Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Yardman mower that is not a year old yet. It will not start. The motor turns freely, but won't engage. The last time it worked, when I cut it off it backfired. What could be the problem?

By Linda T

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By CRYSTAL 15 22 10/27/2010

Hi, have you checked the spark plug? There is also a sensor on the seat, that if you are not sitting down, it will not crank. Safety reason. :) Hope you get it fixed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start

How do I fix my 15 hp Yardman riding mower? When I turned the key it tried to start. It would turn over once then stop. So I started getting into it and I came across a red wire hooked under the carburetor that was nicked by the starter. I cut it and twisted it together then tried to turn it on. The same thing happened.

Then I traced the black wire to the coil and it ran under the engine where there was a connector (still the black wire). I took it apart and put it back together. Now there is no power when I turn the key.

By Sunny

RE: Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start

Sounds like you grounded out a hot wire. Just because it's black, you can't assume it's a ground wire. This is why they have wiring diagrams. Unhook the last wire you tied together and check your fuse. Either you have a bad starter, or a bad battery. Not enough cranking amps for the starter. (09/16/2010)

By revravyid