Extra Counter Space In The Kitchen

I have a very small computer desk that didn't have enough surface space. It has one drawer. I had a small metal cookie sheet that I wasn't using, so I covered it with a piece of an old plastic tablecloth (using tape). You could also use a plastic tray or even a cutting board. Basically, whatever will fit on top of the drawer. I just happened have the cookie sheet that fit perfectly.

I placed the covered cookie sheet across the opened desk drawer. Doing this, I created more desk surface space. I can remove the cookie sheet very easily and store it next to my computer or lift it to use the drawer. I normally keep it on the opened drawer. If there is a problem with the sheet or tray sliding, glue pieces of that "grippy" liner that is sold in "Dollar Discount Stores", on the top sides of the drawer. Just check to be sure the drawer can still close. If ever I need to use the cookie sheet, I just have to un-tape the piece of tablecloth and wash it. This idea can also be used in the kitchen by placing cookie sheets or cutting boards on an open drawer.

By mkymlp from NE PA

My kitchen is very small and has very limited counter space. When I have a big cooking session I pull out my two top drawers and cover them with my bread board or cookie sheet to give myself extra room to work.

By K. Cooper

Answers:

Extra Counter Space In The Kitchen

Hey! Great idea! I will have to do that, too. Our kitchen isn't that big, plus we have too much stuff in it right now. We don't have much counter space because the kitchen cabinets are a bit low, so you can't put many tall items on the counter. (10/24/2004)

By Lori Gestner