Storing Nuts

Walnuts

Store shelled nuts in the refrigerator on the upper shelf will last about a year. Frozen walnuts will be good up to two years. If shelling your own, remove the papery section that is between the two halves-it's bitter.

Pecans

Pecans absorb odors from food--store in airtight containers. Shelled pecans will last about 9 months in the refrigerator and up to 2 years frozen. You can also use them and refreeze without losing taste. In the shell they will keep in a cool, dry location for six to 12 months.

By Chell

Thank you for this one!

Whenever I buy nuts I put them immediately into the freezer. Who knows how long they were on the shelf in the grocery store before I bought them. In my freezer, I put all the nuts in one area, so I know what I have and don't have. They are also in clear ziploc bags so they are easy to identify. Last January the grocery store was clearing out assorted peanuts and cashews right after Christmas. They came in clear, plastic, awkward containers. I took them out, put them into ziploc sandwich bags and froze them. This Christmas they were wonderful. Great for a snack to take along on a trip, too. By the way, peanut butter freezes wonderfully too.

I always freeze our pecans and walnuts, too. Before adding them to baked goods, I like to warm them in the microwave until they're fragrant, stirring occasionally so they don't burn. Doesn't take long. People always comment on the good taste of nuts in my cookies, etc., so this really gives them a fresh taste.