Shopping Tips and Tricks

Whatever shopping you have to accomplish, there are many ways to save time and money. This guide contains shopping tips and tricks.

I have found the best way to move purchases from my vehicle to my house. I have a clean 32 gal trashcan with wheels that I use to transport purchases from the vehicle into the house and nothing falls out in large holes like the wire shopping carts.

If I need to make more than 1 trip or if it's heavy, I can wheel it up the 5 steps and to any room for emptying. Because I don't shop that often, in the meantime I use it for storage for paper goods in my bedroom. With a board on top then a sheet to match my décor, it's a nice bedside table. Before I leave to do my shopping, I will move the board and the contents to the bed so it is already to go when I get home from shopping.

A restaurant supply store is different than a warehouse-type store like Costco. The one I shop at is called Cash and Carry. These allow anyone to purchase without a card. The difference with restaurant supply is that they cater to restaurant owners, which means they will have bulk of vegetables, dairy, baking supplies, cleaning/serving supplies, and some other things.

Most of their prices usually beat any other store (like 50 lbs of potatos for $8).

We dry most of our own food, so buying bulk vegetables (like 2.5 lbs of spinach) is wonderful. I highly recommend searching for one in your area. Buying bulk on what you can store will save you a lot.

By Bonnie from Spokane, WA

At times, I stock up on grocery items and household supplies when I can get them at a bargain price. I also shop end of season sales for clothing. These items sometimes end up getting packed away for a few months until the weather is right for wearing them. Although, I'm not a packrat, there are times when my pantry, closets and cabinets can get rather full. This is when I go on a home shopping spree.

Instead of heading to the grocery store, I go through the items I have in the freezer and pantry and for a week, maybe two, I prepare meals from the items I have on hand. This is a great way to use up items that are nearing their expiration date. It gives me a chance to work through the items I have purchased in bulk or in large quantities in order to get them at a good price. It also provides an excellent opportunity for creating new recipes. I've invented some dishes that have become some of our favorite meal ideas during my cooking from the pantry adventures.

I designate one month, as often as I feel necessary, to work down my accumulation of household cleaning products, detergent and other items I have extra amounts of. Not having to buy these items as part of my monthly shopping experience gives me an opportunity to put a little extra money aside for unforeseen expenses, or better yet, for fun activities.

There have been many occasions when I have been able to revise, update, or accessorize articles of clothing instead of buying something new. I always look through the items I bought at a seasonal sale to see if they can be modified to meet a current need. Sometimes, all it takes it a little creativity to give something ordinary or outdated a new and trendy appearance.

One other area where I find shopping at home a great money-saving experience involves pet related items. Pet beds and toys can be made from things I no longer use such as old clothing, pillowcases, comforters, socks and numerous other items that would otherwise be thrown away. There are some people foods that are safe to feed dogs. I take advantage of sales on vegetables such as green beans and carrots and use them to help stretch my pet food budget. On the weeks I refrain from grocery shopping, I often pull some vegetables from the pantry to supplement my dogs' dry food.

I love having money left over on the months I shop at home. I also enjoy the opportunity if offers me to stretch my imagination and release my creativity.

When I get the urge to shop and don't want to spend a lot of money, I go to the dollar store. It's a great way to squelch the urge and I can get a few inexpensive items that I usually need.

We live in the age of 'Hype'. And we have for so long, the plain unadulterated truth would probably sound strange to us. Even the adjectives we use cannot be taken literally.

Have you noticed things that have no weight now come in tons? 'I spent the weekend at the beach and had tons of fun'.

A great way to save money is to research what you are buying first even if it is something simple like a coffee pot. You would be so surprised to see how many deals you can find online.

We live in a small town with limited shopping. The nearest bulk shopping is 115 miles away. My friends and I take turns making the round trip and go in on purchases of paper towels and other disposables.

Maybe not a new idea but I think it 's a money saver. Make 2 shopping lists. First is considered a monthly list, in which items like; paper towels, TP, soap and other household items purchased, and a second weekly list for food items only.

To cut down on buying items you already have, create an inventory list for the bathroom, kitchen and pantry. Create two columns. Column 1 is to list the items you like to have on hand and column 2 is to check off when you run out of an item.

When I need to buy dish liquid or any cleaner for that matter, I don't just grab any bottle. I will look at all the bottles on the shelf and pick the one that is the fullest.

Because if you pay attention there are some bottles that are fuller then others. That's how I get the most for my money.

I have hated going to the grocery store recently. I keep getting depressed with the high prices! I went today after I went for my morning walk at the track. I continued to listen to my music with one earpiece of my iPod in.

At checkout at electronic stores, the clerk will always offer you an additional warranty. The script usually sounds a little like this: "Would like addition buyers protection on this product for only $20.00".

I always use a list when I shop but sometimes the amount of sales tax would trip me up. I found that if I tally a line for each dollar the item costs. and tally up to the next amount.

Years ago, I read an article suggesting the "need, love, or want" rule when making purchases. This has worked well for me and I'd like to share my experience.

I really don't think this is a tip. It's more of a suggestion for all of us to help where we can. I was at Walmart yesterday. I've made it a habit to pick up a shopping cart that's wandering around, and loose in the park lot, to use in the store.

To help save money when grocery shopping or shopping for multiple items anywhere, use a tally counter to keep track of your spending and don't be surprised when you get to the register. Calculators never work for me because I always end up zeroing by mistake...

We have a spare fridge in the basement where we keep sodas and the freezer is full. We keep bags from grocery shopping near the spare fridge so we can "shop" for what we need when we are down there.

The best way to stop spending money is to stay out of the stores or the yard sales or thrift shops. Sometimes we think we are saving money by shopping sales and taking advantage of specials or coupons, but that is true only if you really need something.

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful

This week we're conducting an experiment in our house. Each weekend, we reluctantly run errands that total $200 or more. It's depressing. They're not meaningless, bored shopping trips; they're planned trips for essential items.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Did you that you can get a bargain at Sam's Club? Sam's doesn't have sales. So to know if you are getting a true bargain look for things ending with .01 cent. For example $10.81. Those are their markdowns.

I purchased a special pen which attaches to a lanyard around my neck. I bring it with me when I go shopping to make sure I (a.) cross everything off my list and therefore do not miss anything, and (b.) never lose my pen.

I was at Walmart around the kitchen section and passed by the coffee mugs. There were tons of them, and I decided to take a picture so I could go over them in detail later. I had missed the Snoopy one while there, but spotted it in my photo.

Just picked up some little spray bottles of the classic French scent Intimate - from the 99 Cent Store! I looked it up, and it is a brand from a 50's French designer. the price at which I got it was 1/2 off even the net's discount price.

There is a time when things aren't on sale-no matter what the store sign says, what's written on the price tag, or how much the cashier actually charges. When is this? When you pay with your charge card.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Most coupons are not that great as you get caught up in buying other products or buying more than you need regarding food & then it goes to waste. However, recently we had a local retailer advertise a sale for 3 days, everything in the store 20% off!

I always spend less money if I use cash instead of my debit card or check book. An excellent tip that I have used for years is so easy. When I shop...

Despite what they say in their advertisements, stores aren't out to save shoppers money. Their business is to make money, and the better they are at doing just that the more profitable the franchise.

If you get a carryout meal, only to get home and it's not exactly what you ordered, by all means, keep your sales receipt. Stop back in and tell the management about your purchase. They'll most likely make it to your liking.

One of my biggest shopping tips is to always price check items. You might be surprised at the price difference at times.

Load More