Alternate Liquid for Colonoscopy

Before I had my colonoscopy, my mom gave me the name of a product to purchase at the drug store. I took this product to the Dr. going to do my colonoscopy and asked if I could drink this product instead of the big jug of product he was handing me.

He took my product and read it, and with a funny look on his face, said, "Where did you get this?"

I replied, "at the drugstore."

He said, "No, what I mean to say is, 'How did you know about this product?"

I said, "from my mom, she was able to use this instead of the big big jug of stuff, for her colonoscopy."

He shook his head and said, "Yes, by all means, go ahead and use this, Thanks for letting me know about this!"

So I got out of using the big jug of stuff, Thankfully! The name of the product is called: Evac-Q-Kwik bowel cleansing system, (saline laxative. It's sugarfree and lemon flavored.) One 10 oz. bottle is all it takes. Its manufacturer is Savage Laboratories. For your next colonoscopy, hope you're able to find this product, too!

By Terri from NV

Yes, When I have my colonoscopy my doctor also tells me to pick up a product at the drug store that is about 10 oz.. I don't recall the name but it is not expensive. I know it does the job because I watch the proceedure on a color monitor and my colon is very clean. The only time I had to drink a half gallon of that other vile stuff was when I had colon surgery. I also have a colonoscopy every 5 years instead of the recommended 10 years.

Ya know, the worst part of the colonoscopy is the prep! We used a half bottle of something that was lemon flavored) mixed with whatever (nothing red or carbonated) so I used a bottle of lemonade. To this day, I can not stomach lemonade! It worked tho. We also had to use dulcolax, to be sure we were really clean!

Thanks so much for posting this. I have had only one colonoscopy and I had to drink the gallon of stuff. By the time I got to the end I was vomiting big time. I do not have to have one yet but when I do I am going to be sure to ask if I can use this product. Thanks again.

There is a bottle of cleanser that can be used. It is called Citrus Citrate. It's about 10 or 12 ounces. It is rather nasty and I can't stand lemon-lime drinks now either (previous feedback by guest). Believe me I do understand. However, now there is also a cherry flavored one that is no where nearly as bad. You just have to ask for it. No way I can drink a gallon of that other stuff. I can't stand to drink just plain water now, either. Remember Cherry Citrate!

Thanks for this tip. I have dear friends who have to have colonoscopies every few years, and this may make it easier for both of them.

Please check with your doctor before substituting for the Go-litely. Their are replacement electrolytes in the mixture with the big jug. It could be dangerous under some circumstances for you to miss having them. Potassium, sodium, etc. are necessary for life and you lose tham from your body when you have liquid stools.

Hi, I was not suggesting to use Anything without consulting your MD. I could not imagine anyone taking a medication for a procedure without consulting their MD. Many MD.s contiue to use the same medications that they generally use for all their patients. I have worked for a gastroenterologist for many years, plus I have Crohns. You have to take responsibility for your own health if you have problems with something. Most MD's respect this attitude and will work with you.

What was the name of the drug store? I am having trouble finding Evac Q Kwik. No one seems to have heard of it. Thanks

Hello Mary,

I got mine at Walgreens drug store. Back by the pharmacy, along the back wall, near the bottom shelf. Hope you can find it, too!

Terri