Chop and Store Whole Bag of Nuts

I use a lot of nuts for baking. I discovered if I chopped the whole bag of nuts at once and store in a clean coffee container, it saves a lot of time when baking.

By msburny from Cortland, OH

I do this too. I store pecans, almonds, walnuts and cashews all chopped up and ready to go on the shelf in my freezer. When I first open the bag I will chop all of them and then put in the freezer to keep fresher till needed. Saves having to drag out the food processor when all you need is a small amount.

Keeping them in the freezer is a good idea, because nuts that are left sitting on the shelf (even in a coffee can) can go bad after a while; the oils begin to turn the flavor bitter & can become dangerous on the stomach. I also chop them all & keep in the freezer.

Scattering of pecans in and out of the shell on a white background.
Storing Nuts
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingDecember 22, 2009
Sticky buns with nuts.
Baking With Nuts
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
Chop Suey Recipes
Chop Suey Recipes