Use Old Socks as Cleaning Rags

Instead of throwing away old worn socks, I keep them to use for really "nasty cleaning". Just put them on your hand, clean your spot, then turn them back wrong side out over your hand and dispose of them at that time. It is just a frugal way to get "one last use" from your socks.

By northwoman from Fort Vermilion, Alberta

November 17, 2010 Flag

If your old boyfriend's, husband's or son's socks are full of holes, don't throw them out. First use them to dust with and any other cleaning, then just toss them into the garbage. It sure helps you out for quick emergency cleaning! Saves time and money.

By Linda W. from Gibsonburg, OH

Answers:

Use Old Socks as Cleaning Rags

Why not just re-wash them to use for cleaning again instead of throwing them away? If you're worried about having to check the entire population of socks for holes again all you have to do is set them aside separately from your laundry basket in a bag and then wash with your towels and regular cleaning rags. If you don't separate your laundry you can place them in one of those mesh zipper laundry bags. (03/23/2010)

By Deeli

March 22, 2010 Flag

When my families' white socks get holes in them or end up being strays, I use them to dust. I slip a sock over my hand and it is very easy to dust rungs of chairs, legs of tables and knick-knacks. Your socked hand fits over any shape and gets in all the little crevices, anywhere it is hard to reach. The socks get washed with the regular sock laundry and put back in the cleaning bin.

Source: I got this idea because I dislike cleaning and love anything that makes it easier and quicker, besides I can't throw anything out until it is completely used up.

By eiw from Lancaster, PA

May 22, 2009 Flag

When my socks get holes in them, I turn them inside out and use them for dusting/cleaning rags. By turning them inside out I can easily spot which socks are no longer good enough to wear as I'm sorting laundry.

By Susan from Giddings, TX

Answers:

More uses for old socks and old nylons

Old cotton socks also make good panty liners for the last couple of days of your menstrual cycle. Just safety-pin them into your underpants. Voila, you've got something that's re-usable and "free" instead of having to constantly buy panty liners.

Old socks are also good for any cleaning project, such as furniture polishing, re-seasoning cast iron, dusting, washing or drying dishes, or shredding and turning into pillow stuffing.

If you've got any animals, and if they're pregnant, make them a little bed and fill it with old holey socks. It's soft and warm, and you won't mind any stains from the birthing.

You can use old socks as packing material if you're moving. I put one or two in between each dinner plate, bowl, saucer, or cup. It stops the clinking, and we've never had any broken dishes from this. I also use them to slip over my champagne flutes (wedding gift), along with another layer for more padding; to hold candlesticks, pens and pencils, kitchen implements, and so forth. My husband's got large feet and therefore large socks, while my feet and shoes are embarrassingly tiny, so I put my husband's old socks over my shoes when I'm packing to go anywhere. It keeps the shoes from dirtying my clothes in the suitcase. Mind you, I do that with mate-less socks that don't have holes, because the ones with holes don't protect anything.

If you've got pantyhose with a run in one leg, cut off that leg just below the hip and save it. If you always by hose of the same color, you can wear the leg from one pair this way on one leg, and the leg from another pair on the other leg, and no one will realize they're not just one pair of hose. (Having the hip-and-butt part doubled up also adds to the tummy control effect.) You can also use old hosiery to hold old chips of soap (grind it up and use it when making homemade laundry detergent), or -- if i's still clean and not stained -- as a coffee or tea filter. (12/30/2008)

By Chayil

sock snowman
Uses for Old Socks
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning ToolsNovember 17, 2010
Socks
Making a Sock Quilt
Pair of wool socks isolated on white
Uses for Wool Socks
A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
Cleaning With Rags
Cleaning With Rags
🎉
🎄