Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Canned Mackerel

This inexpensive, nutritious fish is consumed worldwide. This page contains recipes using canned mackerel.

Solutions: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Spicy Mackerel Patties

You only need four ingredients for these easy, inexpensive, delicious mackerel patties.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 8 patties

• 1 can mackerel, drained ($1.49)
  • 1 egg ($.18)
  • 1/2 cup chunky salsa, drained ($.40)
  • bread crumbs or cracker crumbs ($.05)
  • salt, pepper, etc. opt.

1. Drain mackerel and take out skin and large bones. I usually just crush the bones.
  2. Drain salsa and add to bowl with mackerel.
  3. Add egg to bowl. Mix with hands or large wooden spoon.
  4. Add salt, pepper or seasonings if you prefer. I sometimes use onion powder, garlic powder and cumin but not always. If the salsa is spicy, it is often enough on its own.
  5. Add bread crumbs or cracker crumbs until texture is just right for making patties.
  6. Fry patties in a small amount of oil until crispy on outside. If you prefer baked then cook for approximately 20 minutes in a 400 degree F oven.
  7. I often serve salsa on the side with these and sometimes a little sour cream.

These can be very low calorie if you bake them and serve with fat free sour cream (opt.)

By

Recipe: Baked Mackerel Patties

I use mackerel just as I do salmon to make mackerel patties. I add rosemary to my recipe, I sprinkle just a few fresh bristles (6-10) on top. It is also good in the oven, instead of frying mackerel patties, I bake them.

• 1 whole can of mackerel and juice.
  • 1 egg
  • cornmeal,
  • onion (optional)
  • rosemary (optional)

1. I add the whole can of mackerel and juice, egg, cornmeal and a little water and mix with a wooden or plastic spoon.
    Onions and rosemary are optional.
  2. Make the batter for the mackerel patties like you do your cornbread, but thick like a biscuit mix. Spoon on a baking sheet (spray sheet with Pam). Flatten it with the spoon lightly.

Hint* Spray your spoon or dip it in warm water so it doesn't stick to spoon.

3. I bake it in the oven like my cornbread, until golden brown.
  4. When it cools, I dip mine in mustard. Gosh, I wish I had a couple now!

By

Tip: Salmon (Mackerel) Gravy

I make salmon gravy with mackerel. First make your gravy and debone the mackerel. Use your hands and break the mackerel up and add to the gravy. You can use the juice too but I do not like to use it. My family grew up on what they call salmon gravy. it was really mackerel gravy and they love it. Served with hot biscuits is great.

Anna Marie

Tip: Mackerel or Salmon Patties

My mom used to make these regularly when I was growing up. Love these! Very simple and not expensive to make.

• 1 can mackerel or salmon (15oz.)
  • 1 cup soda crackers, crushed
  • 2 eggs
  • salt, to taste

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together in mixing bowl. Drop by tablespoonfuls into a heated frying pan that has 1-2 teaspoons oil in it. Brown on both sides. It just takes a few minutes on each side.

Servings: 6 (depends on size of patty)
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: just a few minutes until browned on each side

By Robin from Washington, IA

Tip: Add Mackerel to Salmon Patties

When making salmon patties, sometimes one can of salmon will not make enough for my needs. Instead of buying another can of salmon, I mix in a can of jack mackerel (right next to tuna and salmon at the grocery). Jack mackerel is about $1 or $2 cheaper and works just at well. Also, I crush up the bones in both and it gives healthy calcium to the dish.

By Judy from Memphis, TN

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Recipes Using Canned Mackerel.

Question: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

How can I use canned mackerel in a recipe?

By Darlene L

Most Recent Answer

By elva10/23/2012

1. You can make mackerel cakes, that I would eat with syrup and biscuit
I used:
1 egg,
2 tablespoon of corn meal,
1 small onion diced,
a little black-pepper
to taste and fry in a small amount cooking oil about 1/2 cut in skillet fry on both side until brown.

2. Also you can serve them on a green salad.
3. You can scramble them in eggs for breakfast.
4. Mackerel salad, used this instead of tuna fish.

Question: Eating the Bones in Canned Mackerel

Do I have to worry about bones in canned mackarel? Would there be any bones left to harm me?

By Sharadg from Toronto

Question: Using Canned Mackerel Liquid in Other Recipes

Rather than discarding them, can the juices from canned mackerel be used in various recipes? Many thanks.

By A.P.P.

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac11/28/2012

I wonder what you use the mackerel for. It is horrible smelling and oily. Salmon is a much better fish. I only knew people to feed mackerel to their cats.

Question: Canned Mackerel Recipes

I need a recipe with canned mackerel. Thanks.

By Simone

Most Recent Answer

By Coreen Hart07/20/2011

There was a time when mackerel tasted better than salmon. We used a lot of it. I found that I could substitute it for salmon in lots of recipes such as salmon loaf and salmon patties. If it is as strong as others say, try rinsing it, and be sure to include some lemon juice in the mix.

Question: Croquettes with Mackerel Instead of Salmon

I would like to know how to make mackerel croquettes?

By Linda from Memphis, TN

Best Answer

By kathleen williams11/14/2009

Use Mackerel instead of salmon, just as good as salmon, much cheaper.

Ingredients

1 (14 3/4 oz.) canned salmon
1/4 cup onion,or more, finely chopped
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1 egg
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tablespoon vinegar

Directions

Open salmon. Place salmon in mixing bowl and flake evenly with a fork. Add onion, corn meal, flour, mayonnaise, and egg. Stir until well blended. Shape the mixture into patties about the size of an average burger or less. I put flour on hands to keep it from sticking. Cook in oil in skillet over medium heat until browned on each side. Turn once while frying.

Note: The mayonnaise helps the patties hold their shape and keeps them from being too dry. May need to add more flour.

By Kathleen from Dothan, Al

Question: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Can I make patties out of canned mackerel similar to salmon patties?

By cyclechicred from Gastonia, NC

Most Recent Answer

By nora finley09/09/2009

Yes, you can use canned mackeral the same as you do the salmon. I have used it and it doesn't alter the taste at all.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I am looking for a recipe for canned mackerel. I get my food from the food bank and I was given a can of mackerel. I don't know what to do with it. Would I treat it like salmon?

Thanks,
Sandy from Baltimore, MD

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I've used mackerel in place of salmon in several recipes. Much cheaper and the taste is pretty much the same. (07/17/2006)

By Darlene

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

My boys still love eating mackerel croquettes and they're both in their 20's. Just add an egg, chopped onions, seasoning, and bread crumbs (the kind you buy in a canister). Form the croquettes and lightly brown them in a little bit of oil. Squeeze a little fresh lemon on after cooking and you're good to go. It is also one of the richest sources of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. (07/18/2006)

By Nelda

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Just open and eat with crackers. (07/18/2006)

By minymont

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Here are a couple of salmon recipes, that you could replace with mackerel. I have and no difference in taste.

SALMON NOODLE CASSEROLE

• 2 tbsp. margarine
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 lb. can red salmon, undrained
  • 1 (8 oz.) pkg. Velveeta
  • 2 c. cooked noodles

Mix margarine, flour, salt, and mustard in 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Gradually stir in milk and cubed Velveeta, stirring constantly. When mixture is thickened, remove from heat and add undrained salmon and noodles. Place in 1 1/2 quart casserole and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Salmon Cakes

Prep Time: 30 min

• 3/4 cup Progresso Plain Bread Crumbs
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 egg white, beaten
  • 1 (14 3/4-oz.) can salmon, drained, skin and bones removed, flaked
  • 1 (4.5-oz.) can Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles, drained
  1. In large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover; refrigerate 10 minutes or until slightly firm.
  2. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
  3. Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add patties; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. If desired, serve with additional nonfat sour cream.
(07/18/2006)

By micksgirl

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

To take the strong fish odor and taste from the mackerel, add a dollop or 2 of prepared mustard to your ingredients when preparing a dish with it. My aunt taught me this. It works, and you don't taste the mustard, either. (07/28/2006)

By badwater

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

• 1 can mackerel, flake with fork
  • 1 cup mayo
  • 1/4 cup dried onions
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2TBS dried
  • 1 egg

Mix it all together. (We eat spines before making, just as a treat, don't know how that bit started. You can remove skin, we stretch this canned fish so leave it on).

Add 3 cups bread crumbs. Mix in. Pat into baking dish (don't grease beforehand) and bake 350 F for 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Eat hot or cook in loaf pan and cool, slice for sandwiches. (02/12/2008)

By James

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Try it on good, fresh bread with Dijon mustard. Serve with fresh veggies and a strong beer. (03/08/2008)

By Diggo

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I add canned mackerel to salad. I first chop up the fish, bones, skin, and all, and sprinkle with Vitamin C powder to lessen the fishy taste and odor. I now prefer mackerel to salmon and tuna. (03/25/2008)

By IggyDalrymple

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

This is one of my all time favorites from when I was a child and I still cook it and my daughters love it. Chop up one onion, saute it in butter or whatever you may have, add the mackerel to it. Cook on low heat until hot. Season to taste, and serve over hot rice with bread and butter. (04/15/2008)

By Michelle

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Mackerel is far healthier than red meat. It contains more protein per pound than round steak
  • Round Steak = 30 grams
  • Mackerel = 70 grams

Plus the fat in fish is actually healthy instead of unhealthy. I regularly buy canned mackerel or salmon and make fish cakes. Just add a couple of eggs, some rolled oats, chopped onions, some red pepper flakes if you have them. Use a half cup measuring cup and form patties. Bake on greased sheet of pan fry in a little oil on both sides. Serve with either ketchup or a mayonnaise type sauce. Very healthy and very cheap. (06/18/2008)

By Jim

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I use it with the pasta they gave me. (06/18/2008)

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

At my house we just pop the top, drain some excess oil, and put the can directly on a burner to cook the mackerel until it's soft and done. Add soy sauce and chopped scallions at the end and eat with rice. No pots, pans, or bowls to clean up except the one you put rice into. (07/08/2008)

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Out of curiosity I thought I would google search if any one has posted recipes using canned mackerel, oh yeah. Try this one, my family has it a lot, it's easy simple and really good nutritionally:
  • empty 1 or 2 cans of mackerel into an oven proof dish
  • add sliced onions
  • teaspoon chili (or not if you don't like it)
  • season and add fresh or dry herbs as you like
  • 1 or 2 can chopped tomatoes

Then this is the best part. Cover with 1 or 2 cans of good quality coconut cream and bake for 20 - 30 minutes. Serve with fresh boiled rice, hmm yum d-lsh! (10/26/2008)

By Rolie

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I make chowder with canned mackerel and it is delicious. This is the highest and best use of the product. Place 1 can of fish in a two quart pot, bones, juice and all. Break up the mackerel into fairly small chunks and add 1 can of diced tomatoes. Dice and add 1 onion, a quarter cup of rice or a cubed potato and salt and pepper to season. Add 1-2 cans of water or chicken broth. Boil vigorously and then simmer for a half hour or so. The longer it cooks, the more tender the fish becomes. This is very similar to bluefish chowder. Enjoy. (11/09/2008)

By Bess

RE: Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I'm a Save-A-Lot shopper and this is one of our favorite suppers. Canned Salmon I usually replace crab in a creamy crab cake recipe, but with canned Mackerel I use a deviled clam recipe. Mini Food processor or a blender creates the best results.
  1. 1 medium green pepper, 1 medium onion, 1 medium potato - all raw, cut in chunks and chop very tiny in blender/FP. Empty this mixture in mixing bowl.
  2. Drain one can of mackerel an toss in blender/FP, bones and all. (They have great calcium and will grind/disappear.) Add 1 large egg and about 2 tbsp of Old Bay or seasoning of choice. Chop for about 30 seconds. Add to mixing bowl.
  3. Mix all well and gently dip by the spoonful onto bread crumbs and coat. Fry in pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes each side.
  4. Serve with cocktail or tartar sauce.

(09/05/2009)

By Margiemix