Permanent Marker Stains off Linoleum Floor

How can I remove black permanent marker from my linoleum? I've tried everything and nothing works.

By Vikki from England

My cousin's two year old recently found a permanent marker and drew all over their kitchen floor. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to get this out? None of the cleaners she has tried have worked so far. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Doublejjbraun

Response By CRMom:

Try bug spray. This really does work.

Response By Susan:

I just had great success removing permanent marker stains from a vinyl baby doll's head using hydrogen peroxide. I swabbed the mark with the peroxide and let the doll sit in the sun for a couple hours. I had tried EVERYTHING (acetone nail polish remover, bleach, paint thinner, citrus oil, Mr. Clean Eraser sponge. The mark is almost gone. I plan to repeat the process until it's completely gone. Found this on a website devoted to doll care - http://www.prillycharmin.com/restore/1oxy10.htm

The website recommends Oxy 10 acne cream but I decided to just try the peroxide and it seems to be working.

Response By Marianne:

Hi, I just had an "emergency" with my 2 sons coloring with red and blue permanent markers on the new linoleum in our kitchen this morning. I found this forum (thank goodness!). I tried the hairspray technique and it worked!!! It took a little scrubbing but did the trick!

Response By Phelps:

If the floor has lost it's protective clear coat and it's basicaly just vinyl, exposed. the marker could have permanently dyed it and you are out of luck.

I guess it has to do with the way vinyl 'wicks' and perhaps the ink molecules are small enough to lock in between every nook and cranny of the vinyl molecules...hence permanently dying it.

I experimented heavily on trying to remove various colors of markers and ink (ball point) from the heads of vinyl baby doll heads. I was able to reduce the marks but not totally eliminate them. I used bleach, acetone, laquer thinner, (and other of these type of volotile solvents that come in those metal square cans)degreasers, goo gone, goof off, oven cleaner, vinegar and concentrated citrus cleaners and other things. Like I said, I only could reduce the intensity of the stain..not eliminate it.

The bottom line: Dyes are both a blessing and a curse.if you could esily remove something that has the properties of a dye, then stuff like clothes and carpets would turn white after a while, from cleaning them.

Response By cheryl:

just spray hairspray on it and wipe with paper towel.

Response By Kerri

Nail polish remover has worked well for me too--but you have to use the kind with acetone in it. :)

Response By nevaeh78420:

Try mean green from the dollar stores my son had put marker on the walls and i just sprayed it on no wiping or anything it took it right off

Response By michelleanne:

Try using the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. For me that works small miracles.

Response By Derek:

Try a product called Orange De-Solv it. It is in the cleaner isle at Wal-Mart, and I found this stuff to remove just about anything. I even managed to get permanent marker off my wooden table after the kids marked on it by using this stuff. If that doesn't work, try Bon Ami scouring powder- it is about the least abrasive, yet very good cleaner I have used for stains like this.

Response By Praiz777:

Try nail polish remover. I am not sure it will remove from linoleum, but I have used it to remove from hands and cabinet top.

Hope this helps. :o)

Response By Praiz777:

Hope this helps. :o)

When I'm doing crafts, I use Rubbing Alcohol. If you worried about your floor, you should dab it on with a Q-tip & let sit a minute. As a second, stronger option, have you tried Fingernail Polish Remover? If you already have, make sure it was the kind that's not made for artificial nails! The "Regular" type is stronger.

When I worked for Boeing, they used Ketone to remove permanent marker & a whole host of things. You buy it at the hardware store. & use with an open window!

Try spraying WD 40 on it, wait a minute and wipe off.

I have used nail polish remover at work to remove permanent marker just put on cotton ball and rub it off.

If all else fails try rubbing gently with an sos pad.

Try this trick: It usually works. take one of those dry erase markers in the same color of the permanent marker and color over the permanent marker then wipe off. It should take up the permanent marker when you wipe it off. It works almost every time.

My 3 year old decided to draw on the linoleum floor this morning with blue permanent marker. Found this website and tried the nail polish remover trick and it brought it right up and wiped away with a paper towel.

Thanks

Scubby bubbles!!! It works!!

Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsNovember 5, 2009
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Removing Permanent Marker
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎄