Concerns Over the Prep for a Colonoscopy

I am having a colonoscopy done on Monday. I am very concerned about the prep more than the procedure. Does anyone have any tips to get me through this? I am already having bowel problems and I am hoping the prep doesn't bring on worse problems. To get the specific results the Dr. wants I have to do the mobi prep.
Help and thanks.

By Sandy from Baltimore, MD

I have had 2 procedures and other than the taste of the prep and the amount I had to drink nothing bad happened. One thing I will tell you and that is to make sure you stay very near the bathroom once you have taken the medication. I was given valium before the procedure and watched what the doctor was doing on the TV screen. No after effects either. Good luck with the procedure and hope everything goes well for you.

When I had mine, they used Go-Lytely, and it is grossly miss named! But keep in mind, that the colon has to be clean, or they won't be able to see what they are looking for. It is too expensive a procedure to have to be done another day.

Stay at home, and don't eat any red foods if you are allowed clear liquids. For the two days that I had to be on clear liquids only, I ate red jello, Gatorade, etc. Needless to say, when they did the scope, the doctor thought at first that he saw blood, but it was just residue from the red dye, so if you have had red dyed foods, do let your doctor know.

Those are good suggestions. I would also add that you might just want to cut back your food in general for the week before you start prepping. The less that is there in you colon, the less you will have to get rid of, if you know what I mean. Also, ask if you can be completely knocked out during the procedure itself. It will be over in not time.

I just had one done a week ago. Nothing to worry about. I used the same product. Was advised to mix with 7 up or another flavor, lemonade, apple juice etc. I used raspberry lemonade in concentrated form, no artificial colors etc. Mix and refrigerate. I also did not sip the glassful, just drank as much as fast as I could if you get my drift. Makes taste better. As I stated best is to use something other than water and to refrigerate and drink cold. Good luck!

I just had a colonoscopy also and was advised to not eat fruits or vegetable (roughage) for several days ahead which made the prep much easier. I was also told not to eat or drink anything with red in it during the prep Make Jello and I was also allowed to have clear liquids such as tea, clear sodas etc. The prep is worse that the procedure my Dr. put me out and It was over in no time and I also have bowel problems. you will need to take it easy and not drive for a day . Good Luck.

I would suggest eating light for several days prior to the prep, even replacing some solid meals with liquid if you can. Do not eat any red or orange colored foods. The prep is the worst part, as you've been told, but you'll get through it. Use petroleum jelly on your backside before the "action" starts to help protect delicate skin, or you may get raw down there. Don't wipe hard, pat. That's the best advice I can give you for the prep. Oh, and eat light for a day or two following the test.

The anticipation is much worse than the actual colonoscopy. If you have bowel problems, this is the best way to find out how to fix them. Everyone needs to have one.

Sandy, I hope you get this before Monday. I had 2 very close together. You know that gallon of liquid you have to drink, You mix in crystal light lemonade. Sandy, keep this in the fridge. My doctor put this in the pre-info instructions. That will make it easy for you and don't worry, nothing to it. Take care, joanie

Ps. one pkg.of Crystal Light is enough

The procedure is very tolerable. However, the prep is a pain in the butt & I would strongly advise you to stay close to the bathroom. Once the action starts, grab a book & park yourself in the bathroom as it doesn't let up for a long time. Happy trails to you.

Doctor Holding Colonoscopy Sign
Prepping for a Colonoscopy
Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 5, 2010
Limiting Fights Over the TV
Limiting Fights Over the TV
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Ninja Master Prep
Using a Ninja Master Prep
Ninja Prep Master Pro
Recipes for the Ninja Prep Master Pro
🎉
🎄