Craftsmen Mower Won't Start

I have a 20 hp Craftsmen mower that I bought from a friend and it won't start. So I took the carburetor apart, cleaned everything and put it back together and still won't start. I changed the plugs and air filter, but still nothing. If I put some gas in the carburetor it will run until the gas is gone.

On the bottom of the carburetor there are 2 wires coming out. I followed them back to what I think is the voltage regulator. I don't know what it does so I don't know if it's bad. I know the carburetor is OK and clean, but I don't know what else to do.

By tim from Waynesboro, PA

Answers:

Craftsmen Mower Won't Start

I asked my husband about your post and he suggests fuel pump gone bad or there is a clogged fuel filter or fuel line. You can blow air in the fuel line and filter and if it still doesn't start, then you have narrowed the problem to the fuel pump. Take the line loose from the carburetor and blow through. If air goes out then it's clean. (04/28/2009)

By Myrna