If you are looking for some small gift for a teacher's Christmas, this may be just the thing. Your child can help make this. Be sure to supervise, though, since it involves gluing with a glue gun.
Approximate Time: about an hour
- 1 1/2 inch wooden candle cup
- 1 1/2 inch piece from a Popsicle stick
- 3 golf tees, any color
- wood scraps 1 1/2 X 1 X 1/2 for books
- toothpick and cardstock for sign
- white acrylic paint for base coating
- acrylic paints in your choice of colors
- black Sharpie pen
- hot glue gun
- Sand wood scraps for the books.
If you prefer, you can buy small books in the woodcraft section at the craft store.
- Base coat on all surfaces with white acrylic paint.
You can use my photo as a guide in painting the pieces or choose your own colors.
- Paint one side and one edge for book cover and write titles with a Sharpie.
- Stack them randomly to your liking and hot glue them together. Set aside.
- Paint the candle cup and set aside.
- Sharpen the end of the golf tee, and cut off the top to make the pencils.
- Paint them as you like and paint the point
white and add a dot of black for the lead.
- Mark the piece of Popsicle stick to represent a ruler.
- Make the "Special Teacher" sign on card stock and glue
to a toothpick. You could put the teacher's name on the sign.
- Drizzle a little hot glue in the inside bottom of the candle cup and position the sign, the ruler, and a couple pencils inside as shown.
- Glue the stack of books to the side of the cup.
By Harlean from Arkansas from Hot Springs, AR
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.