Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

House fires and even a smokey fireplace can leave your clothing smelling like smoke. This is a guide about removing smoke smell from clothing.

April 18, 2008 Flag

Several years back we had a fire in our home and the pros came in to help us with the clean up. Everything smelled like smoke, even our clothes. One of their cleaning secrets was to put one can of Coca-Cola in the washing machine, per load with your regular laundry soap. They said: "Do NOT use sugarless and do not use Pepsi, just regular name-brand Coca-Cola." It worked wonderfully! It was amazing how well just adding one can of Coke per wash load would take out every trace of smoke smell from our clothes and other washables!

I've since used this trick to get rid of that campfire smell from my jackets and other clothes after camping and it also seems to get rid of nasty nicotine smells from my clothes when I've been around smokers. I don't know if a knockoff brand of Coke would work, I used the real thing but you could always give a cheaper brand a try!

Source: Professional smoke damage cleaners gave me this tip.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We did $84 worth of laundromat laundering yesterday, trying to remove cigarette odors from clothing that had been in a smoky home for many years. Coke did nothing to mitigate the stench, more did Pepsi. I realize this was an extreme test. Coke may work for mild odor removal.

December 5, 2009 Flag

I need to clean a white dress that has been hanging in my closet and has smoke damage from the fireplace. Any suggestions?

By Josephine from Winterville, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try using white vinegar in the laundry. This will take out any residue of smoke in the clothes.

Best Answer

We had a house fire and the insurance company sent in the pros in to help us with smoke damage. The first thing they did was hook up a huge ozone machine to remove the smoke smell from the carpeting and furniture. But when it came to clothing and other machine washables, they told us to pour one can of regular Coca-Cola (with sugar, not diet) into the wash with each load and it worked! All of the nasty smoke smell came out of our clothes. This also works with camping clothes and even with clothes from cigarette smokers.

If you can't wash your item in the machine, try Vanilla Febreze. It has a light scent that's not overwhelming. Be sure to spray the front and back then turn the garment inside out & do the front & back again, then hang dry.

If you can get your hands on a good ozone based home air cleaner then that's the ticket! Run the ozone based air cleaner in a small room (like a bath room) with your dress hanging from the shower bar.

I use 1 of 2 things. 1 is a product called Odor Check put out by Watkins. It works like a charm. 2 is Febreze. I use it on every thing including my truck (inside).

Good luck.

There was a family in my church whose house burned and they used Tide with Febreze to wash their clothes after trying other things and said that the Tide with Febreze seemed to work better than anything and really recommended it. You might try that.

I know this works well with cigarette smoke smell, so you can give it a try. If you live in a cold climate you can hang the dress in an unheated garage. The cold will help release the smell that is in the dress.

Take it to the dry cleaners.

My Father-In-Law was a Fire Marshall for five counties in Minnesota. I am sorry I can't remember the tricks he taught me back then (have had 6 strokes) but no one knows better how to remove smoke damage and smells like Firemen or the State Fire Marshall's Office. Give them a call. They are great guys and I'm sure they will have tons of experience and advice. Merry christmas!

Try washing them with BON-CC-41!

http://www.biow  odor-neutralizer

I add it to my laundry and use it around the house quite a bit!

December 5, 2009 Flag

I have a family that had a fire and the smoke smell in the clothing will not come out. What can they use to get the smell out?

By Angela from Nashville, IN

Answers:

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

Try mixing together 4 to 6 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (from a paint store), 1 cup chlorine bleach, and 1 gallon of water. Dip clothing in this then rinse in clean water. If this doesn't work you may need a smoke restorer. Look in the yellow pages under "Fire Damage Restoration". They will use an ozone treatment. This can be very expensive though. It may be cheaper to just buy new clothes. (08/28/2007)

By perfume and powder

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

Try using white vinegar in the laundry. This will take out any residue of smoke in the clothes. (08/29/2007)

By svinch

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

Our house burned and the company we hired to clean our household items and store them used a special room they called the "Ozone Room". It circulated the air with maybe a chemical overnight and cleaned the odor right out of our clothes, bedding, fabrics, upholstery, anything they could fit into the room. You might check into this with some of the fire restoration companies. (08/29/2007)

By Linda

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

I use 1 of 2 things.

1. A product called Odor Check put out by Watkins. It works like a charm.
  2. Febreze. I use it on every thing including my truck (inside).
Good luck. (08/29/2007)

By Barb

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

There was a family in my church whose house burned and they used Tide with Febreze to wash their clothes after trying other things. They said that the Tide with Febreze seemed to work better than anything and really recommended it. You might try that. (09/07/2007)

By firemanswife90

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 24, 2017
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 4:09:35 PM on 10.0.1.199 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.