Craftsmen Mower Won't Start

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor, model no. 917.2726783. I have replaced the battery. The mower has been very hard to start. It seems like the starter isn't engaging like it should. The clutch has to be just right, also. I have removed the starter thinking that it might be burned up. It was very hot when I took it off. Is there any way to check it to see if it is bad?

When the starter was on the mower it would just barely turn over. It acts like a dead battery, but I have put a new battery in it and jumped it and used my battery charger on it. This is the first time it has failed to start completely. Usually it does this and then all of a sudden it would spin over and start and then continue to start if I shut it off.

By Tom from Edmond, OK

You can bench test it. To do this, you will need a bench vise to hold it and a good battery with the rated amps for the starter. Or the safer alternative is to check the continuity of the motor with a multi meter. Why do you suspect the starter is bad?

April 30, 2013 Flag

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor, Model 247.28980. It won't do anything. When I turn the key on, lights come on and the indicator showing the key is on. When I turn the key, nothing happens. The mower is a year old. I used it two weeks ago.

By Randy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check the fuses. That happened to me as well.

August 24, 2010 Flag

I have a Craftsman 15 HP riding mower. It turns over but will not start. I have checked everything beginning with fuel, spark, coil, solenoid, flywheel key, safety switches, plug, fuse, battery, changed the oil, and put good gas in it. Everything is OK, but it cranks and does not start. A couple of days ago I was mowing and it was kind of hot out. I turned the mower off and then tried to start it again and it backfired.

By Shawn from Middletown, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 24, 2010 Flag

My Craftsman riding mower won't start. So far this year I had to replace the following: battery, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, spark plug, cleaned the carb, new oil, and fresh gas. Now my newest problem is the flywheel spins one rotation or so, but doesn't start. I charged the battery today (even though it's 2 months old, and still one or two rotations and then nothing). Please help.

By Ihatemymower from Atlanta

Answers:

Craftsmen Mower Won't Start

I just read your post to my husband and he says it sounds like the starter is bad and needs to be replaced. (06/15/2010)

By spookycuddles

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 10, 2010 Flag

My Craftsman mower won't start. I have replaced the spark plugs, key switch, and battery. Still nothing. If I jump the solenoid it fires right up. What's the problem?

By Chad from Albany, LA

Answers:

Craftsmen Mower Won't Start

My husband says that it is either the solenoid or the starter switch. (03/24/2010)

By firefly57

Craftsmen Mower Won't Start

Sounds like a problem with one of the safety switches. (05/01/2010)

By EngTech

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 22, 2010 Flag

I have a 20 hp Craftsmen mower that I bought from a friend and it won't start. So I took the carburetor apart, cleaned everything and put it back together and still won't start. I changed the plugs and air filter, but still nothing. If I put some gas in the carburetor it will run until the gas is gone. On the bottom of the carburetor there are 2 wires coming out. I followed them back to what I think is the voltage regulator. I don't know what it does so I don't know if it's bad. I know the carburetor is OK and clean, but I don't know what else to do.

By Timthedog from Waynesboro, PA

Answers:

Craftsmen Mower Won't Start

I asked my husband about your post and he suggests fuel pump gone bad or there is a clogged fuel filter or fuel line. You can blow air in the fuel line and filter and if it still doesn't start, then you have narrowed the problem to the fuel pump. Take the line loose from the carburetor and blow through. If air goes out then it's clean. (04/28/2009)

By Lorelei

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 24, 2010
Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄