Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Yardman mower that is not a year old yet. It will not start. The motor turns freely, but won't engage. The last time it worked, when I cut it off it backfired. What could be the problem?

By Linda T

Hi, have you checked the spark plug? There is also a sensor on the seat, that if you are not sitting down, it will not crank. Safety reason. :) Hope you get it fixed.

October 26, 2010 Flag

How do I fix my 15 hp Yardman riding mower? When I turned the key it tried to start. It would turn over once then stop.
So I started getting into it and I came across a red wire hooked under the carburetor that was nicked by the starter. I cut it and twisted it together then tried to turn it on. The same thing happened.

Then I traced the black wire to the coil and it ran under the engine where there was a connector (still the black wire). I took it apart and put it back together. Now there is no power when I turn the key.

By Sunny

Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start

Sounds like you grounded out a hot wire. Just because it's black, you can't assume it's a ground wire. This is why they have wiring diagrams. Unhook the last wire you tied together and check your fuse. Either you have a bad starter, or a bad battery. Not enough cranking amps for the starter. (09/16/2010)

By revravyid

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersOctober 26, 2010
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start