Getting Rid of Older Televisions

I would like to know what to do with old TVs? We've accumulated several TVs over the years. They still work fine. Can someone offer a suggestion as to what to do with them? I've tried to give them away and no one wants them. Any advice would be most appreciated. Happy Holidays everyone!

By Maggie from Woodbridge, VA

I would call my township or municipality and ask if they will be having a "free recycling day" where you could bring (or have picked up) TVs. Or call your trash hauler and find out their policy on taking televisions. If you can get them to the curb a day or two before pick-up, you could put a "free" notice, or a "curb alert" on craigslist to let anyone know if they want it.

Our town doesn't accept old electronics in with the trash but it holds an electronics recycling day twice a year. Great for getting rid of old TVs, dead computers and such. See if your town has something similar. Call your town hall or ask your trash collector.

Have you offered them for free on the local recycling in your area? Or on craigslist? I know many folks getting out on their own would love to have one for free! Young kids starting out, college students, etc, perhaps offering one at a time. If not, take it to the Salvation Army. They accept them, and will either give them away or sell inexpensively! Good luck!

It's sad, but too many people today don't want the older, tube style TV's even if they are free. The new flat screens are what they want. Of course there are plenty of exceptions, but it's much harder to find the ones that will accept the older sets.

Here's a short list of suggested places to call and ask if they would be able to use an older style TV as a donation:

Emergency shelters

Womens' crisis centers

Non profit youth centers

Non profit community centers

Church community centers

Rest/Nursing homes

Halfway and/or other group living houses

I really hate to see things in good working condition thrown out merely because they are old . . . but when you can't find anyone who wants it for free then there is no other option. (Sigh) Good Luck!

When we want to get rid of an item that still works, we just put it in the front yard with a "free" sign on it. Or the sign could say "free - works fine." The item is usually gone by the next day.

Doesn't your town have a survival center for people who have been homeless and now have a place but no furniture?

I am not positive but as long as they work I think Salvation Army will take them (even pick them up) and Goodwill in my area definitely takes them as long as you drop them off at one of their collection centers.

Post them on www.freecycle.org

Goodwill here won't take any tvs,but Salvation Army does. Some of the other 2nd hand stores will too,so try looking in the yellow pages under 'thrift store'. Do as others suggested & call around to the places they listed

Put it out early on the day before trash collection, with a sign that says 'free,works!'. We don't even have to put a sign on things,if we put them out while it's light outside ,it's usually gone right after it gets dark. I guess nobody wants to take it during daylight. LOL!

Wow. To see this, that people have so much trouble getting rid of their old TVs really surprises me. I actually go around town in my pickup on trash night looking for old TVs. The ones that work, I resell.

Some don't work but are an easy fix so I fix them and resell too. Some don't work at all. Those are the ones I dismantle. I take out the tin and copper from the insides. When I have a lot of it, I take it to the recycling center for a little extra cash. I've also actually used parts of old TVs for crafts. Once I used the frame of a tv to frame some art. If I see them in the trash or advertised for free on my local craigslist, I will take it. I'm in the Thumb area of Michigan.

Old television set.
Getting Rid of Old TVs
Consumer Advice General AdviceNovember 21, 2010
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
🎄