Looking for Meatloaf Advice

Does anyone know how to make those dense meat loaves. I always end up with a crumbley slice. I use fresh onion, bread or cracker crumbs, and egg and ground beef as lean as I can get it. I would like to make one you can slice for a sandwich. Like at the store or on TV, right lol

SusanfromHamilton

Recipe from the 1950's!! My mother found it on a

Pet evaporated milk label. My daddy's favorite.

Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground beef (may use some ground pork, too)

1 tall can Pet evaporated milk

2 envelopes Lipton onion soup mix

Mix well (I use clean hands)

Place in loaf pans (2)

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Slices very well for sandwiches.

I use oat meal instead of bread crumbs in my meat loaf and you can never tell that I added any thing to it. I also cook my meat loaf on my broiler pan, all the grease drains in the bottom pan and the meat loaf is not greasy.

I think the problem with your crumbly meatloaf is your lean ground beef. The fat in the hamburger binds it together. I have overcome that a little by using Quick Oatmeal in place of bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, and I have even used an extra egg, and stir in a little self rising flour. I also stir in a little ketchup. Don't slice it for sandwiches until it is completely cold. It will slice much better after refrigeration. And for a change in flavor, try making your favorite meatloaf, then add a dash of ground sage to the mixture.

The meatloaf recipe on Lipton's Onion Soup packets works great. Also, really pack the meatloaf mixture tightly together with your hands before you bake it.

I too add oats to my meatloaf. I also add tomato sauce to it. Sometimes I use pizza sauce or taco sauce to jazz it up a little. I use as lean of beef as I can get too. I like to bake my loaf in a bread pan. I press it firmly down, after packing it in the loaf pan.

My father swears that what I am making could be used as bricks (he hates meatloaf). The other person had it right....cool it before you cut it.

Also I am told by my aunt that all ground meat gets "filler" added to it. She said this is mostly oats, chunks of fat and ice.

I use about 2 parts lean ground chuck to one part hot pork sausage and very little bread or crackers. Also usually tomato paste instead of ketchup in the mix, and an egg or two (depending on how much I'm making). Beyond that pretty much anything goes... garlic, onion, chopped green peppers (mild or hot), any kind of sauce that strikes my fancy, etc. I've never tried oats in it but I will; it sounds like a great idea. I top mine with either ketchup or bacon before baking it.

Easy & Moist Meatloaf:

2 lbs ground beef

1 can cream of mushroom soup (divided)

1 envelope onion soup mix

Mix beef, 3/4 can of soup, and onion soup mix well and shape into loaf. For topping either smear the top with remaining mushroom soup, OR for sweeter taste: Mix ketchup with some brown sugar (to taste) and smear on top.. bake as usual.

Thank you all for your help with the meat loaf. I tried two of your recipes. The canned milk and the oat meal and they turned out perfect. I am able to cut them with no trouble

Thanks again,

Susanfromhamilton

I had the same problem and ask my Aunt Dee just what I was doing wrong? She said you had to mix and mix. The more you mixed the better it would stick together. It worked for me hope it works for you. Good luck.

I used to have a copy of Jerry's meatloaf recipe, but it also included an applesauce topping, possibly mixed with a small amount of mustard. Does anybody know about this? I couldn't find the recipe on the Pet Milk, Lipton, or Musselman web sites.

PS -

What about mixing in some hot bulk sausage for extra flavor?

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatSeptember 2, 2004
Meatloaf
Stretching Meatloaf
Stuffed Meatloaf
Stuffed Meatloaf Recipes
Mexican Meatloaf
Mexican Meatloaf Recipes
Turkey Meatloaf
Turkey Meatloaf Recipes
🎄