Cleaning Up Spilled Bleach

My daughter spilled a quart of Clorox bleach on her car seat. What can be done to absorb the strong order?

Mike from Colleyville, TX Editor's Note: Mixing bleach with other compounds can create toxic fumes, especially vinegar and ammonia. Always use caution, common sense and read the package contents and warnings before proceeding. Here is a link from the with more information:

Best Answer

I was under the impression that the bleach had spilled on the seat of a car, not a child's removeable seat. It does seem the best solution would be to flood the seat with water many times to dilute/remove the bleach from the seat fabric and padding. That is a problem! Do you have a wet/dry shop vac that you could use to suck up the water if you tried this? Does anyone know if there is a dry chemical or product that would neutralize the bleach instead of using water? I barely passed my chemistry class in high school many years ago so I'm no help there. LOL This sounds like a tough one and I wish you the best of luck in solving it!

First, keep bleach well away from a child-it is dangerous! The remove the carseat and throughly wash it with the hose. Soak it over and over. The odor should come out as the bleach is washed out of the padding, etc. Let the carseat dry in the sun, which could take a few days so you will need a back-up seat.

The seat may need to be replaced. Bleach can melt some plastice and foams. The chemical reaction causes toxic gases to be released. If nothing else, replace the seat cover. Most of them can be removed to be washed.

I Spilt bleach in trunk of car on carpet. How do I eliminate the odor?

Bleach Bottle
Cleaning Up Spilled Bleach
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoDecember 23, 2006
Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Bleach Stains
Dyeing Fabric to Cover a Bleach Stain
🎄