are they worth?

August 29, 2016 Flag

I have a complete set of 1975 Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias. I was wondering if they are worth anything and how much.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

August 29, 2016 Flag

I would like to know the value of a Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedia set. It has volumes 1 -29. I cannot find a date of print on them, but I would think around the 1960s.

August 21, 2016 Flag

I have books 1-10, 12, 13 and 15 of the Catholic Encyclopedia published between 1907 and 1912 by The Encyclopedia Press, copyright 1913. The books have been stored in my attic for a number of years and some pages have been a little nibbled by mice! All the covers are in a reasonable condition if a bit worn.

books on garden bench

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksFebruary 20, 2012
Grolier's Book of Knowledge
Finding the Value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge Encyclopedias
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 12:18:17 PM on 10.0.0.233 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.