Vinegar In Soup

How does vinegar improve the flavor of soup? Any specific type of vinegar?

Holly from Richardson, TX

I am not sure what kind of soup you are making, but I have been taught by the naturopathics and homeopathics that adding some vinegar to home made soups brings the calcium out of the bones you are using to make the stock.

You don't add much...I use under 1/4 cup--perhaps less) for a pot of soup. It does not impart a vinegary flavor to the soup. However, I know that I am adding much needed calcium to my stock.

It's an acid, just like lemon juice or wine. Asking which one to use is tough because they all have a different purpose and outcome. My word of advice would be to start w/ ones like a red-wine vinegar or a balsamic. Don't spend your money on the most expensive ones on the shelf. Just to get your feet wet - I'd go 'google' vinegar recipes and start with a real recipe, unless you're comfortable in the kitchen experimenting. Good luck.

Yesterday I was making a pot of vegetable soup, so I went to the basement and got a jar of my soup mix (okra, tomatoes and peppers). I popped the lid off and poured it in when I noticed that I had picked up by mistake a jar of mixed veggie pickles. Oh well, with the addition of carrots, potatoes, chicken and some stock we had a very good soup. I had used apple cider vinegar in my pickles and if I make soup again with vinegar I would probably add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup to the mix.

Food and Recipes Food Tips SoupMarch 1, 2007
vinegar and baking soda
Uses for Vinegar
killing weeds
Planting After Killing Weeds With Vinegar
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet