Frugal Hair Rinse

I noticed a couple of people have asked about using vinegar on the hair. Vinegar, as well as, lemon juice can be used as an acid rinse. Both products are used to remove any build-up from the hair and scalp. Build-up clogs the pores and weighs down the hair. We are all susceptible to it and we all need to be rid of it. Using either a vinegar solution or a lemon juice solution (1part-3 parts water) as a final rinse can remove all unwanted 'stuff' from the hair and scalp leaving both fresh, clean, and healthy with no lingering odor.

For dry scalp there is a product in drug stores which is called 'Kolestoral'. It is a really inexpensive treatment for the scalp and it works. Just follow the directions on the tube.
Good luck!

Source: Learned during my apprenticeship - I am a barber/stylist.

By hairstylist from Ontario

Will it leave my hair smelling like vinegar? and can you use it on colored hair without it stripping the color?

I use apple cider vinegar after putting conditioner on my length and it washes out nicely without seeming to damage my hair color (I don't artifically color mine). NOTE 3/7/11---actually found out that acv does darken blond hair a bit. switching to lemon juice.

It needs to be noted that white vinegar and lemon juice might have some lightening effects/bleaching effects on hair color. I haven't tried either because I don't desire that effect, but have heard that has happened to people.

I not only use vinegar as a rinse/conditioner, I use baking soda for shampoo! It works great! Mix 1 T baking soda to about 1/2 cup water for shampoo; then rinse with 1 T vinegar (apple cider vinegar) to 1-2 cups water for conditioner. My hair has never been softer, shinier, or more manageable! I was amazed, but am so pleased!

And no, your hair does not smell like vinegar, since the vinegar is so diluted and you rinse it out right away. My hair just smells clean!

February 16, 2011 Flag

There is no need to buy expensive hair rinses. Just rinse your hair with a solution of either lemon juice or vinegar mixed with about 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Pour it through your hair, let it stay for a few minutes, and rinse it out. This will help remove any soap scum, too, and it will leave your hair shiny and healthy looking.

By Robin

Answers:

Frugal Hair Rinse

Way back in the olden days (1970s), I used vinegar to rinse my long hair. I had to wash my hair in the kitchen sink and didn't feel like I got all the soap out so started using the vinegar for rinsing. It worked very well, and left my hair very shiny. It even seemed to loosen some of the tangles. I recommend it too! (01/28/2005)

By jlxian

Frugal Hair Rinse

Can you use vinegar or lemon juice on chemically highlighted hair? (01/28/2005)

By Kathy

Homemade Hair Rinse Recipes
Homemade Hair Rinse Recipes
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes HairFebruary 16, 2011
Dishwasher full of dishes.
Homemade Rinse Agent Recipes
Dishwasher full of dishes.
Saving Money on Rinse Agent
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄