Make a Habit of Returning Cart

I really don't think this is a tip. It's more of a suggestion for all of us to help where we can. I was at Walmart yesterday. I've made it a habit to pick up a shopping cart that's wandering around, and loose in the park lot, to use in the store. As I was going in, I noticed one of the employees was out trying to collect stray shopping carts. If each one of us would pick up a stray cart on our way in, this in turn would save on paying these employees to do the job for us. It takes so little time and you were going to get a cart anyway. So, why not?

And, of course, we all put our carts in the cart corrals, right?

While I always return my cart to the corral, and try to snag a loose one while going inside to shop, I don't cart-clean the parking lot anymore. I used to, then Beloved Hubby reminded me that I was doing someone else's job - and that person might have a hard time finding other work if the store didn't need him or her anymore. It's kinda why we don't use the self-checkouts, either - we'd rather have people working than computers ! Or maybe I'm bitter since most radio stations are automated now, which put me on unemployment more than once !

Just another opinion... and it's barely worth reading !

Dorrie, I'm glad you mentioned how the self-checkouts might be putting workers out of jobs. I hadn't thought of it that way and had just begun using them. Here in Oregon, it's illegal to pump your own gas, and I'm now wondering if that's because they want to keep people employed. And about the cart thing, I always thought I was helping someone out with their job and had never considered that I might be putting them out of a job. I will still continue to move those stray carts that seem like they could start rolling and hit someone's car (because I have a few dings in my car and wish someone had protected my car from those carts), but I will be leaving those carts that are secure but just not where they ought to be.

As for your comment about your opinion being "barely worth reading" I very much disagree. I think most of us are looking for and value others' opinions even if they contrast to our own, or we wouldn't be using and perusing this type of website. You need to stop that sort of thinking this very minute ;)

When I see those kids out in the rain and snow and sooo cold I figure if they didn't have to go out to get baskets they could be doing something inside...maybe they wouldn't lose their jobs...maybe just stay in where it's warm and dry? Be interesting to find out what store owners and managers have to say.

I am glad I am not the only one. Honestly, how much longer does it take to walk over to the cart corral and put your cart away??? I get so irritated when people are so lazy! The worst is when the corral is next to the car and they still do not put it up! GRRRR..... I always put my cart away and people complain their cars get dinged up in parking lots! I suppose if all stores resorted to the Aldi's way and pay a quarter to use the cart most of the stray carts would disappear!

Sorry, I don't agree with the comment that if customers cart-clean the parking lot, it'll put store employees out of work. Good grief, they don't hire people to run around all over that lot grabbing stray carts! They hire the non-checkers mainly to bag groceries, restock shelves, clean up broken/dropped merchandise, and pick up carts from the cart corrals (NOT from all over the lot). Sorry again, but I firmly believe that customers not returning the carts to the corrals or the store itself is most of the time caused by sheer laziness, not a concern for store employees losing their jobs.

ALL opinions are worth reading! I hate it when I go to pull in a space and there sits a cart or two and the corral is right next to the spot...and we wonder why obesity is so bad in America right now. Another thing that cracks me up is the ones who will sit in the lane waiting for spot close to the door, and I can barely walk sometimes and yet will park and walk more than half a lane. Oh well, I could go on and on, I won't.

It is a great tip: I have been doing this for years. One of the Wal-Mart stores close to us at one time had a "Buggy Buddy" contest.For those who brought in a buggy from outside they would get a piece of paper to write their name and # on and once a month Wal-Mart would have a drawing from those paper and give away a prize. They have stopped that now for some reason but it was really a nice idea. Maybe since some people aren't going to bring in a cart unless there is something in it for them, this idea might be a good one to bring back.

Of course this is a good idea since we all need more exercise anyway. However, I think of my great nephew who is a full time college student and has the job with Walmart of picking up carts from the parking lot. I am proud that he is learning a good work ethic.

Well, I know for a fact that some stores hire people JUST for carts because I used to hire them. Usually they were the 16-18 yr olds because they had to be 18 to work inside the building. That being said, before we starting doing that I pushed my fair share of carts and let me tell you what a pain in the patoot that is. I didn't mind one bit getting the carts that were already in the corral. BUT there was always some joker who would stick their cart knee deep in a snow drift or a mud puddle or let it blow way out to the nether regions of our huge parking lot where nobody actually parked. It's funny too that now that I have a 13 month old baby and WANT a cart to put him in when I take him out of the car, there isn't a cart to found! Oh well, such is life.

This is one of my pet peeves.

I have, on occasion, picked up additional carts on my way to the cart corral.

I have noticed that it is almost always the younger shoppers who will leave their carts anywhere BUT the cart corral.

It's no wonder we have a problem with obesity in our country.

Our Save-A-Lot store parking lot is huge and only has one cart corale. And yes carts are left all over the lot. Where we park is near the road and has a grass area. We always put the cart with

the front 2 wheels up over the curb in the grass.. that way it catches there and cant move or be blown around and hit cars. We move the carts to safe areas or put them in the corale on the way into the store. And yes our car has been hit by carts in the lot. We arent lazy...like I said we move them to safe places.. and make it easy for somone to grab the one we used.

The only thing that irritates me more is stores that demand you put a quarter in the cart 'machine' before it is released for use. (and not having a quarter.)

I take a cart in with me and when returning my cart, the dog joins me for the walk.

I have to agree that we should have the courtesy of using the cart corral and when possible just pick up a cart on the way into the store. (I do, I do) At the same time there is another side to this. In these times of economic stress I like to think that having those people pick up the carts and returning them to the store provides someone with a paying job. It may not be a princely salary but I know of a few people doing this job in our community who do it well and they may not be qualified to be hired for other kinds of work. As one of our well loved radio personalities often says. "Thats the other side of the story."

I know you mean well. But. Some stores hire kids just to go get those carts, so don't put them out of a job. And Walmart doesn't pay very much - they're not going to lower prices if they have 1 or 2 fewer employees. Any savings will go to the Home Office.

I agree with Dorrie, I know the walmart where I live they hire people that's not mentally able to hold down a job any where else to bring in the shopping carts. I do put them into the cart corral that way it want be to hard for them. I also, grab a cart on my way into the store. I know that the Artlady is right if its at a store where they have to have a cashier go and get the carts. But, with our economy like it is people need a job no matter how small it is.

Robin

I used to do that until it was pointed out to me that to do that cuts someone out of a job.

Mother and Daughter Shopping at Supermarket
Shopping Tips and Tricks
Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersNovember 24, 2008
A woman typing in a credit card number for an online shopping purchase.
Online Shopping Tips
Durable Shopping Cart
Looking for Durable Shopping Cart
Shirts on Sale
Tips for Price Matching
Parking Meter
Saving Money on Parking
🎉
🎄