Watch for Shrinking Package Sizes

In this economy food companies are shrinking package sizes as we have all found out. Pay very close attention shopping even at dollar stores. Check ounces on cereal boxes to get the best price for the most product. Aluminum foil has been selling 20 square feet for a dollar but if you check, you can find 25 square feet for a dollar. My grocery store has a dollar section for a lot of products and I go there first to see what I can find. Be vigilant and save money.

By Kim from Franklin Park, IL

I sure know what you mean by the shrinking package weights. You can't beat those dollar store prices compared to the average grocery store. You can buy the off-brand gelatines and puddings at a fraction of the price of a box of Jello.

Not too long ago I was buying coffee creamer at Aldi's in the 1 lb. 8 oz. container. Then the same company is selling just the 1 lb. container of coffee creamer. What happened to the other 8 oz.? I compared the cost of the 1 lb. container at Aldi's and it was cheaper to buy 1 lb. of coffee creamer at the dollar store.

Breyer's ice cream is in a smaller container and is frequently advertised as a store special.

I'll never forget when Morningstar Farms began advertsing their veggie sausge links had 1/3 less fat per serving than before. Well, that's because the serving size was reduced from 3 links to 2! It pays to pay attention to other food facts too.

It's very frustrating on the shrinking sizes. I just emptied a box of SWISS MISS that has individual packets in it. It used to be 10 packets & is now cut down to 8 packets. We also noticed TURKEY HILL ice cream used to be a 1/2 gallon then they cut it to 1.8 quart & now it is down to 1.5. I bet pretty soon it will be cut to 1 quart & yet the price does not go down. With the economy being so poor & trying our best to make ends meet it takes a lot of diligent shopping & you really have to make it a practice of reading, reading, reading & comparing, comparing, comparing.

Edy's ice cream used to be 2 qts, now it is 1.5 qts......Clorox bleach is now 3 quarts instead of 1 gallon..... Mrs Smith's frozen pies used to be huge, now they have shrunk tremendously.....but none of the prices have gone down.......it sure is frustrating!!

My Hellman's mayonnaise is 2oz less now per jar (and more expensive); our favorite brand if burritos is now 6 in a bag instead of 8, the margerine tub I buy is 3 oz smaller...all for the same prices! This economy really scares me!